Obama authorises US air strikes on Iraq Islamic extremists

webfact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To look at things in perspective this whole mess started with the deposing of Saddam Hussein. Granted the man was pure evil, as is Assad and to a lesser extent so too was Gadaffi, however in the Middle East the choice seems to be rule by a tyrant or else tyranny from an Islamic theocracy. The former being preferable to the latter. The whole basis of interfering in such places is ill advised if the organization of a vote is supposed to miraculously lead to democracy. It may be cynical but to install a western leaning strong man with no tolerance for religious zealots is the best strategy for places such as Iraq.

Fast forward to today and the serial mistake of trying to impose a democratic model has lead to the formation of ISIS and it's like, In other words a far greater mess than ever existed before. Limited air strikes won't help in my view the war is the defining war of our times one of all peoples against Islamic extremists, who have been allowed to abuse western democracies in order to convert and recruit people to their cause.

In my view immigration from the third world should almost exclusively consist of religious and ethnic minorities who are being persecuted by the Islamo-fascists, sadly for the most part the west is still in denial about the scale of the problem and focuses elsewhere to avoid looking at the elephant in the room.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So evil despots are better then Islamic states. I agree. That says a lot about Islam. I don't think having despots bottle it is the answer either. This Islamic movement has to have its time to canibalize itself.

To look at things in perspective this whole mess started with the deposing of Saddam Hussein. Granted the man was pure evil, as is Assad and to a lesser extent so too was Gadaffi, however in the Middle East the choice seems to be rule by a tyrant or else tyranny from an Islamic theocracy. The former being preferable to the latter. The whole basis of interfering in such places is ill advised if the organization of a vote is supposed to miraculously lead to democracy. It may be cynical but to install a western leaning strong man with no tolerance for religious zealots is the best strategy for places such as Iraq.

Fast forward to today and the serial mistake of trying to impose a democratic model has lead to the formation of ISIS and it's like, In other words a far greater mess than ever existed before. Limited air strikes won't help in my view the war is the defining war of our times one of all peoples against Islamic extremists, who have been allowed to abuse western democracies in order to convert and recruit people to their cause.

In my view immigration from the third world should almost exclusively consist of religious and ethnic minorities who are being persecuted by the Islamo-fascists, sadly for the most part the west is still in denial about the scale of the problem and focuses elsewhere to avoid looking at the elephant in the room.

So evil despots are better then Islamic states. I agree. That says a lot about Islam. I don't think having despots bottle it is the answer either. This Islamic movement has to have its time to canibalize itself.
Perhaps so, but if that were the case surely it would be best for that to happen within the confines of it's own borders. Alas it is a little too late for that unless IS or whatever they call themselves are very successful with their call for fellow Muslims to settle there.

I doubt it would happen but Western airlines could issue as many one way tickets as needed and the empty planes could carry those being persecuted on the way back.

Perhaps so, but if that were the case surely it would be best for that to happen within the confines of it's own borders. Alas it is a little too late for that unless IS or whatever they call themselves are very successful with their call for fellow Muslims to settle there.

I doubt it would happen but Western airlines could issue as many one way tickets as needed and the empty planes could carry those being persecuted on the way back.

The problem with that is that it would get abused. I think immigration from Muslim states to western countries to stop.

The Muslims were given a chance of free political reign and ISIS is what they came up with. So that bans them from any civil discourse with humanity

The Muslims were given a chance of free political reign and ISIS is what they came up with. So that bans them from any civil discourse with humanity

Care to explain how how the Sunnis were "given a chance of free political reign" in Syria and Iraq.

It's generally stated IS comprises of around 10,000 extremist Sunni members and have little general support across the Muslim world. It has been reported the support that they have had from some of the Sunni tribes in Iraq has been created by their disenfranchisement by the Malaki government. You will recall the defeat of Al Qaeda in Iraq was directly related to the Sunni Awakening program, supported by Sunni tribes. It has already been reported that some of the Sunni tribal support for IS is being withdrawn due to their excessive brutality.

Hopefully the Iraqi politicians can get their act together and sort out Malaki, combined with US airpower and the Kurds put a stop to IS gaining further traction, even better to defeat the bastards.

How can every Muslim sect have "free political reign" everywhere at the same time? Muslims of any particular stripe can't and won't tolerate any other Muslim sects, let alone any other religion. Penalties for non-conformance up to and including death! This "religion of peace" is writing the book on how to NOT be a religion of peace!!

• Like 1

The Kurds are some of our most reliable allies. We need to arm them, train them and give them air support.

And decade or so later start a war against them. Talking about history repeating ...

Some people just refuse to learn from their mistakeS [plural].

The Kurds are some of our most reliable allies. We need to arm them, train them and give them air support.

And decade or so later start a war against them. Talking about history repeating ...

Wouldn't you consider one Muslim killing another Muslim who's not a member of the same sect, or a non-Muslim simply because he's a non-Muslim, a "mistake"? You seem more tolerant of some people's "mistakes" than others... History repeating indeed.

Wouldn't you consider one Muslim killing another Muslim who's not a member of the same sect, or a non-Muslim simply because he's a non-Muslim, a "mistake"? You seem more tolerant of some people's "mistakes" than others... History repeating indeed.

Muslims killing Muslims has nothing to do with me.

There will be wars, that is human nature. Muslim's killing other Muslim's, tough, especially if you live in the region.

Jew's killing muslim's and America supplying the tools, tough, because Muslim's will return the favor as long as it happens.

And whole world suffers.

Muslims killing Muslims has nothing to do with me.

Unfortunately, your statement has nothing to do with reality. Newsflash: they kill non-Muslims, too.

What puzzles me is why the Arab oil rich states with all their military hardware do not lift a finger to help their arab brothers. Maybe their think the daft yanks and brits will take care of it because of the oil and big western compamys

They are not their 'brothers'.

The Arab Sunni countries (mainly Western proxies) are fairly efficient with suppressing armed extremists within their own territory. However, better for them to have the Arab extremists & foreign 'fighters' waging war outside of their homeland than threatening their rule.

Edited by simple1

What puzzles me is why the Arab oil rich states with all their military hardware do not lift a finger to help their arab brothers. Maybe their think the daft yanks and brits will take care of it because of the oil and big western compamys

They are not their 'brothers'.

The Arab Sunni countries (mainly Western proxies) are fairly efficient with suppressing armed extremists within their own territory. However, better for them to have the Arab extremists & foreign 'fighters' waging war outside of their homeland than threatening their rule.

You indeed make a good case for Western client states ruled with an Iron fist, too bad Western leaders were so badly advised that they tried to deviate from this policy.
  • Like 2

Good question, it is strange that the U.K supplies and trains the Saudis , and for decades Fighter aircraft.

With all that skill gained by British instructors to the Saudi airforce, surely they could play a role.

Good question, it is strange that the U.K supplies and trains the Saudis , and for decades Fighter aircraft.

With all that skill gained by British instructors to the Saudi airforce, surely they could play a role.

I don't think most of the Arab states want to get directly involved with any Muslim-on-Muslim conflicts, unless it's a matter of putting down an internal insurrection representing a threat to one's own rule. Christians & Jews are always fair game of course, but plausible deniability at least is a requirement with Islamic sectarian infighting.