Problems at Don Mueang Immigration

Hello

So I flew to Siam Reap today and I'm going to have a few days holiday before I head back to Bangkok on Friday.  

I had a few problems with immigration they took my passport into the Immigration/overstay fee room and were discussing it for a while before they came back and asked if I was doing a re-entry I kind of didn't know what she was asking so I said I was leaving Thailand on the 23rd wasn't sure what she meant. It might be because I took the same trip last month and they are suspicious, I'm honestly not working here illegally and will be leaving soon but I need a few weeks to get my house in order so to speak. 

Now underneath my exit stamp they have written Re-entry visa.  I haven't booked my ticket yet so have no proof that I'm leaving and I'm slightly worried that they are not going to let me back in on Friday or will only give me 7 days.

Thanks

Jody

That is the new procedure. Re-entry visa thing must be their equivalent of out/in. From their guidelines..

[quote] The alien must not enter the Kingdom by exploiting 30-day visa exemptions undertaking method “in-out” or called by foreigners as “Visa run”. Aliens use the advantage of Tourist Visa Exemption by leaving Thailand and returning immediately for the purpose of extending their stay, which is considered from the tourism point of view to be longer than necessary and not in line with the purpose permitted while entering country.

[/quote]

Thanks again ubonjoe. In line with your previous posts, the focus is yet again on visa exempt. I missed the clarification post from the OP.

I had a few problems with immigration they took my passport into the Immigration/overstay fee room and were discussing it for a while before they came back and asked if I was doing a re-entry I kind of didn't know what she was asking so I said I was leaving Thailand on the 23rd wasn't sure what she meant. It might be because I took the same trip last month and they are suspicious, I'm honestly not working here illegally and will be leaving soon but I need a few weeks to get my house in order so to speak. 

Now underneath my exit stamp they have written Re-entry visa.  I haven't booked my ticket yet so have no proof that I'm leaving and I'm slightly worried that they are not going to let me back in on Friday or will only give me 7 days.

There is no 7 days given at the airport, you risk being refused. The fact that they have stamped may indicate that it you have been warned for now.

To be on the safe side you shoudl get a tourist visa in Cambodia. Had you done that before you would have saved the trips, their cost and the hassling.

I came here two years ago, got a job with all of the correct visas and work permits, I finished my contract on the 4th of July, work cancelled the visa and I was given 7 days to get out of Thailand but wanted to actually be a tourist for a couple of months and the lease on my apartment is up on the 23rd, by which time I should be headed out to my next destination( I haven't decided where yet) therefore I have no ticket and just assumed I would be okay getting a couple of 30 day visa exempt stamps.

OP, I have never heard of Thai immigration caring about where you go, or how often you go somewhere. In fact, from a touristic or even business point of view, going to the same destination once a month might actually make more sense than just going there once for a visa run. That's because for all they know, you could have legitimate business or a job over in Cambo. However, the problem that I can sense here is that they are concerned you are spending too much time in Thailand on visa exempt entries. I gather you haven't overstayed though, right?

I also have never heard of any visa exempt nationality getting a re-entry permit on a visa exempt stamp. Not sure if immigration will even do it.

I came here two years ago, got a job with all of the correct visas and work permits, I finished my contract on the 4th of July, work cancelled the visa and I was given 7 days to get out of Thailand but wanted to actually be a tourist for a couple of months and the lease on my apartment is up on the 23rd, by which time I should be headed out to my next destination( I haven't decided where yet) therefore I have no ticket and just assumed I would be okay getting a couple of 30 day visa exempt stamps.

So you left on the 4th or on the 10th or 11th last month, went to Cambodia, came back and now you just left again for the second time since your job ended? Is that correct?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So you left on the 4th or on the 10th or 11th last month, went to Cambodia, came back and now you just left again for the second time since your job ended? Is that correct?

Yes that's correct Tomtomtom69 I've never overstayed, never been in trouble apart from being late for my 90 day report once.  What I think has happened is she hasn't noticed that my previous Non B visa is no longer valid and thinks I need a  re-entry permit.   She actually wrote on my passport under the exit stamp 'reentry visa'.   

Worst case scenario is spending a week in Cambodia getting a tourist visa, I'm okay with that.

Hopefully It's just a clerical error and I will get a decent immigration officer who will let me in with me being hugely apologetic.  I will be booking a flight to Japan, at least it's stopped me procrastinating, so will have proof of further travel.

I'm off to enjoy my mini break but will keep you posted as to the outcome as this is a bit of a weird case.

Thanks

Worst case scenario is spending a week in Cambodia getting a tourist visa, I'm okay with that.

Hopefully It's just a clerical error and I will get a decent immigration officer who will let me in with me being hugely apologetic.  I will be booking a flight to Japan, at least it's stopped me procrastinating, so will have proof of further travel.

I'm off to enjoy my mini break but will keep you posted as to the outcome as this is a bit of a weird case.

Thanks

I don't know why, but something in your plans put a bug's ear up someone's bum at immigration.

I'm sure it's all a tiny misunderstanding. don't let ThaiVisa  <blanks> like captspectre bother you.

I hope you've had a wonderful time here and enjoy your next destination immensely.

The minute you knew you wanted to stay for another two months you should have left the country with the intent of getting a Tourist Visa which is good for two months and extendable for one more month.  Almost certainly doing what you wanted in the old days would have worked just fine, but these days there is a strong probability you will have problems with back to back VOA's.

As someone else said, while in Cambodia get a Tourist Visa.

Good luck.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes that's correct Tomtomtom69 I've never overstayed, never been in trouble apart from being late for my 90 day report once.  What I think has happened is she hasn't noticed that my previous Non B visa is no longer valid and thinks I need a  re-entry permit.   She actually wrote on my passport under the exit stamp 'reentry visa'.   

Although it's speculation, like most of what's written in this thread, the note could imply that you need a visa to re-enter.

Since she did ask: "if I was doing a re-entry," she wanted to know if you were planning to re-enter the country. I doubt they would have missed your 7 day extension or the visa exempt entries, especially since she discussed your case with other officers.

I also doubt they'd give you 7 days if you're trying to re-enter the country since that's normally what's given when an application for an extension is made and denied.

If you plan to fly back into Thailand, it's always possible you'll have problems boarding your flight with no current visa and no flight booked out of the country and an accumulation of Thai stamps/visa/extensions in your passport. The airlines must be getting a bit wary of potential entry refusals.

Sounds strange. I just mention Cambodia due to the number of people who returned there after the crackdown was announced - illegal labor, etc.

I doubt many Cambodian laborers post on Thai Visa or fly into Thailand. Pretty sure immigrations could figure out she wasn't Cambodian as well.

Edited by Suradit69

There would have been no issue previously, it's just that with this clampdown, it seems everyone (including the immigration officials) are quite nervous and anxious about putting a foot wrong with big brother watching over their shoulders.

Read that you will buy an onward ticket to Japan - if you show this to them, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

I don't have a visa I was hoping for another 30 day exemption stamp before they start cracking down on the 12th.  

The 12th is relevant to overstays nothing more.  

On a similar note though to your original post I came through Phuket from Kuala Lumpur today and firstly the line at immigration took almost as long as the flight.  Nearly 45 minutes!  The crowd was getting restless and an official of some sort was trying to get people to pay for a fast track through the line.  I declined and myself and another traveler finally convinced this person to take the parents traveling with small children through the quick route which he finally did.  When I FINALLY got inspected (mind you I have a clean passport with only one double entry visa and one extension on it) he read and read it.  He must have been reading the cover and miscellaneous print inside because it is a new passport with almost nothing in it.  Then he says "how long you will stay".  Of course I replied "60 days" as is the case with any entry on this visa.  He got an attitude and raised his voice and said "You use 90 days already".  Now while I am aware there are "things" going on with Thai immigration I was actually surprised by this scrutiny as I am nowhere near an abuser.  I got stern but remained professional and said "Yes, and I will now use this visa for ANOTHER 60 days".  His spine softened a little and and then he started stamping.  It was like he had been fishing all day with out a catch and now was gonna turn nothing into something.  I hope they don't pull this crap when I go for my extension in 60 days.  Finding abusers is like shooting fish in a barrel but this guy had to go searching for one??  

I don't have a visa I was hoping for another 30 day exemption stamp before they start cracking down on the 12th.  

The 12th is relevant to overstays nothing more.  

On a similar note though to your original post I came through Phuket from Kuala Lumpur today and firstly the line at immigration took almost as long as the flight.  Nearly 45 minutes!  The crowd was getting restless and an official of some sort was trying to get people to pay for a fast track through the line.  I declined and myself and another traveler finally convinced this person to take the parents traveling with small children through the quick route which he finally did.  When I FINALLY got inspected (mind you I have a clean passport with only one double entry visa and one extension on it) he read and read it.  He must have been reading the cover and miscellaneous print inside because it is a new passport with almost nothing in it.  Then he says "how long you will stay".  Of course I replied "60 days" as is the case with any entry on this visa.  He got an attitude and raised his voice and said "You use 90 days already".  Now while I am aware there are "things" going on with Thai immigration I was actually surprised by this scrutiny as I am nowhere near an abuser.  I got stern but remained professional and said "Yes, and I will now use this visa for ANOTHER 60 days".  His spine softened a little and and then he started stamping.  It was like he had been fishing all day with out a catch and now was gonna turn nothing into something.  I hope they don't pull this crap when I go for my extension in 60 days.  Finding abusers is like shooting fish in a barrel but this guy had to go searching for one??  

Out of curiosity, what were they charging for the fast track?

Fast track you say...sounds like they wanted you to pay to put you at the front of the line, yes?

I too would be interested in how much they were extorting from the tired travelers, 

trying to enter the kingdom?blink.png

Great example of how swiftly Immigration is working to put pocket money in their hands for doing their jobs.

Nice way to encourage tourist to come to LOS...? bah.gif

It's bad enough we purchase the 90 days tourist visa, but only get 60 days for the fee paid at time of purchase, 

then if we wish to use the remaining 30 days we have to pay an additional 1,900 bht, 

and be scrutinized yet again for that, at our local Immigration office. facepalm.gif

Fun stuff, fun stuff...NOT!

Fast track you say...sounds like they wanted you to pay to put you at the front of the line, yes?

I too would be interested in how much they were extorting from the tired travelers, 

trying to enter the kingdom?blink.png

Great example of how swiftly Immigration is working to put pocket money in their hands for doing their jobs.

Nice way to encourage tourist to come to LOS...? bah.gif

It's bad enough we purchase the 90 days tourist visa, but only get 60 days for the fee paid at time of purchase, 

then if we wish to use the remaining 30 days we have to pay an additional 1,900 bht, 

and be scrutinized yet again for that, at our local Immigration office. facepalm.gif

Fun stuff, fun stuff...NOT!

90 day tourist visas dont exist

To the OP:   

Did they put any markings or notations in your passport?   It doesn't sound like it from your post.  

If they didn't, I'd follow thru on your original plan to enter and obtain an exemption.  Just have print outs with you of an onward flight and hotel bookings for your time in Thailand.    (even if they are bogus bookings/fully refundable).   

My guess is they'll tell you that this is your last entry without a visa; similar to this poster from last week:  http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747810-told-at-the-airport-this-will-be-my-last-visit-on-a-30-day-visa-to-thailand/

The other thing I'd consider doing  would be to fly back to  Suvarnabhumi instead of Don Mueang.   No real reason other than eliminate the possibility of running into any of the same agents who just reviewed your passport two days ago.  

Good luck and let us know!