Pronouncing Certain English Letters And Symbols

~G~

As the title implies, this is not really a question about the Thai language, but rather how to pronouce certain english words in a way that will be understood by most Thais.

For example, the letter "H". If I need to spell my email on the phone, the Thai listener always thinks I either say "A" or "S" (unless I specify "H as in Holland"). I tried to listen to Thais pronoucning it - it sound like "Heytch" rather than "Eaytch". How do Thai schools teach to pronounce "H"?

Another one I have problems with is the "@" sign as in emails. English speakers understand "AT" but I find it very difficult to communicate it on the phone to Thais. Any suggestions?

Computerese on the phone in Thai seems nearly impossible. My husband (a native Thai speaker) has had numerous aggravating conversations with Thai service personnel trying to explain things in "computerese". Seems they can read the messages but cannot understand them when spoken (ie fatal error).

As for the "H", yes I believe it is pronounced "haitch" but I have found when Thais are spelling English names out to each other in Thai they use the H for Holland scenario every time.

"Eaytch" for H was what i was taught in Thai school... but it's difficult for some Thais to differentiate it with "S", so I guess, somehow, a lot of people began to call it..."Heytch".

I'm annoyed by that too. IMO, you shouldn't use "Heytch", just use "H as in Holland". This way, you'd be a part of helping them to learn the right pronuciation.

As for @, Thai call it "Ad" .... I don't think it'd be a problem if you specify that you're going to tell them an email address.

Edited by patri

You might want to try using the letter chart I posted last week for the common letters:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=787460

Agree with patri about @ being 'ad'. You could perhaps clarify by saying 'khreuang maai 'ad'' (khreuang maai meaning symbol) although I have never heard a Thai do this - it is just my own idea.

I have listened to my Thai friends on the phone, and they generally manage to convey email addresses without a problem.

Thanks to all those who answered.

I have just asked another Thai to pronounce "H" and it sounds like a long "head" more than anything else to me (I could never guess it's an H).

I have listened to my Thai friends on the phone, and they generally manage to convey email addresses without a problem.

I am sure they do, but I don't! :o Will try your suggestion with the "krueang maai".