Having to log on everytime I open my browser

vagabond48

In the past if I logged in I would use the option to "remember me" which has always worked. I am on W7 and the FF 30. I haven't installed any new apps.

Yesterday, I logged off so I can let a friend log on to TV. He logged off when he finished.

I logged on as usual with the "remember me" but after he finished using my laptop, I shutdown my laptop. When I started up my laptop, access TV, my log in id was gone. I am now forced to re enter my id every time I open my browser. It is a bit of a nuisance.

Did your or your friend clear browsing data when finished?

From support.mozilla.org:

Websites remembering you and automatically log you on is stored in a cookie.

• Create an allow cookie exception (Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: Exceptions) to keep such a cookie, especially for secure websites and if cookies expire when Firefox is closed.

Make sure that you do not run Firefox in Private Browsing mode.

Do not use Clear Recent History to clear the "Site Preferences" and the "Cookies" as this doesn't take exceptions into account, but removes all specified data.

Clearing "Site Preferences" clears all exceptions for cookies, images, pop-up windows, software installation, and passwords.

Also:

Under two conditions Firefox won't fill the name automatically and that is either when you are in Private Browsing mode or when the website code has an attribute autocomplete="off".

A third possibility can be that the signon.autofillForms pref is set to false on the about:config page like I prefer.

But if you want website to remember you and automatically log you in then you need to keep the cookie(s) that stores choice.

Do you still see the cookies from that website when you check that?

• Create a cookie 'allow' exception to keep such cookies, especially for secure websites and when cookies expire when Firefox is closed.
  • Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: Exceptions

In case you are using "Clear history when Firefox closes":

• do not clear the Cookies
  • do not clear the Site Preferences

Note that clearing "Site Preferences" clears all exceptions for cookies, images, pop-up windows, software installation, and passwords.

Clearing cookies will remove all specified (selected) cookies including cookies with an allow exception that you want to keep.

Could also be that your FireFox configuration somehow became corrupted.  Can you view your password data and is it correct?