What is a safe investment for a Thai expat?

Wish you were right, but Russia will ally with China and (some) of the BRIC countries. Some day later China throws all its US government bonds on the market and when Washington wakes up one morning the USA are history.

China also has lots of paper gold in addition to huge amounts of physical gold. Less than one percent of all "gold" is physical and most of it is not for sale like the German gold at the FED. whistling.gif

Only a little paper gold thrown on the market will skyrock the (physical) gold price. So China will be the shining star with a 100% gold covered currency then.

how high are the Chinese gold reserves oh learned master... pray tell? laugh.png

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it is "all against the US$".

Why should anybody in the real world shoud be forced to buy greenbacks when he want to buy crude oil? Because..? Yes because crude is priced in US$. When Switzerland needs oil why can't they pay in francs or dinar????

Should the UN-real demand of US$ is gone some people in NY and Washington will be in hot water. Especially the Rothschild Bank. Some call it Federal Reserve.

crude is priced in USD but neither sellers nor buyers are forced to use USD. that the Dollar is still the preference currency of settlement is based on the fact that most big oil exporters have either their currency pegged or their debt is denominated in Dollars or both.

if Switzerland needs oil from Saudi Arabia and they Saudis accept Swiss chocolate, cheese or cowrie shells the Swiss can use these commodities as payment. as simple as that.

Henry Kissenger brokered a deal with the Saudis in the 1970's. In return for military protection all oil sales were to be in dollars. A country had to exchange their currency for dollars in order to purchase OPEC oil. It is only the past year or two that countries are going around the dollar. Until recently you had to use dollars to purchase oil on the open market.

Wish you were right, but Russia will ally with China and (some) of the BRIC countries. Some day later China throws all its US government bonds on the market and when Washington wakes up one morning the USA are history.

China also has lots of paper gold in addition to huge amounts of physical gold. Less than one percent of all "gold" is physical and most of it is not for sale like the German gold at the FED. whistling.gif

Only a little paper gold thrown on the market will skyrock the (physical) gold price. So China will be the shining star with a 100% gold covered currency then.

how high are the Chinese gold reserves oh learned master... pray tell? laugh.png

a report today showed a 52% decline in gold imports by China,

the reaction?

gold rose

IAG, also rose

thats my premier gold stock and when they reinstate the dividend, and If, big If there is a sustainable rise in gold from here, which would cause the restoration of the dividend, there will be a ton of buying my mutual funds that are required to dump stocks that cut their dividend

holding this all year was tough, but it is on the rise,

the 50 day MA is also, in the rise,

and the 200 day has been decisively breached

for those that dont understand the importance of a 200 day moving average, te above chart will show you how it held the recent decline in the dow

to get any other chart, use the search mode

GDX is the gold stocks index I use

GDXJ is the juniors

the XAU is the old reliable, but I prefer the GDX

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui

Edited by SteveFong

Why should anybody in the real world shoud be forced to buy greenbacks when he want to buy crude oil? Because..? Yes because crude is priced in US$. When Switzerland needs oil why can't they pay in francs or dinar????

Should the UN-real demand of US$ is gone some people in NY and Washington will be in hot water. Especially the Rothschild Bank. Some call it Federal Reserve.

crude is priced in USD but neither sellers nor buyers are forced to use USD. that the Dollar is still the preference currency of settlement is based on the fact that most big oil exporters have either their currency pegged or their debt is denominated in Dollars or both.

if Switzerland needs oil from Saudi Arabia and they Saudis accept Swiss chocolate, cheese or cowrie shells the Swiss can use these commodities as payment. as simple as that.

Henry Kissenger brokered a deal with the Saudis in the 1970's. In return for military protection all oil sales were to be in dollars. A country had to exchange their currency for dollars in order to purchase OPEC oil. It is only the past year or two that countries are going around the dollar. Until recently you had to use dollars to purchase oil on the open market.

nice tale but a fairy tale (from National Enquirer?) whistling.gif

-Saudi Arabia is only one of OPEC's members. OPEC's share of global exports (~30mbd = 46%).

-Saudi Arabia's share of total global exports is ~8mbd = 12.5%

nice tale but a fairy tale (from National Enquirer?) whistling.gif

-Saudi Arabia is only one of OPEC's members. OPEC's share of global exports (~30mbd = 46%).

-Saudi Arabia's share of total global exports is ~8mbd = 12.5%

Believe whatever you like. If I'm wrong I'll be stuck with gold and silver.

i'm not a believer but stick to logical conclusions based on facts, not fiction.

If you are looking for facts get a copy of Jim Rickards new book, "The Death of Money" or his first book, "Currency Wars"

i'm not a believer but stick to logical conclusions based on facts, not fiction.

If you are looking for facts get a copy of Jim Rickards new book, "The Death of Money" or his first book, "Currency Wars"

Kissinger was probably there discussing an arms deal, so as not to have the Saudi's compete with Iran's nuclear program,

although, admittedly, I wasnt there

it also may have been about the devaluation of the Saudi holdings of US investments, which were about to get a "haircut" when Nixon took the US off the gold standard, to "punish those dirty speculators"

Edited by SteveFong

the reaction?

gold rose

IAG, also rose

thats my premier gold stock and when they reinstate the dividend, and If, big If there is a sustainable rise in gold from here, which would cause the restoration of the dividend, there will be a ton of buying my mutual funds that are required to dump stocks that cut their dividend

for those that dont understand the importance of a 200 day moving average, te above chart will show you how it held the recent decline in the dow

GDXJ is the juniors

I wouldn't place to much importance to any MA's they're literally just the average of price over the previous number of periods, golds recent rise was due to geopolital tentions in the Ukraine and it's fading already. If your long gold you will make money eventually but I can't see anything giving it legs in the near term so I personally wouldn't use anything leveraged.

• Like 1

not to forget "The End Is Nigh" and "The Skies Will Fall" and especially the report "How to avoid the apocalyptic riders when retired in Nakhon Nowhere" coffee1.gif

the reaction?

gold rose

IAG, also rose

GDXJ is the juniors

I wouldn't place to much importance to any MA's they're literally just the average of price over the previous number of periods, golds recent rise was due to geopolital tentions in the Ukraine and it's fading already. If your long gold you will make money eventually but I can't see anything giving it legs in the near term so I personally wouldn't use anything leveraged.

agreed, leverage, ie., interest sucking margin, etc, is always to be avoided in any investment, even real estate, which may confound some, but the people who owned their homes and didnt have two mortgages, didnt lose them

but, there is ample leverage in shares of companies,

IAG was up again today, closing at a new high over $4.00 and is pressing against its uptrend line on the weekly chart.

any decisive move over the 4.20 area, and the trend is UP

their break even or cost of production of gold is $1,150 on their older mines, and $850 on their newer

that is outstanding.

ABX and NEM are on the sights of the Chinese miners

and AEM has been rallying all year, as has RGLD

there is a lot of room to rally in these shares, as they are very undervalued basis the $1300 gold price, and, any move over $1,400 and there is no looking back for the shares

I like IAG for the leverage

ABX and AEM are the darlings

I assume I will be dead by age 80.

I need 500k a year to live on (with 4 hangers on).

(without the extras, I would only need 360k/year)

So if I had 10M in the bank earning 3%, and I was 60+, no need to do anything.

How old are you?

How much do you need to live on per year?

Do you have any other income?

well I'm over 80 and need at least 250,000 baht a month to live what id call a good life. We dont eat out dont have BMW's or anything like that but 2 children education at moment is still 70,000 a month or so medical is 20,000 ++ electricity 10,000 (8 air cons) We live very well but not what id consider hiso at all

So 40,000 baht a month must be living like a Thai which i could if needs must but prefer what i call a decent life style

Gold ? Gold is usually a good investment, the Thais/Chinese always tend to lean that way with surplus cash.

Just a thought.

Guess you've been sleeping for the past 2 years.

Gold is better investment than its been in years. Not sleeping. Investment not quick buck.

Gold ? Gold is usually a good investment, the Thais/Chinese always tend to lean that way with surplus cash.

Just a thought.

Gold is better investment than its been in years. Not sleeping. Investment not quick buck.

I once read back in 2000 an article written by Robert Prector, and if it wasnt him, it was about him and his Elliott Wave theory,

it was based on Caifornia farmland values and dated before the start of the federal reserve

the indication pertained to real estate, and the nature of the bubble of 1996-2006 in US real estate which it labelled Wave 3 of Wave 5

it predicted there would be a crash, a decline in a wave 4 fashion, that would hold at the wave 2 level, which would bring us back to 1996 -2000 levels

when the fed started raising interest rates in 2004, I knew the party was coming to an end and when the music stopped, there would be no chairs, so I sold into a flurry of buying

then the crash came

the one they said, could never happen,

that validated it as a Wave 4,

and Wave 5, has begun, we are in it,

it is expected to carry to insane levels of inflation

the fundamentals are in place for higher gold prices, and the technicals indicate that the major bull market, was never broken

the long term trend is still up

the short term trend is neutral to up

the intermediate trend is neutral

I see the ST as up

the Intermediate breaking at 1420, and a resumption of the bull market that takes us to $5,000 or $6,000 gold,

its just a matter of time, and, this sure beats working

Just a thought.

In Gold we trust.

Well there you go.

On your outgoings you could live till 95, without any other income.

Why take any risk?

Exactly... Time to go walk on the beach and enjoy life...

agreed,

times have changed,

no one in their right mind would invest in Thailand, for now,

much needs improving, that one junta, which is already showing cracks, will fix,

example, the police, watching the police

I wanted to crack up from that, but didnt want to wake my dog

who's dead

Thailand is the near perfect place to invest.

Naam, on 15 Aug 2014 - 17:08, said:

POSA290103, on 15 Aug 2014 - 10:44, said:

Naam, on 15 Aug 2014 - 10:33, said:

not to forget "The End Is Nigh" and "The Skies Will Fall" and especially the report "How to avoid the apocalyptic riders when retired in Nakhon Nowhere" coffee1.gif

apropos "Currency Wars"

As James Rickards argues in Currency Wars, this is more than just a concern for economists and investors. The United States is facing serious threats to its national security, from clandestine gold purchases by China to the hidden agendas of sovereign wealth funds.

post-35218-0-72149900-1408328615.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Consider a broad range of quality stocks on the Thai Stock Exchange.

I have netted 15% upwards per annum on my portfolio over the past 8 years.

You could also consider Stocks in Singapore and Sri Lanka.

Mind sharing your current portfolio?

I gotta believe we will see a rise in gold now

too many wars getting hot

doesn't look like a rise to me

au0030lns.gif

You must work for the NWO. It's only down because of manipulation.

http://www.jsmineset.com/2014/09/11/despite-recent-weakness-in-gold-revaluation-spike-is-coming

i don't work for anybody but myself. basically the reason why gold is up or down does not matter. fact is that gold is down and was for the last three years a shitty² ermm... not a good investment.

note for those who are arithmetically impaired:

gold is down 35% since sep 2011 and "clever" gold investors lost another 25-35% (and more) compared to investors who held stocks and or bonds. period! wai2.gif

• Like 2

I gotta believe we will see a rise in gold now

too many wars getting hot

doesn't look like a rise to me

au0030lns.gif

You must work for the NWO. It's only down because of manipulation.

http://www.jsmineset.com/2014/09/11/despite-recent-weakness-in-gold-revaluation-spike-is-coming

i don't work for anybody but myself. basically the reason why gold is up or down does not matter. fact is that gold is down and was for the last three years a shitty² ermm... not a good investment.

note for those who are arithmetically impaired:

gold is down 35% since sep 2011 and "clever" gold investors lost another 25-35% (and more) compared to investors who held stocks and or bonds. period! wai2.gif

horrible persistent weakness which is undeniable

not even a noticeable relief rally in weeks,

it's a mess for sure,

it is still a long term buy, but, that long term may come and go long past the life of the current investment, which is deteriorating, manipulation or not,.

I dont believe in long term manipulation, as hedgers and the miners themselves pressure the market, they have no choice, but I would attribute this inherent weakness to the real and relevant strength of the US dollar which has been rallying for 12 full months, and that is without any real hike in interest rates

Edited by SteveFong