moving to thailand now or later

boris77

Please note: this advice doesn't apply if they want to be an engineer, lawyer, doctor, etc.

This advice also does not apply if he will be living in Thailand where piece of paper means everything, regardless of how useless it is.

Same as everywhere in the world. Yo cant be a doctor without university diploma

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that is true, also International school are private, all of them. International school are not more better than private or public school. I took example for Dara academy as good, cheap and respected school, with international teachers and bilingual classes

I am sorry, but that is not what you said. You said that Dara Academy is an international school, which it isn't. That is just a fact. As for you claiming that public and private schools here in Thailand are just as good as the international ones, well, that is an opinion... An opinion that the vast majority of people familiar with the education system here are going to disagree with you on.

no problem, we are all little lost in translation. Anyway, Im sure that one british carpenter wouldn't send their kids to most expansive school in UK, because he couldn't afford it. Anyway I dont see point in favouring international or private school. that is just not true that if you pay more you will get more. Probably you are old person if you think like that

Lol.... I am in my late 20's and I am a fully credentialed and qualified teacher from America. Try not to make stupid assumptions.

My guess is most of the people telling you to stay in the UK are old.

Times have changed and school isn't important any more.

Home school them. Apart from general knowledge in a few different subjects math and language (English) along with maybe physics are the only important ones.

Teach them about sales and marketing too, which you will learn yourself as you build your online business, and your kids will be running their own companies like everyone else will in a few years when the machines take over (unless everyone wants to end up on the dole).

I am not old but having raised 4 kids I have a good idea of what it costs.

He cannot go without family health insurance for 1 thing as the $$$ he siad he has is not near enough to self insure when you have kids involved...& even that single item will be a big burden on the finances he said he has.

I wasn't really referring to health insurance, but more to do with schooling.

I have pretty decent grades, including a few highers. Also lots of technical qualifications during my time in the air force.

I make more money now than I did after 5 years as an aircraft tech and I believe it's simply down to having a basic grasp of English and the ability to think analytically, plus everything else I've taught myself in the last few years.

Stuff like geography and history are important, but I can't believe people still pay for international schools when they could just home school their kids.

Please note: this advice doesn't apply if they want to be an engineer, lawyer, doctor, etc.

No offence but what are you doing now, sub sea 7 or ocean engineering?

You are lucky you were trained at the tax payers expense, if you had to pay for the training you recieved how much would it have cost?

BTW, thanks for your service.

The Thais I know who send their kids to places like Gordonstoun or Edinburgh univercity know exactly what they are getting for their money.

Internationally recognized and accepted qualifications, transferable to any country.

Home schooling, yeah great, the pupil is only as good as the teacher, best little Somcahi gets in line for a job at the Honda factory, no qualifications and no future.

How many people have the dream of living full time in Thailand only to get here and be bored senseless before completing their 1st year. Unless you have full time employment, preferably on an expat contract, I would say you are far too young to make the move - and you also have plenty of time once your kids have left the nest.

Even if you can afford good international schools (which I doubt) you have to remember that they would be growing up surrounded by Thai culture. Growing up in the UK naturally tends to give kids a better chance in life than growing up in Thailand.

• Like 1

^^^^,

how many get here and before the first year is up realise in aint the tropical paradise of their dreams?

Best of luck to the guy, 2 kids in an international school in Bkk, theres almost 2 million baht per year gone.

He says he can save 1 million baht by working 6 months in the UK, thats 20 thousand quid in six months, over three grand per month, sorry I dont know any joiners earning that sort of money.

Thats after his living costs of say 1 thousand per month in the Uk and sending his mrs 1 thousand per month.

Take home pay after tax of 5 thousand per month, best of luck to him, as I mentioned before, what contract is he on and where is he working?

Might have to get the overalls looked out and go back to the tools.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Home school them. Apart from general knowledge in a few different subjects math and language (English) along with maybe physics are the only important ones.

Teach them about sales and marketing too, which you will learn yourself as you build your online business, and your kids will be running their own companies like everyone else will in a few years when the machines take over (unless everyone wants to end up on the dole).

He cannot go without family health insurance for 1 thing as the $$$ he said he has is not near enough to self insure when you have kids involved...& even that single item will be a big burden on the finances he said he has.

Mania, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't his kids and wife be eligible for Thai healthcare? Assuming they are all dual citizens.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He cannot go without family health insurance for 1 thing as the $$$ he said he has is not near enough to self insure when you have kids involved...& even that single item will be a big burden on the finances he said he has.

Mania, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't his kids and wife be eligible for Thai healthcare? Assuming they are all dual citizens.

I can only assume you dont live in Thailand, please correct me if I am wrong?

Thai healthcare, yes nice one, try rocking up at Bumrungrad with your 30 baht healthcare card.

Please listen to these guys advising against your move here, been there done that got the t shirt,you must be making decent money in the UK to save up eighty grand, stick with it get some more do not gamble on you families future. Understand why you want to be here also.

Good luck in the future hope it all pans out.

I can only assume you dont live in Thailand, please correct me if I am wrong?

Thai healthcare, yes nice one, try rocking up at Bumrungrad with your 30 baht healthcare card.

Yes, you are wrong.

If he's living in Chumpon, I doubt he'll be driving up to BKK for healthcare. If he's trying to stretch a dime, do you think private hospitals are in his budget? Back to the question, if the kids and wife are Thai, won't they be eligible for Thai healthcare?

Edited by puanddavid

^^^^^,

nice one, and thats exactly what they will get, Thai healthcare.

Yes they will be eligible for Thai healthcare, would you subject your wife and kids to Thai healthcare?

If he cant afford private healthcare for, himself his mrs and kids, IMHO, he shouldnt be here.

I am not being rude or slaging you off, this is not personal, I am telling you how it is, giving the facts.

I am also saying that you have no chance of succeeding and sustaining yourself and your family in Thailand regarding your situation as it is according to how you have described your circumstancies so far, plus you would not be living strictly by the laws of Thailand. I also said that you should research further prior to considering moving here especially where your children are concerned, and I mentioned that you should consider leaving your children in the UK while you are trying to establish yourself in Thailand. I asked if you have made any arrangements for your retirement such as insurance policies and pensions? And gave you an estimate of how much cash you will require for yourself and family per month and an estimate of how long your savings will last in Thailand on the amounts you have quoted as having.

So getting straight to the point, my answer to your question; Thailand now or later? Is without a shadow of a doubt, later, much later in fact.

These are the facts, otherwise in what other ways would you like me to explain this and what else would you prefer to hear?

BJ, more patronizing drivel as per form.

Clarify, how he would not be strictly living to the laws of Thailand? If this is about his wife buying land, then that is quite frankly ridiculous.

Let me guess, you have never , ever broken any law at all?

How can you suggest that he "has no chance of succeeding in Thailand"? I'm curious, as I certainly know of a few people who have arrived in Thailand with hardly a pot to piss in, and have become very successful, despite the odds - care to enlighten me BJ, on why the OP couldn't be successful in his own right?. I'm not suggesting that it is easy, and there are pitfalls, but the OP doesn't seem to be an idiot, and he's asked some valid questions and got some valid answers. This whole thing about having all the savings etc in place before doing something, would probably mean that 90% of people never move to another country. Of course you've been here a longtime, and have your views which is fine, but they are pretty dated.

If you had perused my posts properly then you would fully understand where I am coming from here.

Firstly I am not being patronizing, I am speaking from my wealth of experience, and my comments and advice are never drivel. Over the years my advice has probably saved many a lot of expense and steered people in the right direction, plus are always very informative. Not my fault that sometimes there are those living in cloud cuckoo land and I put out facts that some prefer not to hear.

I have said in my previous posts that if the OP decides to pack up in the UK and bring himself and family here to live for the long term he would not be successful according to his present situation as he has described it in his posts. It`s all a simple case of mathematics. If the OP would do some more research as I have suggested regarding the cost of International school education for his 2 children and his cost of living expenses he will see that his savings and expenditure over the long term do not equate and within the next few years all his funds will be depleted. This has nothing to do with being outdated, these are the hard facts. I asked the OP if he has any insurance policies or pensions planned to financially sustain him and his family for his old age? But he has ignored my question.

I have not hinted that the OP is an idiot, but in my opinion he appears extremely naïve and also for some reasons desperate to leave the UK. As for abiding by the laws of Thailand I have explained all this is my posts. Also it seems the OP believes that it`s going to be a doddle finding work here, starting his own business or setting up his wife in some sort of business. Again I suggest to the OP that he does some research, regarding the legalities and what is involved for foreigners running and owning businesses legally in Thailand. And again I repeat, all this is down to the OP`s risk and discretion if he moves to Thailand soon under his present circumstances.

As harsh as this sounds, I would say the same even if the OP was a close friend or member of my own family, because as I said; this is not personal. He either takes heed of the advice some of us have given who like me are old hands and know the score or he doesn’t, it`s up to him.

Seems to me the harder you try to insist or advise someone NOT to do something, then the harder they push back with the insistance they should, then their mind is already made up.

A lot of truth in that -

Maybe the OP is just an impetuous immature idiot?

There's plenty of "man-child" types going about.

It's not easy being a father -

When you haven't grown up yet yourself.

So here's a bit of advice for the OP - and it's genuine.

I reckon some of you guys could do with using this advice too -

........................................................................................................................................................................................

The worst lies are the lies we tell ourselves - if you lie to yourself during this procedure - you are the man-child I described - lets do it.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

OP - in private - take out four separate sheets of paper -

Put your name, your wife's name, and each of your children's name on one each.

Write down in great length what you want - and what you need.

Write down in great length what your wife wants, and your wife needs.

............................................................................................................................................................................................

Now write down what is in the best interest of your children.

............................................................................................................................................................................................

Rip up the paper full of your wants and needs, and your wife's too.

And work in the best interest of your kids.

Life is going to throw you a million curve balls - and there's going to be days you seriously question any decision that you make - but their is only one certainty -

As long as you - in all conscience - work in what you believe, sincerely believe, to be in the best interests of your children -

Your conscience will always be clear - and you'll find the strength and resilience to pull it off.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................

Do that, and you will not only be a father - but you'll be an excellent dad too.

So what do I think you should do?

Don't ask me - just look at your kids - the answer is below your nose.

All the best.

Edited by Pattszero
  • Like 1

Seems to me the harder you try to insist or advise someone NOT to do something, then the harder they push back with the insistance they should, then their mind is already made up.

A lot of truth in that -

Maybe the OP is just an impetuous immature idiot?

There's plenty of "man-child" types going about.

It's not easy being a father -

When you haven't grown up yet yourself.

So here's a bit of advice for the OP - and it's genuine.

I reckon some of you guys could do with using this advice too -

The worst lies are the lies we tell ourselves - if you lie to yourself during this procedure - you are the man-child I described - lets do it.

OP - in private - take out four separate sheets of paper -

Put your name, your wife's name, and each of your children's name on one each.

Write down in great length what you want - and what you need.

Write down in great length what your wife wants, and your wife needs.

Now write down what is in the best interest of your children.

Rip up the paper full of your wants and needs, and your wife's too.

And work in the best interest of your kids.

Life is going to throw you a million curve balls - and there's going to be days you seriously question any decision that you make - but their is only one certainty -

As long as you - in all conscience - work in what you believe, sincerely believe, to be in the best interests of your children -

Your conscience will always be clear - and you'll find the strength and resilience to pull it off.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................

Do that, and you will not only be a father - but you'll be an excellent dad too.

So what do I think you should do?

Don't ask me - just look at your kids - the answer is below your nose.

All the best.

Post of the year.

"You paid for the land that I gather is in your Thai wife`s name and come across as if breaking the laws of Thailand should be acceptable if there are no other means for foreigners of little wealth to financially support themselves. It is people like you who are abusing the system with intentions to continue abusing the system that has created the tightening up of the rules for all of us.

Under Thai law the said land unless under certain circumstances has be financed by your Thai wife`s money with back up documentation and paperwork to prove it."

BJ I don't know why you always beat the same drum but your information isn't always 100% accurate. First of all there is nothing illegal for a married couple to build a house for themselves. Buying property for one's wife isn't illegal. They line is drawn when it is a shell for investment purposes. When someone says I bought land, he means that his wife bought it for the family. He has no claim on the land but since he has children, they obviously do.

There is no abuse. It isn't like he was investing money for developing land but using his wife to do it for him. Shell companies that are just created for that purpose are illegal but giving your wife money to buy land for the family isn't.

Working as a carpenter is illegal. Owning a construction company and training Thai staff to do the work is not. Overseeing the construction of one's house isn't illegal either. Doing repairs and maintaining your home isn't illegal either.

I wish people would just give this guy a break. The real issues are education, providing a steady income for his family and not going crazy living in Chumpon.

I think that you are much better off doing extended holidays than a total relocation until you really get an idea of what living in that area is like permanently.

Personally, I would go insane there. Not much in Chumpon.

cheers for the support. not much other than great beaches , waterfalls, caves,windsurfing,diving, fresh seafood on beachfront resturants, golf courses, bit of nightlife in town, , island s nearby including samui ,ko tao, and more. it aint no pattaya but that suits me

don't forget boris your not going to be a tourist,so what you are describing above is ok.but in very very small doses.after 30yrs.experiance of Thailand I wouldn't have it any other way,FAR AWAY from it.it is becoming very hard to live on a budget here in Thailand there is always something which crops up unexpected so you have to be prepared.you do need whats been suggested,rent first,check out where you want to live,the area around you,as you could end up with a dozen karaoke bars on your door-step.you will find education is dam right expensive here,with you having to pay a lump sum just to get in the chosen school.i love where we are,but as I am retired and don't have to rely on earning an income,but for you do your homework,feel out the cost of just about everything,going into stores and pricing all your needs,there is a lot you can bring in eg.good kitchen equipment,pans ect.which for good quality are very expensive here.there is so much you need to read up on so don't rush into something you might regret.

good luck.ps.whats your fav.tipple?

hi meatboy, im sure not rushing into this, the opposite really, alot to consider but dont want to leave it too late to enjoy it , cheers for the advice

Bj - sorry but you are a condescending ####. I reckon your just jealous.

And all this bs about his wife owning land - of course she can. Honestly you need to take your head out of the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Of course wife can own land. Even if money came from farang husband. Semantics aside, it is the wife that owns the land.

The OP has two choices... think of his future, or think of his children's.

Let's just leave it at this.

gumball you dont really know whats best for my kids , so stop keep on . im not being selfish just thinking of myself here

How can you suggest that he "has no chance of succeeding in Thailand"? I'm curious, as I certainly know of a few people who have arrived in Thailand with hardly a pot to piss in, and have become very successful, despite the odds - care to enlighten me BJ, on why the OP couldn't be successful in his own right?. I'm not suggesting that it is easy, and there are pitfalls, but the OP doesn't seem to be an idiot, and he's asked some valid questions and got some valid answers. This whole thing about having all the savings etc in place before doing something, would probably mean that 90% of people never move to another country. Of course you've been here a longtime, and have your views which is fine, but they are pretty dated.

For every foreigner you know who made a success, I know one hundred that failed miserably.

And that was when a military Junta wasn't looking to rid Thailand of illegal workers.

Why OP couldn't be successful,

1. Works in a restricted job.

2. no previous management skills.

3. No previous experience of running his own business.

4. Limited education (so can't work as a teacher)

IMHO it doesn't look promising.

im not looking to work in thailand , success is measured differently by different people

• Like 1

"cheers for the support. not much other than great beaches , waterfalls, caves,windsurfing,diving, fresh seafood on beachfront resturants, golf courses, bit of nightlife in town, , island s nearby including samui ,ko tao, and more. it aint no pattaya but that suits me"

That is what people do on a holiday not what we do everyday. The restaurants in that region are subpar, the food is 40% more expensive than other provinces. The islands are filled with young party crowds and not family oriented. There are less than 40% Thai people on those islands. My wife has to speak English in her own country going there. The waterfall, caves are not as impressive as other regions.

If you are comparing Pataya, then yes, but there are more places in Thailand than BKK, Pataya and Chumpon. After living here for more than 1/2 my life I have seen quite a bit of the country. I also know as an expat you will need a mixture of local culture and western luxuries. For long term living your mindset is not right. You still think that living here is a long holiday. Until you change that attitude, just come for 2-3 months a year when your work slows down.

Watch the videos of that fat guy in BKK and his family. People that are ill planned have fun but suffer.

hi zeichen i ve spent probably 10 years of my relatively young life in thailand all over and have ended up settled in chumphon, im not talking about samui , chumphon, what u described above 40 % is samui not chumphon. u question my mindset yet we have never met . come on man

• Like 1

thanks for all the replys. sure is food for thought . my wife already has a small business plan and without too much of a set up cost. and it s a pretty good idea, small but could pay the billls etc. like i said in first post i d always put off the idea of living in thailand once i had kids , but now ive got an inner urge to give it a go and it wont go away. we are not coming to thailand to get rich just live a simple , happy life in a nice house in a nice enviroment. chumphon . or i just forget about it and let the urge go away and be sensible and safe

Boris the Road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Given your present financial circumstances it would be very difficult. That's just an observation don't take it personally.

Why don't you plan extended holidays every year and get a feel for it first.

hi atf , extended holidays each year only in the past have teased me into wanting to give it a go. it depend s what drives you i suppose, im not one who needs loads of money to make me happy, its not all about finances , i understand a little financial security but 4 million baht isnt a bad starting point is it ?

But this would also be like an extended holiday. You wrote that you are willing to go back 3 months every 6 months. So will you only live here 6 months a year then? And stay alone without wife and kids 6 months?

why not many people do. think more like 4 months every 12

Hi Boris. I can relate to your ideas as i myself have this sort of plan but even though my son all grown up now, i am still wary.

I think if you are passionate you can make it happen,but as others have said, the finances needed to cater for you and your family future is severely lacking.

If i was you i would try to keep work contacts in UK open.You could locate family in thailand and go work UK for part of the year alone. No need to worry about family as Thai women seem easy to take care of family when alone in their own country.

But why buy a house when rent so cheap? To many things could go wrong if u invest millions in a house and then get stranded with nothing.To easy for others to take the plss also.

If marriage goes sour you will be left pennyless and not even a visa to stay.

Rent a house for family near the property you have...work on building the house when you back in thailand every year. I would very scared to lay out big money to start...especially at that young age. Try to keep at least some of the money invested safe in UK for you and your kids..thailand and its people are big risk for westerners and always will be..sorry to say this but is the reality of it

People mention home schooling.

What's that all about.

Any websites to look for?

Beetle juice's posts on first reading you feel. Bitter twisted old git. you want to punch him.

However on reading again with an open mind

The guy makes some valid points.

Maybe the voice of reason we try to ignore when seeking confirmation of our dreams.

the UK is by far the better choice. At least for now.

• Like 1

I read the thread title and thinking.... come now man... don't wait until you are old and ugly.

But then I opened the thread and saw you have 2 kids. How disappointing.......

Stay in UK would be my advice.

Also.... sure there are a lot of members here who like to point fingers and dish out advice, but the fact is doing carpentry job in Thailand can get you in a lot of trouble.... especially now.

The most important part, however, is that UK has one of the best medical systems in the world. I am from Canada and even though I have money here I still find the hospitals expensive..... comparing to.... you know..... free

It's really strange that people always think that education and health care are free. They are NOT free.

They are actually very expensive. The fact that you don't get billed does not mean you do not pay.

The tax you pay is being used to pay the education and healthcare bills. Get it in to your heads people.

Healthcare and education is NOT FREE in the 'western world'.

exactly. the real rate of tax is 90 %. they even tax you 40 % of whats left when u die

Hey Boris, I understand your feeling, let me explain my story. I met my Thai's GF in USA, I hadn't been to Thailand before. Once she was done studying her master there, she decided to go back to Thailand because it's where her family lives. I gave a try and followed her there, we lived in BKK for 12 months.

Then, she got pregnant and we moved to Brussels(I am Belgian) because this is the right thing to do. Just a couple weeks ago my GF told me that our life was much better here for our daughter and told me there is no way that we go back to Thailand with a kid because the education's so bad. We don't excluse any possibility to go back to live there when our daughter will get her high school degree.

Your situation may be a bit different of mine because we're much younger than you thus I'll be only 40 yo by the time she's done with high school so I ain't gonna move there so old.

The only way to move to Thailand is to be sure that you're able to work legally and you can pay the international school for the next 12 years! in other word, you can't move to Thailand with your saving.

But from what I've read so far, your mind is already set to move to Thailand no matter what people are gonna tell you, so just give a try for a year, don't start to buy a house, just rent a house, put your kids in a Thai school ( don't put them in international school, give a real try of what is gonna be your life there because in the long run you won't be able to pay it).

By the way you said that you wanted to move to Thailand but what about your wife ? Is she ok with that ? She may not want to loose her job in UK.

hi wilda i wouldnt say my mind is made up, its a bloody big decision to take the kids from here to thailand . u mentioned my wife wanting to go or not, i think ask most thai s if they want to live in thailand or outside and 99 % would love to stay in thailand

Sorry if this has been said already as I only read the 1st page.

Boris if I were you I would stay put.

You obviously make good money & while the vacation spot Thailand looks good...

you will find living here off your savings most of which you plan to spend right off will leave you

sorry later imho.

Your in your prime earning years now & doing well. You have 2 kids to think of &

now have a life where your all together.

Do not trade that for what appears better but with no real future prospects.

You say you can leave them & go make $$$ back home?

That is not a life.

You said trade for a more outdoor life? This is not Hawaii. Much of the year is too hot for a real outdoor life.

But mainly your kids will likely have a more well rounded outlook raised there in a complete family than here in a splintered family.

If your doing well vacation here a month or so a year. Let your wife & kids come & keep contact with her family.

But at 36? To give up your best earning years for what you may think is an easy life...I think you will reget it.

You or your wife will work quite hard here to earn a tiny fraction of what you earn there.

Yes it goes further here IF your satisifed with less quality too.If you compare equal quality of anything you & your kids are now experiencing whether that be schools or goods you will find prices exactly the same or higher.

Good luck with what you decide but please leave your return options open if you do move here.

Dont blow your life savings the first year getting set up. Because if it goes pear shape you & yours will go back to your other home not having anywhere near what you have now

Good Luck

some good advice there , thanks

How many people have the dream of living full time in Thailand only to get here and be bored senseless before completing their 1st year. Unless you have full time employment, preferably on an expat contract, I would say you are far too young to make the move - and you also have plenty of time once your kids have left the nest.

Even if you can afford good international schools (which I doubt) you have to remember that they would be growing up surrounded by Thai culture. Growing up in the UK naturally tends to give kids a better chance in life than growing up in Thailand.

hi geordie 59 growing up surrounded by thai culture doesnt sound bad compared to nowdays uk culture, although on the bright side if i stayed here my kids would be multi lingual, polish , romanian and indian, think your thinking maybe a little old school no offence ment

• Like 1

^^^^,

how many get here and before the first year is up realise in aint the tropical paradise of their dreams?

Best of luck to the guy, 2 kids in an international school in Bkk, theres almost 2 million baht per year gone.

He says he can save 1 million baht by working 6 months in the UK, thats 20 thousand quid in six months, over three grand per month, sorry I dont know any joiners earning that sort of money.

Thats after his living costs of say 1 thousand per month in the Uk and sending his mrs 1 thousand per month.

Take home pay after tax of 5 thousand per month, best of luck to him, as I mentioned before, what contract is he on and where is he working?

Might have to get the overalls looked out and go back to the tools.

hi rgs , its not my first time here mate, didnt mention schooling in bangkok, try working for yourself a good carpenter can earn that sort of money, why would i bother saying it, london , alot of people there pay a lot of money for a good job. thousand pounds living costs if im here by myself , rent free dude . its all managable

• Like 1

^^^^^,

nice one, and thats exactly what they will get, Thai healthcare.

Yes they will be eligible for Thai healthcare, would you subject your wife and kids to Thai healthcare?

If he cant afford private healthcare for, himself his mrs and kids, IMHO, he shouldnt be here.

my kid was born in thai hospital, no problems , great service

I am not being rude or slaging you off, this is not personal, I am telling you how it is, giving the facts.

I am also saying that you have no chance of succeeding and sustaining yourself and your family in Thailand regarding your situation as it is according to how you have described your circumstancies so far, plus you would not be living strictly by the laws of Thailand. I also said that you should research further prior to considering moving here especially where your children are concerned, and I mentioned that you should consider leaving your children in the UK while you are trying to establish yourself in Thailand. I asked if you have made any arrangements for your retirement such as insurance policies and pensions? And gave you an estimate of how much cash you will require for yourself and family per month and an estimate of how long your savings will last in Thailand on the amounts you have quoted as having.

So getting straight to the point, my answer to your question; Thailand now or later? Is without a shadow of a doubt, later, much later in fact.

These are the facts, otherwise in what other ways would you like me to explain this and what else would you prefer to hear?

BJ, more patronizing drivel as per form.

Clarify, how he would not be strictly living to the laws of Thailand? If this is about his wife buying land, then that is quite frankly ridiculous.

Let me guess, you have never , ever broken any law at all?

If you had perused my posts properly then you would fully understand where I am coming from here.

Firstly I am not being patronizing, I am speaking from my wealth of experience, and my comments and advice are never drivel. Over the years my advice has probably saved many a lot of expense and steered people in the right direction, plus are always very informative. Not my fault that sometimes there are those living in cloud cuckoo land and I put out facts that some prefer not to hear.

I have said in my previous posts that if the OP decides to pack up in the UK and bring himself and family here to live for the long term he would not be successful according to his present situation as he has described it in his posts. It`s all a simple case of mathematics. If the OP would do some more research as I have suggested regarding the cost of International school education for his 2 children and his cost of living expenses he will see that his savings and expenditure over the long term do not equate and within the next few years all his funds will be depleted. This has nothing to do with being outdated, these are the hard facts. I asked the OP if he has any insurance policies or pensions planned to financially sustain him and his family for his old age? But he has ignored my question.

I have not hinted that the OP is an idiot, but in my opinion he appears extremely naïve and also for some reasons desperate to leave the UK. As for abiding by the laws of Thailand I have explained all this is my posts. Also it seems the OP believes that it`s going to be a doddle finding work here, starting his own business or setting up his wife in some sort of business. Again I suggest to the OP that he does some research, regarding the legalities and what is involved for foreigners running and owning businesses legally in Thailand. And again I repeat, all this is down to the OP`s risk and discretion if he moves to Thailand soon under his present circumstances.

As harsh as this sounds, I would say the same even if the OP was a close friend or member of my own family, because as I said; this is not personal. He either takes heed of the advice some of us have given who like me are old hands and know the score or he doesn’t, it`s up to him.

a doddle finding work. im not even going to work in thailand in 40 degree heat for a tenth of what i can come back to the uk and get. stop keep on about breaking the law ,i didnt ignore your question ive been at work all day, u remember them days ? thanks for being a little less arsey this time

• Like 1

People mention home schooling.

What's that all about.

Any websites to look for?

Beetle juice's posts on first reading you feel. Bitter twisted old git. you want to punch him.

However on reading again with an open mind

The guy makes some valid points.

Maybe the voice of reason we try to ignore when seeking confirmation of our dreams.

the UK is by far the better choice. At least for now.

possibly mate, thats what im trying to figure out