What's falling from my woven ceiling?

I live in a little bungalow with a ceiling of panels of woven bamboo strips (?).

Something small and gritty, a bit like uneven sand, falls sometimes.

I suspect it is some insect or insect crap or a cast off tiny shell.

Mostly it is at the edges which suggests something crawling up the walls inside the ceiling.

Sometimes it seems to be actually under things like the eiderdown.

This suggests it may actually be the insect or micro mollusc itself.

It is not pleasant to arrive home and have to sweep this stuff off the sofa or even bed sheet.

What is it?

(I also need to look at the easiest way to relieve the situation)

thanks!

It's sawdust from the bamboo, which is being eaten by insects.
You need to pressure treat the bamboo with borax before you put it up.

Hi A1A

Despite me suggesting other things you seem to be quite clear on this.
Where did you learn that?

It is hopeful in that I'd really like to avoid replacing the whole ceiling, or putting a polythene liner on top (which if you're right wouldn't work!)
You think maybe it could just be sprayed?
On another house where the ceiling was replaced he said there were three layers of the woven stuff, and only the lowest was replaced.
This suggests a spray needs to come from above......but that may be difficult to saturate right through.
Perhaps do in sections and have a liner on floor so one can really spray it thoroughly.

This really needs to be done so all advice/experience gratefully accepted.

ps thanks TRogers but prefer to avoid it's actually quite a nice finish and suits the teak house which by the way is rented.
(Still paying very old rent prefer not to make waves if it can be done cheaply)
(Also suggests friend's house new lower layer may come under attack though been ok a year)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I doubt spraying will work now it's infected. sad.png  

Why not get some of those wrap round things the girls wear at the beach or just some nice lengths of cloth and tack them on the ceiling to catch the dust stuff from falling down.

smile.png

Why not get some of those wrap round things the girls wear at the beach or just some nice lengths of cloth and tack them on the ceiling to catch the dust stuff from falling down.

smile.png

Any reason you think spraying won't work Daffy?

(I was thinking one could go in from above. It is a very shallow pitch roof with the corrugated small sheets above so may be very difficult to access by removing panels below)

As for the other idea I kinds thought of hanging muslin but it's too fussy.

Thanks for thinking of it though

If you take a close look at the bamboo,you will most likely find its

full of small holes .from insect infestation,get some termite and

borer spray ,cannot remember the name,but its a orange black can ,

and has a very fine metal piece to spray into holes,crevices, spray

that and it most likely kill them,but the house will stink of chemicals

for a while, so spray and go out.

You can find it in supermarkets,hardware outlets, 

regards worgeordie

I think you mean Chaindrite Geordie.

Hmmm...

Would prefer the much less toxic borax solution if poss……and it would take a lot of cans of Chaindrite and you'd have to be suited up, and then a big cleanup underneath in the living space.

We're talking a 36sqm ceiling……or at least a fair bit of it.

smile.png

Any reason you think spraying won't work Daffy?
(I was thinking one could go in from above. It is a very shallow pitch roof with the corrugated small sheets above so may be very difficult to access by removing panels below)

As for the other idea I kinds thought of hanging muslin but it's too fussy.

Thanks for thinking of it though

If you do a google search for people building bamboo houses in Thailand, you will find many discussions on creatures eating the bamboo.
Those who pressure treat with borax before assembly have few problems.
Those not treating, have a rain of fine dust, like you.

It doesn't appear that anything can be done, once the creatures are inside the bamboo.
  • Like 1

I think you mean Chaindrite Geordie.

Hmmm...

Would prefer the much less toxic borax solution if poss……and it would take a lot of cans of Chaindrite and you'd have to be suited up, and then a big cleanup underneath in the living space.

We're talking a 36sqm ceiling……or at least a fair bit of it.

Yes Chaindrite Crack and Crevice Spray....... awful stuff for making you cough and getting into your chest.

I use it to get the ghekos out from behind things!

Termites are difficult to get rid of using sprays, they are all over the place and come back. There is always a chance of a nest being built on the top of the false ceiling too that will come crashing through one day. Best to keep softwoods to a minimum.

I has similar problem some time ago while renting a shack on the beach (in the days when I was young free and single rolleyes.gif ) and I tried to spray them away.

Used several cans of the toxic stuff but nothing worked.

As mentioned above once they are in they are IN and impossible to get rid off.

sad.png

• Like 1

Greetings Cheeryble, I'm a newbie on here but by no means either in Asia or to this problem.

What you have in your ceiling is one or other variety of weevil. It could be a grain weevil, wood weevil or similar. They are known by a number of names but "bok bok" is a common name. All bamboo and natural wood construction suffers from this if it is not protected prior to installation. Even then, protection is not guaranteed for very long because the chemicals break down over time. The simple solution is 'Drenching' with an ordinary pesticide and this should be done every year to keep the bugs away. They are tenacious little buggers and if you've ever kept flour in an unsealed container, you'll have seen their friends crawling around in it. If you want peace of mind, I suggest you ask a local pest control company to spray it for you. Then you'll see how to do it properly yourself in future and it won't cost much for the lesson. You can buy all the stuff you need locally.

This is what you're hunting:

[attachment=278073:Bamboo Weevil.jpg]

TERMITE !!.

I used to have similar fine sand thing in my apartment (USA) I could not find it where it came from. I finally found it one day that it came from a Thai wooden carving animal hanging ornament. Actually it had been inside since I bought it and brought it back to USA. Good thing that I found it before it spreaded to other wooden furnitures. I used Shelldrite insect spray for termite. I sprayed  until it was soaking wet and repeated it for a few days. Termites must have been drowned, hahaha.

http://61-91-236-120.static.asianet.co.th/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/directtoshop/shelldrite-5l-cr-termite-rem---prev-p15433

In your case, it is impossible to treat it but to burn it.

Edited by BrooklynNY

khaowong1, on 06 Aug 2014 - 10:17, said:

Had the same happen to me in rural Lopburi.  Termites.  Impossible to get rid of.  Had to change out the whole ceiling.  smile.png

I tend to agree with this statement.

If dust is already falling from around the edges and you have 3 layers of bamboo, the lot needs replacing.

Sometimes timber is beyond repair by any kind of treatment. It's infected to much.

It may be a nice feature but if you do replace it with the same material, make sure it's pre-treated and as already mentioned it will need to be retreated every year.

It's a high maintenance product.

Thanks for the wonderful (though somewhat conflicting) replies and the rather charming weevil.

I seem to have struck a chord even if there's not a clear solution.

Well if nothing else i am heartened that it ain't anything crapulent.....when my 80yo sister comes to stay it's much better if if can say "it's little bits of bamboo" then you know what.

Ok better do a bit more searching I didn't get far first time.
Stay tuned and don't stop.
Information is power.

ps is it actually bamboo? It's like woven reed but I suspect small bamboo which has been finely sliced and woven.
I once saw someone (elsewhere) using a little gadget fixed to the table with a blade sticking up they use to cut fine slices of something and make a weave of it.
Photo to come tonight.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app Edited by cheeryble

First thing I would do is get a powerful magnifying glass or a cheap microscope. Look at the ''dust'' to make sure its dust from ceiling and not body parts of dead ants. Ants when they die, are dismembered by the live ones and deposited in their version of a cemetary, which can and do drop to the floor, counters, etc. If it is ant remnants than treat the attic area, if you can get above the ceiling, with a good ant poison food. I had this issue in the last place I lived. Going online and doing lots of researching I found an awesome bait that kills the entire nest, including eggs in 3 days.

http://www.antbuster.com/product.asp

Then again if its ceiling particles falling, find out what is causing it. If its not ants, has the place had a regular schedule of termite treatment?

Good luck.

Interesting about the ants.
Oddly enough I don't generally have an ant problem below.

You're right I also decided it needs a proper inspection of the grit.
Will do that ASAP

Ceiling below.
The second pic shows a poorer patch, but oddly that doesn't seem to make a deposit, above the bed the ceiling looks pretty good but issues grit.

[attachment=278120:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1407317179.541405.jpg][attachment=278121:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1407317199.234617.jpg]

My favoured option so far is to spray with borax solution.
As it's a shallow pitch roof this may be best done by removing ceiling tiles (corrugated).
Just clear the furniture from half the room and let the borax drip through to the fantastic 16-18 inch track floorboards then let it drip through or mop away.

The question being would the borax work?

Funny a friend also mentioned today his mum or someone in US used to mix borax with flours and distribute above ceiling and everywhere. it would kill cockroaches and all sorts (though cockroaches are pretty rare)

So, magnifying glass.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app Edited by cheeryble

OK big....and intriguing news.
TWO posters are vindicated!

Let me help you visualise.
There are two areas that really bother me:
On and around the bed.
On the sofa bed I lounge on the other side of the room.

Ijust got home and put two pairs of reading glasses on.

I collected from the two areas.

I have TWO types of detritus clearly visible.....
Andyfarquars tiny bits of something like bamboo on the bed
Featography's broken up little black ants on the lounger.

[attachment=278143:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1407350422.508341.jpg][attachment=278144:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1407350441.064997.jpg]

Ok I think a limited operation....I can be happy enough to sort out those two areas alone:

Step 1 (with readers permission):
Take out a ceiling panel from each area to inspect.

If evidence of bok bok for the bamboo bits over the bed: soak the panels over the bed in borax or even replace them with new treated panels...about 6
For the tiny ants on the lounger: more progress maybe good news: I just was thinking the ceiling doesn't look too bad quite tightly woven how do the ants fall through.
I inspected the wall and flyscreen windows (nearly no glass in my house) above the lounger and noticed one ant.
I tapped....and out they came!!

So...the best way to get rid of small ants in a specific area?
Is it spray or is there something more systemic to last longer?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble

Sorry Featography I had to look up your name and edit time ran out.

Forgot about your Antbuster it sounds almost perfect.

Ingredients:

• Tetramethrin 0.45%
  • Alphacypermethrin 0.02%

Bearing in mind I've never bought anything online other than Kindle books, these don't sound unusual insecticides they are pyrethrins…..can I get something locally to do the same job? Could anyone look at any antkiller they have in a powder or granule form please and check the ingredients?

(yeah I'll look online too)

Edited by cheeryble

I found the best long term ant and other insect killers is this stuff:-

[attachment=278153:Ant Killer.jpg]

You have to dilute and spray it on.  One of those small hand held spray bottles that people use for ironing or spraying the indoor plants will do and the effect lasts several months.

Be careful not to get it on - you it itches like crazy   w00t.gif

biggrin.png