Problems at Don Mueang Immigration

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Fast track you say...sounds like they wanted you to pay to put you at the front of the line, yes?

I too would be interested in how much they were extorting from the tired travelers, 

trying to enter the kingdom? alt=blink.png>

Great example of how swiftly Immigration is working to put pocket money in their hands for doing their jobs.

Nice way to encourage tourist to come to LOS...?  alt=bah.gif>

It's bad enough we purchase the 90 days tourist visa, but only get 60 days for the fee paid at time of purchase, 

then if we wish to use the remaining 30 days we have to pay an additional 1,900 bht, 

and be scrutinized yet again for that, at our local Immigration office.  alt=facepalm.gif>

Fun stuff, fun stuff...NOT!

90 day tourist visas dont exist

I think he is confusing the "use within" validity period of the visa with the actual valid duration time period of the visa.

That even looks confusing........................rolleyes.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Fast track you say...sounds like they wanted you to pay to put you at the front of the line, yes?

I too would be interested in how much they were extorting from the tired travelers, 

trying to enter the kingdom? alt=blink.png>

Great example of how swiftly Immigration is working to put pocket money in their hands for doing their jobs.

Nice way to encourage tourist to come to LOS...?  alt=bah.gif>

It's bad enough we purchase the 90 days tourist visa, but only get 60 days for the fee paid at time of purchase, 

then if we wish to use the remaining 30 days we have to pay an additional 1,900 bht, 

and be scrutinized yet again for that, at our local Immigration office.  alt=facepalm.gif>

90 day tourist visas dont exist

I think he is confusing the "use within" validity period of the visa with the actual valid duration time period of the visa.

That even looks confusing........................rolleyes.gif

no, he's trying to pretend that a 30 day extension is an extension of the original visa that he paid for in full when in fact it is an extension of the permission to stay which will cost 1900 baht..

The 12th is relevant to overstays nothing more.  

No, it isn't, the 12th is only relevant to enforcement of the back to back visa exempt entry rule if arrival by air.

To the OP:   

Did they put any markings or notations in your passport?   It doesn't sound like it from your post.  

If they didn't, I'd follow thru on your original plan to enter and obtain an exemption.  Just have print outs with you of an onward flight and hotel bookings for your time in Thailand.    (even if they are bogus bookings/fully refundable).   

My guess is they'll tell you that this is your last entry without a visa; similar to this poster from last week:  http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747810-told-at-the-airport-this-will-be-my-last-visit-on-a-30-day-visa-to-thailand/

The other thing I'd consider doing  would be to fly back to  Suvarnabhumi instead of Don Mueang.   No real reason other than eliminate the possibility of running into any of the same agents who just reviewed your passport two days ago.  

Good luck and let us know!

From the OP: "Now underneath my exit stamp they have written Re-entry visa."

trying to enter the kingdom?blink.png

Nice way to encourage tourist to come to LOS...? bah.gif

and be scrutinized yet again for that, at our local Immigration office. facepalm.gif

Strange that such a thing is being offered in Thailand, which to me sounds tantamount to bribery (fast track service at an immigration checkpoint). It happens in Cambodia, it may have happened in the past in Thailand too, but I would have thought those days are long over.

However, given the choice between paying 5 bucks for a fast track service and getting through or waiting in line and being scrutinized and as unlikely as it may seem, perhaps even being refused entry, I know which option I'd choose. I'd be racing for that fast track counter in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

and be scrutinized yet again for that, at our local Immigration office. facepalm.gif

Strange that such a thing is being offered in Thailand, which to me sounds tantamount to bribery (fast track service at an immigration checkpoint). It happens in Cambodia, it may have happened in the past in Thailand too, but I would have thought those days are long over.

However, given the choice between paying 5 bucks for a fast track service and getting through or waiting in line and being scrutinized and as unlikely as it may seem, perhaps even being refused entry, I know which option I'd choose. I'd be racing for that fast track counter in a heartbeat!

america and canada have fast tracks at their land crossings

Good to know but I don't think they'd be charging extra for them. I have been to both countries but never crossed a land border from the US or Canada to a neighboring country, despite living close to the US-Mexican border.

I am aware of the fast track option at Suvarnabhumi, which for departing passengers is only for business/first class and depending on the airline Gold Status frequent flyer members (though generally only business/first class passengers in my experience). In fact, I have used it before (on outbound flights). On inbound flights, again, I thought you had to be a first/business class passenger to use it. Otherwise, only if someone ushers you over are you OK to use it as an economy class passenger (I have also had the "privilege" of using fast track on arrival, but only because the other lines were getting too long and I was ushered over).

I suspect that if that's the case, no special privileges apply and you'll still be subject to the same scrutiny as everyone else. In fact, that even applies if you actually flew in on business/first and are thus eligible to use the fast track anyway. Unless the unlikely option of an immigration officer asking for a "fee" to use it or expedite you still exists, I can't think of them giving you any special treatment and thus arriving on a business class flight as a cover won't save you from scrutiny if you're a visa runner.

Okay I'm back in Bangkok

Immigration lady looked at my passport, frowned and then had a discussion with the lady sitting next to her for a few minutes but stamped me in for 30 days anyway.  She didn't look too impressed - and yes I know I exploited a loop hole and got very lucky.

After I leave I'm not planning on coming back for a while and even then only for a few weeks but I will make sure to get a tourist visa just in case.

• Like 1

Good to know but I don't think they'd be charging extra for them. I have been to both countries but never crossed a land border from the US or Canada to a neighboring country, despite living close to the US-Mexican border.

I am aware of the fast track option at Suvarnabhumi, which for departing passengers is only for business/first class and depending on the airline Gold Status frequent flyer members (though generally only business/first class passengers in my experience). In fact, I have used it before (on outbound flights). On inbound flights, again, I thought you had to be a first/business class passenger to use it. Otherwise, only if someone ushers you over are you OK to use it as an economy class passenger (I have also had the "privilege" of using fast track on arrival, but only because the other lines were getting too long and I was ushered over).

I suspect that if that's the case, no special privileges apply and you'll still be subject to the same scrutiny as everyone else. In fact, that even applies if you actually flew in on business/first and are thus eligible to use the fast track anyway. Unless the unlikely option of an immigration officer asking for a "fee" to use it or expedite you still exists, I can't think of them giving you any special treatment and thus arriving on a business class flight as a cover won't save you from scrutiny if you're a visa runner.

of course they charge extra for them

Okay I'm back in Bangkok

Immigration lady looked at my passport, frowned and then had a discussion with the lady sitting next to her for a few minutes but stamped me in for 30 days anyway.  She didn't look too impressed - and yes I know I exploited a loop hole and got very lucky.

After I leave I'm not planning on coming back for a while and even then only for a few weeks but I will make sure to get a tourist visa just in case.

Good to know but I wouldn't read too much into that. For years I have seen immigration officers, particularly junior ones ask more senior ones for clarification of something in a person's passport and if you didn't get questioned all is well. Still, I wouldn't be coming in too often on visa exempt stamps in future as you say. Also, most immigration officers, particularly at busy ports of entry are quite overworked and yes, can even be a bit surly. It's never been the case that an immigration officer invariably stamps you in without so much as looking at your passport or something. Certain nationalities (not yours!) have had difficulties at immigration for years, or perhaps for as long as Thai immigration has existed, just the way it is.