PC verses Laptop for business

axact

All said in the subject of ergonomics between a laptop and a PC might be true, but one fact remains,In an unsecured location, such  as the OP described, where the computer could be stolen, a laptop  is the simplest solution. One must remember that the computer if lost not only would cost money, but it would cost in the loss of a lot of propitiatory information contained in it's hard drive.

555 - How is a laptop more secure than a bolted down tower? Plus when replacing the hardware the tower is half the price for twice the power! (and the software is identical to replace or lose, unless you factor in how easy it is to lose the laptop and how often you will need to reload).

As I mention in an earlier post, I used Lop tops in my Jewelry kiosk operation, where i did not want to leave the computer there at night, The computer containing Business, and customer, propitiatory information. The Laptop was more secure, because it was removed and stored  in the office at night.During the day it is secured by a lock cable.

But I am glad to see that you are easily entertained 555

Edited by sirineou

"one fact remains,In an unsecured location, such  as the OP described, where the computer could be stolen, a laptop  is the simplest solution"

That is NOT a fact in anyone's mind but your own.

'In an unsecured location, such  as the OP described, where the computer could be stolen, a laptop  is the' easier of the two choices to steal.

A properly secured PC is much safer than a laptop.

99% of businesses use PCs for multiple reasons. Security being one of them.

FYI: I am a retired International Computer Consultant. My last few contracts included working for Dairy Farm, Asia, in Hong Kong as a Data Consultant specializing in data security. I wrote their disaster recovery plan. Also Data Administrator for the Credit Reference Association of Australia before that and, after that, Project Manager for the Japanese translation of OS/390 for IBM (their flagship operating system for mainframe computers).

IMHO: There is no debate on this issue amongst those who have the knowledge to debate it. PCs are THE only logical choice unless there is a requirement to access data from more than 3 locations. Even then, most times, the main location will be a PC. It is more reliable, cheaper, more powerful, the input devices are more accurate and its components can be replaced and upgraded as needed.

Edited by RecklessRon

"one fact remains,In an unsecured location, such  as the OP described, where the computer could be stolen, a laptop  is the simplest solution"

That is NOT a fact in anyone's mind but your own.

'In an unsecured location, such  as the OP described, where the computer could be stolen, a laptop  is the' easier of the two choices to steal.

A properly secured PC is much safer than a laptop.

99% of businesses use PCs for multiple reasons. Security being one of them.

FYI: I am a retired International Computer Consultant. My last few contracts included working for Dairy Farm, Asia, in Hong Kong as a Data Consultant specializing in data security. I wrote their disaster recovery plan. Also Data Administrator for the Credit Reference Association of Australia before that and, after that, Project Manager for the Japanese translation of OS/390 for IBM (their flagship operating system for mainframe computers).

IMHO: There is no debate on this issue amongst those who have the knowledge to debate it. PCs are THE only logical choice unless there is a requirement to access data from more than 3 locations. Even then, most times, the main location will be a PC. It is more reliable, cheaper, more powerful, the input devices are more accurate and its components can be replaced and upgraded as needed.

You are being very reckless dear Ron.

My solution is simple and inexpensive, During the day, secure the lap top with a laptop security device, readily an cheaply available, at night remove loptop from unsecured location to a more secure location, But I am only a local businessman

As an International Computer Consultant, please advice us how you would , inexpensively and easily,secure a Desk top computer in an unsecured location at night.  

And ofcourse I am sure as an International Computer consultant you would know that the correct terminology is  Laptop and Deck top and that both are PCs  

"My solution is simple and inexpensive," sirineou

Please explain how buying a laptop is cheaper than buying a tower? Especially with equal RAM, CPU, Hard Drive(s), Graphics and Ports (let alone Power Supply, expansion bays, etc). 

FYI: Cases can be bolted down to a location for the cost of drilling a few (usually 4) holes through the case and the counter. No-head bolts can be fed from underneath and nuts can be tightened on the inside of the case, which you then securely lock. Desktops towers can be locked shut as securely as a door (spend an extra $20 to get a secure case), requiring a crowbar to open or cutting tools. Alternatively the tower can be unplugged and locked in a cupboard, safe or taken elsewhere if the area is THAT unsecure!

And as for PC and Laptop being the same I am old school. PC stands for Personal Computer and it was patented by IBM when they released their first one to market. It was a tower. Most hardware people use the terms PC and Laptop to refer to IBM compatible Towers and Portable Devices regardless of type or manufacturer. However, technically, you are correct. I should have said TOWER everywhere I said PC. I apologize to all readers who were confused - I suspect there were not too many of them.

Lastly I spent over 25 years working over 40 contracts in 6 different countries so don't be a dick about the 'International Computer Consultant' thing - I've earned, and deserve, that title!

Edited by RecklessRon