Thais spend at least 7.2 hours per day using the Internet

webfact

If i was a teacher i wouldn't let the pupils / students use mobile phones / pads in the classroom .

Yes that is the rule, but I teach math and physics and the calculations can get intense, so I allow them to use the calculators in their mobile devices. 

let them buy a calculator and stash the phones , 

you made your own problem letting them use the phones to begin with.......

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this I don't even...

Please don't give numbers to a Thai person.

Internet penetration [,even though it is rapidly increasing,] in Thailand is still only about 25% (compared to Singapore's 75% for example), so each internet user would apparently need to stay online for over 28 hours a day to bring the average up that high. And I say "stay online" rather than "use internet", because that's what it is, mostly. And when they are actually "using the internet" it is usually for social media only. Ask anyone that has worked with Thais in an office environment if Thais can used the Web productively. And these would not be "average Thais", they are the ones that got hired because they are above average. So,

Average Thai spends a measly 1.8 hours per day connected to the Internet

There. Fixed it for you.

Yes, this data about internet is fairly correct. I'm retired now (2014), from teaching 3 years here. I taught many subjects and during classroom time I would spend 15 mins. of that time taking phones from the students who think Facebook is their life to be. At lunch time and free time these 10-16 years were on Facebook. Some of my co-Teachers would be in the back of the room on Facebook or playing games.

I quit teaching as Thailand remains in the dark ages using technologies correctly and its productively to enhance their future and leave the rice farm and explore new high tech careers that is needed in the 21st century or remain simple minded,  ASEAN is coming and people from Singapore and the such will chew this place up. I've been an educator in Tech fields/ Military and school systems around the world, so, for those of you who defend Thailands progress, you need to take a better look in the mirror and see where your country is headed.

You were probably still using landlines when the Thais started using cell phones.  

What advanced technology did you use as an 'educator'?  A textbook printed in color?

Your concept of 'using technology correctly' was outdated in the 1980's.

Why that is base!

Yeah, your average military tech instructor is probably far behind the Thais in adopting new technologies. (Disclaimer: I bought my first mobile, a Benefon, in 1984. There is probably a Thai somewhere in the World that had a mobile phone before that...)

But I do know that almost certainly gyrosman used antiquated methods and outdated equipment in his educational efforts. After all, he was teaching in Thailand, in a Thai school. (Disclaimer: There are some good schools in Thailand. Don't bother pointing this out, as I already did. They are, by definition, not average.)

I will now venture a guess that you probably put your kid in a Thai school and now feel the need to defend your decision by defending their school system. (Disclaimer: I also put my Kid to a Thai school, albeit a semi-private one. It is decidedly average in my eyes, but top notch for Thailand. There are moderate fees to be paid. I spent a lot of time checking out schools, both where my kid lives and in Bangkok where I was working at the time. Also had countless conversations with other parents and searched the Web extensively. "Social networking for life" won over absolute quality of education. My verdict: the average level of edumacation here is rubbish.)

Most of the working day is spent using email in many jobs, so this is realistic

Yes, most department store  staff can be seen hiding in the aisles doing just that!

I love the girls at Emporium. If they are not gazing admiringly at themselves in the mirror, they are mincing on FB, no doubt taking selfies and telling everyone how wonderful they look.

• Like 2

I don't believe it. Did the survey include a representative range of farmers who spend all day in the "no signal" rice fields or students of the many schools that don't have electricity let alone internet? I think not.

• Like 1

Either the reporter doesn't understand the survey or the survey people don't understand what they did. No account has been taken of people that don't use the internet at all, so this is not the average of Thai people, but the average of people who use the internet. 

And refusing to change passwords constantly is considered risky behavior. If we changed our passwords constantly we wouldn't have time to do anything else at all, as it would be a 24/7 job. In any case, why change a strong password? I've had some passwords for many years and never had a problem.

• Like 1

Quote : 'Thai people on average spend at least 7.2 hours per day or 50.4 hours per week surfing the web. The survey was conducted on a sample of 16,596 Internet users'

How professionnal is that ? You conduct a survey on Internet users, then you find out, lo and behold, that they use the Internet (7.2. hours a day on average), and then your conclusion is that Thai people on average spend 7.2 hours a day surfing the web ?

Edit: Sorry I wrote that before i read the whole thread and the guy just before me said roughly the same thing. I will add that this ridiculous muddle shows one thing for sure : Surveys, just like smartphones an the Internet, should not be overused !

Edited by Yann55