Going to Phrae, Nan and Phayao

junglechef

Doing a little three day road trip to a few places I've never visited before. Totally open schedule at this point, so much so would leave off one of these cities an check something else out, but thinking I'd free style it to Phrae to see some of the old mansions and maybe take a look at Sirikit Dam. Nan the next night and Phayao the following. Any recommendations for places to stay, eat to and especially things to see and do. Also will be taking a Mt bike for morning rides if anyone knows nice areas for that. Would book somewhere if worth visiting/staying if prudent. FYI taking a GF, 17 yr old falang girl, 9 and 10 yr old Thai kids and 2 yr old if anyone has suggestions for things that they might enjoy.

Thanks,

JC

Thanks Ug, Nan is our destination and the night before and following are just stops as they make for a nice driving loop. Anything not to miss in Nan? Maybe a good Shan noodle shop?? smile.png

The Rabbit Temple. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g662326-d554864-r146410590-Wat_Phrathat_Chae_Haeng-Nan_Nan_Province.html Also for info..Another 137 km up the 101 you can cross over into Lao at Khon Chaloem Phra Kiat Crossing. GPS 19.59612, 101.085881

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

The White Temple in Nan is spectacular. Much nicer than the one in Chiang Rai, in my opinion. The Golden Temple is also magnificent. And the Sasidara Resort is a beautiful place to stay, just 5 minutes from town but surrounded by countryside. Booking on line, we paid half the regular price, and that included a very nice breakfast menu. served in an open-air pavillion overlooking a pond.

• Like 1

I suggest staying at the Nan Noble House Garden Resort in Nan. It is comfortable and charming, has a very nice pool for the kids, and is excellent value. The family home of the owner of the resort is the best preserved large teak house in Nan, 150+ years old, and is well worth seeing. Ask him to show it to you.

• Like 2

Please do tell the old mansions you intend to visit?

Saw this while doing a quick search: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand/phrae-province/phrae/sights.

So probably Vongburi House and Pratubjai House. We tend to just go somewhere and have fun exploring, often on my bike very early morning and then returning to show my family what I found after breakfast, while making sure we visit any must see things that we know about from our internet searches (both English and Thai pages). Once somewhere it's usually pretty obvious what there is if one get a local tourist map or asks around especially at the place we are staying. Hopefully we'll also find some little gems by chance or get recommend to us by the locals there or here on TV.

In Phayao, The street food scene in front of the Northern Lake Hotel is some of the best I have seen in Thailand. Ribs, Chicken, Fish, Corn,,,stuffed bamboo, pork on a stick. Northern Lake Hotel is a bit run down, but still good value for 400 per night. There is one that is quite a bit nicer close by, the name escapes, me, but it is more like a 1100 per night. Several places down by the lake, but you miss ut on that stretch of street food. Very bikeable town, walking very good, too.

I've heard good things about Nan, but it is farther than it looks on a map, and a lot farther than Phayao.

Edited by Thighlander

Wat Si Khom Kham in Phayao. depiction of hell. very interesting place.

take a stroll at night by yourself just up from the bus station. many knocking shops everywhere with some lovely ladies.

Edited by Oscar2

Re knocking shops doesn't Phayao have the distinction of being number one for HIV infections in Thailand.

yes and it's a rather long story, the entire situation was researched and exists in a document published by either the WHO or UN, I forget. but the ladies they wrote about have to be grannies by now - if they survived.

http://www.bokluaview.com/

Lovely resort in a lovely spot about 90 minutes north east of Nan town. Wouldn't recommend it for the OP as he has young kids going and they may get bored, but maybe one for others.

Phayao, several small guesthouses on the waterfront, about 600B for a good clean aircon room with lake view.

Edited by naboo

In Phrae, the road that runs along the west side of the Yom River heading north has many old Lanna styles mansions. I use to stay at the Tepawong Guest House but I am not sure if it now has the same Brit-Thai couple owners as before. There are also a number of smaller back roads that can take you up to Nan without having to travel the main 101 highway the entire way.

• Like 1

I like the Phayao Northern Lake Hotel

15/7 Robwiengpratuklong Road

Phone: 054 411 123

The beds are more comfortable for me.

Not far from the bus station and Kwan Phayao.

Don't miss the khao soy. I like it better than in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Check out Nan

Huen Kuang guest house, Tony's Restaurant for farang food and Pum 3 restaurant for a great massaman curry.

All covered in Tripadvisor or your friend google!

post-24662-0-46905700-1407468835_thumb.j

Edited by TBWG

Phayao, If you come from CM there is a beautiful view point in the mountains. Many places to stay, drink and eat down by the beautiful lake. There is a temple in the middle of the lake where you can take a boat to. Also you can walk to pub etc. from the lake.

Phrae, Stay in the center of town. The action is on or near the main road (not super high way). "Massage" behind BigC.

Nan, used to have a big hotel in the center of town, not expensive, can not remember the name. There is an area for night life. Some museums. You already had some advice what to do here.

• Like 1

If you can spare the time I would not miss out on the village of Bo Luang , Ampur Boklua. Spectacular scenery if you take the road via Pua from Nan city. Very nice resort to stay at, www.bokluaview.com , with an English speaking local as your host. Lots of history, parks, waterfalls, the Htin hill tribe people and almost unknown to the Thais let alone Westerners. A must see before the developers find it.

• Like 2

In Phrae, the road that runs along the west side of the Yom River heading north has many old Lanna styles mansions. I use to stay at the Tepawong Guest House but I am not sure if it now has the same Brit-Thai couple owners as before. There are also a number of smaller back roads that can take you up to Nan without having to travel the main 101 highway the entire way.

Following up the Yom River will take you through a number of small villages and eventually land you in Song. From there you can see Lilit Phra Lor site and temple, you can also see Kaeng Suea Ten rapids in Mae Yom National Park. You can then take the mountain route through Sa Aiap, with many surrounding hill tribes if you get really adventurous and then get the Nan / Phayao highway to either destination.

Many Teak farms / forests through here as well, and it is completely untouched by tourism. I am 1 of about 5 westerners that live in Song District...if you want to venture this way, feel free to send me a message and I can get you more details about hte area, can possibly show you around if the timing is right.

• Like 1

Wim Hotel and Gateway Hotel in Phayao, close to the bus station. Wim is about 400thb and Gateway about 900thb/night. Havng a picnic by the lake at nigth is fun...and visiting the oldest temple on the hill is an interesting tour...and Phayao is just 30 minutes from the White Temple in Chiang Rai......

Edited by umbanda

Wim Hotel and Gateway Hotel in Phayao, close to the bus station. Wim is about 400thb and Gateway about 900thb/night. Havng a picnic by the lake at nigth is fun...and visiting the oldest temple on the hill is an interesting tour...and Phayao is just 30 minutes from the White Temple in Chiang Rai......

Gateway...that's the one I was trying to think of...Agoda says 922 +17%, and Northern Lake is 340 +17%. Best nightclub is at Gateway..can byob for 50 thb. Gateway give free breakfast. Both places offer lake view for more THB.

post-37570-0-87245200-1407487099_thumb.p

post-37570-0-08474900-1407487136_thumb.j