Five supermarkets remove parrotfish from shelves: Thailand

webfact

Boooo!  Parrotfish is so good, makes great sweet and sour, keleguin, or just simply fried. 

I am curious to see what their data is as to how fishing parrotfish is harmful to the ecosystem.

You might try educating yourself.  Read here:

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2014/07/02/to-save-coral-reefs-start-with-parrotfish/

• Like 2

Boooo!  Parrotfish is so good, makes great sweet and sour, keleguin, or just simply fried. 

I am curious to see what their data is as to how fishing parrotfish is harmful to the ecosystem.

Why don't you just bloody look it up. Hint: GOOGLE huh.png

I did and all I could find was an environmental group that says it is bad and they started a petition.  No reference to the data was given.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2014/07/02/to-save-coral-reefs-start-with-parrotfish/
Not a nice way to answer.

Parrot fish give good head. Hence their popularity with the Asians... other than that they are just an average table fish. That one in the picture is not the common variety. The Thai species has a much more defined bump, and not such a luxurious tail... (the one pictured looks more like an aquarium variety.)

Well done!

More needs to be done to promote awareness of such campaigns as well as the reason for their existence.

To be honest, I had never heard that parrot fish were endangered, so I am glad that this was identified and that the companies have responded in this way.

Congratulations to their management for making an environmentally responsible decision.

these companies only agreed...because who wants bad press....please dont think..they are whiter than white..no offence

I was just wondering if there is currently any petition or environmentalist group against the french's baguette and the red beans too.
They stopped having them on the shelf years ago in my area.

Does the parrot's fish repeat the words you say to him?

Parrotfish "scrape algae and other plant matter from the surface of the coral. This maintains the health of the reef by keeping algae in check, which could otherwise overwhelm the delicate reef ecosystem".

BTW - " An unusual feature of parrotfishes is that they are able to change sex, with females becoming fully functional males .... If the male should die, the most dominant female will become the dominant male, her ovaries becoming functional male testes".

• Like 1

with females becoming fully functional males .... If the male should die, the most dominant female will become the dominant male, ".

Boooo, western's women have been able to do that for ages now, without even the need for the males to die...
  • Like 1

Not nice to imply someone is uneducated

Parrotfish "scrape algae and other plant matter from the surface of the coral. This maintains the health of the reef by keeping algae in check, which could otherwise overwhelm the delicate reef ecosystem".

BTW - " An unusual feature of parrotfishes is that they are able to change sex, with females becoming fully functional males .... If the male should die, the most dominant female will become the dominant male, her ovaries becoming functional male testes".

Everything has its place in the ecosystem.  There is no problem with hunting parrotfish especially here in Thailand, I haven't seen a great demand for the fish.  Parrotfish is probably the most eaten fish in Guam yet the reefs there are healthy with the exception of the inexperienced divers taking their toll.  

Not nice to imply someone is uneducated

He meant "educate yourself on the subject", not educate yourself generally - obvious from the context. You admitted your ignorance of the subject in your post, he supplied you with a link, as you were "curious". Looks like he was being helpful, and you were being touchy.

A flame post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Everything has its place in the ecosystem.  There is no problem with hunting parrotfish especially here in Thailand, I haven't seen a great demand for the fish.  Parrotfish is probably the most eaten fish in Guam yet the reefs there are healthy with the exception of the inexperienced divers taking their toll.  

Guam, yes. Completely relevant to Thailand.

blink.png

Guam, yes. Completely relevant to Thailand.

blink.png

Don't know about Guam, but It is a rarity now to see parrot fish here in the northern Gulf. Compared to 10 years ago. They are fished almost to extinction.

Just wondering - is that where the expression "go ph..k yourself" originated from?

In reply to the previous posts....

That is "exactly" what I meant...the "subject" not the "person". Again, think skin prevails or English not being the native language.  The Internet is a powerful learning tool but only if ones takes the time to explore it. Unfortunately, there are still too many "myths" and bad information out there. So one needs to be able to sort the difference.  What was learned about the "Parrot Fish" only surfaced a few years ago by a class science project by a 9 year girl but now i can't find that article.  Such is the Internet.