Thai hub for organic products sought

webfact

Thai hub for organic products sought
PETCHANET PRATRUANGKRAI
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The Commerce Ministry wants Thailand to become the Asean centre for organic products and services by 2020.

To support the plan, it will propose to the military's ruling National Council for Peace and Order that it provide tax privileges to support expansion of the organic industry.

Malee Choklumlerd, inspector-general of the ministry, said it had five strategies to support the growth of this industry between now and 2020.

The five strategies are tax privileges for organic traders and farmers; consideration of a fund to support organic farmers; enhancing consumers' knowledge and recognition of organic products; providing clear information about the trade of organic products both domestically and overseas; and finding new markets and distribution opportunities for Thai organic products and services.

Malee said organic production should get some support or privileges so that farmers and traders will not hesitate to jump into organic businesses.

Currently, organic cultivation and trading face high costs. Initially, the farming environment including soil needs to be prepared for organic cultivation.

Next, traders need to conduct activities to raise consumers' awareness of organic foods and other goods.

However, Malee said consumers worldwide nowadays were more conscious of the benefits of chemical-free foods, products and services, so there should be a bright future for this industry.

Organic foods are only part of this industry. There are non-food products as well, and services such as hotels, spas and restaurants. All of these are seeing rising demand globally, she said.

According to the ministry, export of organic products is worth about Bt3 billion a year. It targets annual export growth in this sector of at least 10 per cent.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Thai-hub-for-organic-products-sought-30240406.html

[thenation]2014-08-07[/thenation]

Given the overuse of chemicals here and the runoff into water supplies, I think it would be hard to reach a level of organic as defined by most developed countries. 

The other issue is corruption with a small paper bag being all that is needed to increase a crops value with an organic tick.

Happy if they could make a viable organic farming industry though

• Like 2

Given the overuse of chemicals here and the runoff into water supplies, I think it would be hard to reach a level of organic as defined by most developed countries. 

The other issue is corruption with a small paper bag being all that is needed to increase a crops value with an organic tick.

I'm not sure why Thailand would be different than developed countries re. chemicals,pesticides in soil or water.

I am guessing you are suggesting western (developed ) nations haven't used chemicals in the past .....so growing organic food is an easier process.

There is a process in growing organic food on previously chemically etc applied land whether it's Thailand or a developed country.

It's a 3 year transition...so no chemicals pesticides can be applied during that period.... then is certified by an international standard.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why Thailand would be different than developed countries re. chemicals,pesticides in soil or water.

I am guessing you are suggesting western (developed ) nations haven't used chemicals in the past .....so growing organic food is an easier process.

There is a process in growing organic food on previously chemically etc applied land whether it's Thailand or a developed country.

It's a 3 year transition...so no chemicals pesticides can be applied during that period.... then is certified by an international standard.

It is the amount of chemicals being added here compared to developed countries (not as much as China though). This would require that farmers that share a common water source all switch to organic at the same time or there would be no real benefit. In developed countries there are laws about runoff that either don't exist in Thailand or are not enforced leading to contamination of both land or water.

The other issue is trust. Would you believe a Thai organic certification when a cash payment can easily get the tick of approval. 

• Like 1

To ensure that farm produce is organic tight controls have to be put in place, and farms monitored on a very regular basis.
So who would do the checks here? The Police......The sleepy Ag. Dept....Somchai and his mates from the motorcycle stand?

This week in New Zealand an egg farmer was in court. He farmed produced eggs from caged birds. For some years he had sold these as "range free" eggs. Some 206,000 dozen eggs, over 2.4 million eggs! For a net gain of N.Z. $ 376,000. He was caught out by checks and balances done on all egg producers.

One can imagine the cheating on organic labeling which would happen here.

I know a mango farmer here who sprays a vile smelling liquid on his fruit the day before picking to enhance the shine and color " no worries the fruit is sold in Bangkok not locally" !!!

BAYBOY.

Conspicuous by its absence from the list of "strategies" is creation of an ASEAN certification program to include developing and enforcing a set of organic product standards across the region. Most of the "strategies" amount to agricultural welfare that should not be necessary if there truly is a large and growing demand. If there is not, government involvement won't create it; and subsidies (in whatever form) have a nasty habit of never going away because producers hardwire subsidies into their business models.

• Like 1

I think the first thing that needs to happen is that the commerce ministry defines what 'organic'actually is and entails for the farmers. 

For example as part the soil association (UK) certification process requires farmers keeping the following records (livestock farming) 

·          Product specification sheets

·          Goods in records

·          Production records

·          Derogations for non-organic ingredients if used

·          Non GMO declarations

·          Sales and goods out records

·          Certification documents for imported organic ingredients

·          Cleaning and hygiene schedules

·          Pest control records

·          Complaints register

Organic isn't simply just growing stuff without synthetic chemicals. 

• Like 2

organic certification is corrupt on an international level , i like the idea, but unless its audited by a reputable company its not going to be recognized. 

imo , the first step in LOS is to begin an accreditation process for the selling and application of pesticides , herbicides and fungicides .... effective immediately 

It is the amount of chemicals being added here compared to developed countries (not as much as China though). This would require that farmers that share a common water source all switch to organic at the same time or there would be no real benefit. In developed countries there are laws about runoff that either don't exist in Thailand or are not enforced leading to contamination of both land or water.

The other issue is trust. Would you believe a Thai organic certification when a cash payment can easily get the tick of approval. 

I'm not going to argue with you as I wonder if you know anything about Organic food & certification.

You can't trust anyone these days when it comes to making $$$. In Europe there is a food related scam in the newspaper every week. You want to be sure about the quality? Start your own permaculture project in your back-garden!

I wished I already had the quantity needed for our own use but it is coming. When buying organic in the stores here in Thailand I notice the tons of plastic being used for packaging. This should change as well. You can't go organic without also taking care of the waste around the products being sold.

Have to go now... kill a chicken which will be served for dinner. licklips.gif

• Like 1

i would love to see a list of genuinely 100% organic thai produce .... with all the GM modified rice, seeds etc over the past 30 years that have been tested here and then cross pollinated into the general crops  ...thats without ground soaked with DTD and other chemical pestisides....Organic in my mind is just a scam to increase selling price now 

There are some genuine organic farmers. A friend of my wife grows organic jasmine rice which she sells as soon as it is cut so there is a real market for this sort of thing.
However there are those who do abuse the system and it was disappointing but not surprising that there was no mention of more rigorous certification procedures in the op.
My wife was at a health seminar a while ago where a farmer actually boasted of being tipped off by the testing officials that she was due a visit so she could prepare a chemical free batch.

To ensure that farm produce is organic tight controls have to be put in place, and farms monitored on a very regular basis.
So who would do the checks here? The Police......The sleepy Ag. Dept....Somchai and his mates from the motorcycle stand?

This week in New Zealand an egg farmer was in court. He farmed produced eggs from caged birds. For some years he had sold these as "range free" eggs. Some 206,000 dozen eggs, over 2.4 million eggs! For a net gain of N.Z. $ 376,000. He was caught out by checks and balances done on all egg producers.

I know a mango farmer here who sprays a vile smelling liquid on his fruit the day before picking to enhance the shine and color " no worries the fruit is sold in Bangkok not locally" !!!

BAYBOY.

All good points raised. Who would police the industry? Thailand is known the world over for having very lenient standards, when it comes to nearly all forms of enforcement, except perhaps drug possession. Even that charge can usually be bought out of, if you can find a greedy prosecutor (pretty easy) or judge. So, how would they be able to convince the market that the food was indeed grown organic, by international standards? And how could they create an export market for this merchandise, if they could not establish a high standard of credibility? That market would bear even more scrutiny, and be subject to laboratory testing. It would have to be some sort of independent agency, that was above the fray. Where would these people come from? How would it be enforced? What would the penalties be for an infraction? The creation of an organic market here is a good idea. But, it would have to be backed up with some very serious standards. The courts would have to be willing to send people to prison for violations, and would have to levy some serious fines, in order to keep the crooks out of the industry. The courts here are notoriously weak, inefficient, cowardly, and compromised. So, in order to really achieve this, on a meaningful level, would the entire judiciary have to be reformed? 

i would love to see a list of genuinely 100% organic thai produce .... with all the GM modified rice, seeds etc over the past 30 years that have been tested here and then cross pollinated into the general crops  ...thats without ground soaked with DTD and other chemical pestisides....Organic in my mind is just a scam to increase selling price now 

There are some genuine organic farmers. A friend of my wife grows organic jasmine rice which she sells as soon as it is cut so there is a real market for this sort of thing.
However there are those who do abuse the system and it was disappointing but not surprising that there was no mention of more rigorous certification procedures in the op.
My wife was at a health seminar a while ago where a farmer actually boasted of being tipped off by the testing officials that she was due a visit so she could prepare a chemical free batch.

Where does the watersource come from to supply the friend of your wife's fields? Does she know it is pesticide free? Has her soil been fully leached over time, before planting?

All of these questions need be answered by all, before anybody can simply say that they grow organic food.

• Like 1

I'm not going to argue with you as I wonder if you know anything about Organic food & certification.

I guess it is you who are ignorant about how things work in Thailand ?

Ever noticed that the local mom and pop shop here have ISO 9001 and 9004 and HACCP certifications laugh.png

• Like 2

BAYBOY.

My thoughts exactly....

Organic hub..... Sponsored by Monsanto cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Where does the watersource come from to supply the friend of your wife's fields? Does she know it is pesticide free? Has her soil been fully leached over time, before planting?

All of these questions need be answered by all, before anybody can simply say that they grow organic food.

Agree entirely. Wifeys friend land btw. The land has never had chemicals sprayed for years, I trust her on that :-) No near neighbours so hopefully overspray is not a problem. Water comes from a large local canal. It is as possible as anywhere else that this could be free or not from pollution.

The only part the Government needs to play in the promotion of organic production in Thailand is to provide education and training resources to farmers and regulate the activities of the agro-chemical industry.

TVF members may recall the TRT government trying to enforce laws banning the use of natural insecticides produced from garlic and traditionally used plants and herbs - The TRT Government was acting in favour of the agrochemical companies.

The market for organic food exists; we have customers for organic vegetables that we grow who drive several kms to buy direct from us - we did not need to advertise these products, word of mouth and the existing demand for organics is enough.

The production of organic food in Thailand offers a chance for diversification and a higher profit per rai BUT this will only materialise of the market is allowed to develop free of Government interference and corruption.

The minute Government markets are created to trade these products is the moment the large scale corruption that has leached every other area of Thai agriculture starts. 

You obviously know nothing about the certified organic business. And you highly exaggerate what has and has not happened with GMO crops in Thailand. Another tv.com armchair/barstool expert. 

Conspicuous by its absence from the list of "strategies" is creation of an ASEAN certification program to include developing and enforcing a set of organic product standards across the region. Most of the "strategies" amount to agricultural welfare that should not be necessary if there truly is a large and growing demand. If there is not, government involvement won't create it; and subsidies (in whatever form) have a nasty habit of never going away because producers hardwire subsidies into their business models.

IFOAM (International Federation of Organic Movements), an NGO associated with FOA, is the worlds  most prestigious and trusted international organic certifier, and they have done .. and are doing ... immense work in Thailand. There are many legitimate certified organic rice farms here in Thailand and more and more farmers are getting international-trusted organic certification.

As someone whose life and work has been intimately involved with certified organic agriculture for the past forty years, I say to  those many armchair/barstool "experts" here on tv.com who espouse so much pessimistic misinformation about the organic ag business: You don't know what you're talking about.

Are there problems with counterfeit organic products? Yes, there are to a small degree. Just as there are cheats and problems with any industry. But the vast majority of certified organic food and other products are genuine. Especially with trustworthy international certifications like IFOAM and the farms/farmers and dealers they train and certify. 

Edited by HerbalEd

Today it is cheaper to grow organic than with Kemi,

That is seldom true ... esp. when you consider the extra cost in farm labor, and economy of scale.

Edited by HerbalEd