What's the stingiest thing you've seen someone do in Thailand

neverdie

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not in Thailand but as some other posts were not Thailand related but were not deleted I'll share this. It is not only the cheapest thing I have heard of but the fact that sombody would risk a $250kUSD/year job for pennies shows how these types of people can really be sick in the head. There is a guy at our company who is a legendary cheapskate about whom stories abound.

He routinely smuggled empty aluminum cans into the state of Hawaii to get cash back from a state container deposit programme.

These were cans he collected in various places in Asia and Guam as well as galley trash. ILLEGAL as garbage from international flights must be handled at the airport in a certain way proscribed by regulation and it was a fraud as the pennies you get back are actually included when purchasing, in Hawaii. He was warned repeatedly but only stoppped when threatened formally with termination of employment. He justified it in his mind because he says he pays too much tax Hawaii then transfers to "layabouts" in food assistance and other forms of welfare.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

There was also a guy who has every dollar he ever made stashed away and has several properties he rents out. He is too cheap to rent a room himself instead lives in a old Toyota Tercel (Yaris) with the homeless types taking his showers at the beach.

There was also a guy who has every dollar he ever made stashed away and has several properties he rents out. He is too cheap to rent a room himself instead lives in a old Toyota Tercel (Yaris) with the homeless types taking his showers at the beach.

Maybe that guy has a plan that requires EVERY penny he earns!

His plan worked out great. Terminated for psychological and personality issues. Unable to applogize for stuffing pockets at breakfast buffets and stealing towels from layover hotels. They said he rented a Tercel to exchange the tyres with his broken down rusted out heap but I think the story rumour.

Edited by arunsakda

What did he purchase the car with if he still has every dollar he has ever made ?

What did he purchase the car with if he still has every dollar he has ever made ?

Not sure. (Perhaps his mother bartered it in exchange for rent in the condo she leases from her cheapskate son! ) A crazyperson. Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

I had a friend who would always make a scene at restaurants, over a perception that he was being charged 20 baht too much. It was always over tiny stuff. And he is a wealthy guy. Also, he would never leave a tip, even after hassling the staff. Got to the point where none of my friends would want to eat with him. Same here. I blacklisted him. No interest in hanging out with Grinch.

The next worst thing I see is people dining, spending hundreds of baht, and being unwilling to even leave a 20 baht tip. Come on guys. It does not mean anything to you, but it sure means something to them. So, why not?

• Like 1

Two farangs and a young Thai guy having finished the meal one of the farangs then paid the bill. When asked what he was waiting for one of the farangs replied there was 5 baht change. The young Thai guy took 5 baht out of his pocket and offered it to the farang who duly accepted it and placed it securely in his purse.

The next worst thing I see is people dining, spending hundreds of baht, and being unwilling to even leave a 20 baht tip. Come on guys. It does not mean anything to you, but it sure means something to them. So, why not?

I earnt my money by working for it, not waiting on hand outs. so should they.

• Like 1

I used to drive a Honda and went to the manager of the Honda dealership when the LPGA were playing the Siam Old Course to get complimentary tickets.

At that time I had a neighbor who was/is extremely frugal. When he heard about this he went to see the manager asking for free tickets, driving his old, decrepit Hyundai

Wow...talk about a great bloke right here....not.

That is certainly your choice. But by the providence of your birth you were able to earn enough to come and live in an exotic country of your choice, and live well, at that. They do not have that good fortune. All I am suggesting is that it does a man's heart good, to be kind to others. And the tip of under $1 is not going to affect your life too dramatically. It might help theirs. But, the choice is yours to make.

The Thais I know in the US don't tip....ever. Service people rely on these tips to survive as they do not make a living wage.

The Thais that are there, by the providence of their birth, are able to earn enough to go to an exotic country of their choice and live well. Many Americans do not have this good fortune.

I suggest that these stingy people follow the customs of their host country and have enough respect to contribute to the well being of the country's citizens by giving them the proper amount they deserve for their services.

• Like 1

when I was living in pattaya my german neighbor used to collect plastic from the trash bins from our building or street, he told me once he was selling it, he used to pilled up bags full of botles in his room, he used to stinks himself wearing dirty clothes for several days

what a coincidence. i know a German in Pattaya who told me an identical story about his American neighbour whistling.gif

• Like 1

A bloke I know and his Thai Missus are`"Big Money" Talkers , they are always thinking of buying 15 Million houses or building a "Resort" or Franchising a Macca Ds. But it seems although theses Tycoons have vast funds to buy into these "Projects" they dont have the money to half a bill when me and the Missus go out with them. There were 3 couples out together once and the missus of another mate paid the bill My missus gave the dough to old Mrs Money Talker and instead of giving it to the bird who paid the bill she binned it

Wow...talk about a great bloke right here....not.

Compassion, empathy, and the ability to put oneself in another considerably less fortunate persons shoes, are gorgeous qualities that are usually symbolic of deep souls, in contact with some important universal laws. I feel deeply for people who have to struggle to survive. I realize it is not simply about effort, but often grace, providence, fortune, luck and many other aspects that come into play. Some, who have been blessed, are not conscious of that. They often become a grinch. There is little in life that is worse than the feeling of being truly hungry, and when I encounter such a soul, who can do little to change that, it makes me want to do all I can to relieve their suffering. So, what this guy did was wonderful, and I hope it sets an example for us all.

That is certainly your choice. But by the providence of your birth you were able to earn enough to come and live in an exotic country of your choice, and live well, at that. They do not have that good fortune. All I am suggesting is that it does a man's heart good, to be kind to others. And the tip of under $1 is not going to affect your life too dramatically. It might help theirs. But, the choice is yours to make.

The Thais I know in the US don't tip....ever. Service people rely on these tips to survive as they do not make a living wage.

The Thais that are there, by the providence of their birth, are able to earn enough to go to an exotic country of their choice and live well. Many Americans do not have this good fortune.

I suggest that these stingy people follow the customs of their host country and have enough respect to contribute to the well being of the country's citizens by giving them the proper amount they deserve for their services.

What you are describing is an act of consciousness. Some people walk through life asleep. Never considering the well being of others. Not tipping is rude, stingy crass, unsophisticated, uncouth, self absorbed, and unkind. Especially if you are in an place where tipping is expected. Especially if you are in a position to part with a dollar. Some hang onto money like it is their last dollar. I call that poverty consciousness. Therapy would be a good place to start . Start with 1,000 hours.