Thai Interior Ministry: Exemption of visa fees considered for European tourists

webfact

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This carpet-bomb policy intended to catch those working illegally is doing the country untold damage in terms of reputation and confidence.

I'm sure there are a LOT of people who stay here for many months of the year who have no wish to work - yet the baby is being thrown out with the bathwater. How about some clarity and common sense at the border : let us know what we need to show to be sure of getting in. I am seriously put off coming back again because of the current situation - particularly because you are at the mercy of one official with no chance for appeal. I'm sure the airline will love to quote you a full-price single-ticket back home.

• Like 1

Help me out here, what defines a quality tourist and if they are no longer coming to Thailand where have they gone.

In Phuket I see many young people getting around on rented motorbikes and bus loads of Chinese going to ride in speed boats, how do these folk rate.

It is anyway so ridiculous to ask European or American to apply for a visa !

Only countries managed by retarded have these stupid rules.

European and American are not a menace, they are a chance anywhere they go in the world.

Respect us and show us or we stay home and you go back to eat bananas <3

Does that include Australia?

Is Australia still a British penal colony?

If not, consult an atlas. Check whether Australia is located near Europe enough to qualify as European.

Australia used to allow any one into the country, as long as they came in a boat

they even threw money at them

Actually not anybody had to be white.

• Like 1

they give the impression that they don't know if they are coming or going............

One hand wants to get rid of foreigners then the other wants to bring 'em back

the problem with ruling by dictum is that the decisions are often flawed due to lack of an opposition to criticise them, this then requires further dictums to patch up the flaws as they are exposed in the first ones.

Edited by wilcopops

Want more Tourist I think with the recent changes here That alone will decrease the tourism Why go to a place that when you choose to go visit another city you have to hunt down an immigration office or police station to report that your staying in town. Waste of vacation time one would think. It is as if your telling tourist your not welcome here but come leave your money and get back on plane home. But then again that's me.

• Like 1

I don't understand the idea of free visas to boost tourism. Why should someone come for holiday in a country just because you don't have to pay 35 USD for a visa? I mean if I have to decide to do holiday in Thailand or in Vietnam will would I say "Ohh if I go to Thailand I would save 35 bucks now. So lets go to Thailand."

Absolutely right. Suspending visa fees is unlikely to boost tourism -But won't do any harm.

Fighting the now epidemic Dengue mosquito in areas like Phuket, Samui, Koh Tao, Pattaya where the levels of Dengue Fever are at horrific infection rates would be a good start.

Samui's tourism is "officially" down by 20% which means it is much worse.

No complaints, but the previously exploding Russian market has almost disappeared. Whilst good for everyone - it's bad for the local economy - the Russians were good spenders despite their appalling manners.

Seeing the Red vs Everyone faction fights on Western TV definitely deterred millions of timid Europeans.

The Military's restoration of peace on the streets has brought joy to all decent Thais but the Western Campaign in the media still supports the old 'conflict in the streets' in its rather twisted defence of a "Democratic" system which never existed in reality.

Ridiculously inflated airfares complete the restrictive practices of EU Governments which seek to keep their "free" populations grounded and spending at home.

Of all these limitations, the easiest to fix is the Dengue horror.

Suspend the visa charge - OK thanks but how does a Tour Operator put that in his brochure "No visa charge if you book and fly before........."

• Like 1

Nothing but bile being spewed here.

Do retirees own the Siamese Raj as their exclusive fiefdom? So much hatred towards our fellow foreigners. An odd reaction in the face of this encouraging proposal by the government.

These retirees won't get much sympathy when the crackdown extends to them....more stringent requirements, harder to keep rotating the same 800,000, no more working on the side...I guess they might discover the meaning of what goes around comes around...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Uuuuhhh, gettn' all soft now? I expected the next step would be to shoot western foreigners in the head execution style on the spot if they dare to ask for a visa on arrival or something while Chinese are waved through the red carpet entrance without even checking their passports or belongings. Obviously hurts losing visitors, doesn't it? hit-the-fan.gif

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

maybe they can excempt visa extortion, sorry, extention fees for us long stay farangs ?

nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, just dreaming

if i were them, i would specify, western europe tourists only, originals, not the ones with double nationalities, and only one's with jobs and a large income and intend to spend a lot of money here, not the cheapos

Edited by belg

"if i were them, i would specify, western europe tourists only, originals, not the ones with double nationalities, and only one's with jobs and a large income and intend to spend a lot of money here, not the cheapos"

Nah, just sen ATM card, I sen you nice pic.

• Like 1

it never stops ....massive clampdown , now free tourist visas that assist the very people they were trying to get rid of ....i find this really irritating for what non imm visa applicants have to do and pay

Thailand is not trying to get rid of tourists. It is getting rid of people who are working here with tourist visas.

And possibly, god forbid, teaching our peasants how to speak English.

In other words 'discrimination based on nationality'. This is not such wonderful news for Australians, Americans, and Canadians, just to name a few nations which have well-supported Thailand's tourism industry for years.

yes finally the US boys get discriminated same EU people who have to give their bussiness shares of 51 % as a gift to thai people if they want to make a legal bussines here. And US People not! No single tourist will come more because of free tourist visas, because tourist are normaly do not travel more than 3 weeks and if the poor US boys have to pay we will not take this offer tongue.png from Thai Embassy

if you want to change something, then stop the douple pricing, stop the scams and treat people with respect and not with a false smile

The Military's restoration of peace on the streets has brought joy to all decent Thais but the Western Campaign in the media still supports the old 'conflict in the streets' in its rather twisted defence of a "Democratic" system which never existed in reality.

Where do you live? I think in a island with nobody else,

joy to peopel, what is joy for you? no real information, if you critise the junta you go to jail without any rights for laywer or court case,

no free press, joy is for you army at every corner, some free concerts and make friday the food 10 baht cheaper?

wow I hope you not come from a European educated country this would make a very bad view of our education system

It would be a lot simpler to give 90 days visa exempt on entry. Less paperwork. Less hazzle. After all no real checks are done when applying for a visa. Too simple.

Simple? where? I had to go 3 times to prague 1. for apply for tourist visa,

2. they called me the thai officer want to do an interview

3. to pick up

in Prague Thai Embassy you can only apply in Person and pick up in Person,

and this was for a stay of 37 days,

they ask me about my gf how long I know he, adress, kids

like i want to imigrate to Thailand

First and last time I made tourist Visa in prague and this is only 1 hour from my home,

2 years later I wrnt to Minic Consulat it take 2 minutes for a NON O Multi entry 1 year,

i had to schow 5000 Euro, costs 130 Euros, thats all, but drive to and back was 10 hours,

all Embassys, Consulats in Eu have different rules, I not found 2 places with the same,

so you also know before you come to thailand what country you are going,

make a law in Thailand what is for everybody the same, may be peopel will start to respect

then the law, but not claim that foreigner not respect thai law, here in thailand is nothing to respect!

It would be a lot simpler to give 90 days visa exempt on entry. Less paperwork. Less hazzle. After all no real checks are done when applying for a visa. Too simple.

Simple? where? I had to go 3 times to prague 1. for apply for tourist visa,

2. they called me the thai officer want to do an interview

3. to pick up

in Prague Thai Embassy you can only apply in Person and pick up in Person,

and this was for a stay of 37 days,

they ask me about my gf how long I know he, adress, kids

like i want to imigrate to Thailand

First and last time I made tourist Visa in prague and this is only 1 hour from my home,

2 years later I wrnt to Minic Consulat it take 2 minutes for a NON O Multi entry 1 year,

i had to schow 5000 Euro, costs 130 Euros, thats all, but drive to and back was 10 hours,

all Embassys, Consulats in Eu have different rules, I not found 2 places with the same,

so you also know before you come to thailand what country you are going,

make a law in Thailand what is for everybody the same, may be peopel will start to respect

then the law, but not claim that foreigner not respect thai law, here in thailand is nothing to respect!

You seem to be simple too.. a Visa exempt on entry. But you do not understand that. Go play some where else. Or learn to read before you quote me.. Sounds like you need some chill pills..

• Like 1