Have you ever taken Medazepam or Nortrilien

davidst01

I sometimes suffer from anxiety / panic attacks and was recently advised by a Pysch to take the above 2 pills - both 10mg. The M drug is specifically for anxiety. 

The 2nd one is an anti depressant. I told the dr I was not depressed but he said it could help with my fatigue. I wake up at 4am often. 

I am thinking of taking the anxiety pill and wanted to know if anyone else has taken this and what are the long term side effects. The dr said there its not addictive but Ive read on the web that it is. Not sure what to believe and thus seek real users 

I have trivial  heart issues  and could not see any info on the risks to the heart of taking the M. 

thanks for your opinion. Hoping that the legendary cheryle can comment

Anti-Depressants are often prescribed for Anxiety, so that is not uncommon. What particular one have you been prescribed?

Regarding Medazepam, any Benzo IMPO should not be prescribed long term due to them being addictive, I would seriously question the competence of the Doctor if he is saying they are not addictive. How has he prescribed the Benzo? Is it a PRN or scheduled doses?

In terms of your anxiety / panic attacks a more long term and better solution might be for you to undertake some CBT sessions with a qualified therapist.

I've been precribed very similar drugs to both in the past but not for panic attacks. I never needed to coninue with them for more than a month or two at the most.

Medazepam has a long lasting effect. Benzodiazapines are habit forming, however I would let the Doctor decide the pros and cons of prescribing it based on the OP's individual situation and the severity of the panic attacks. Mixing alcohol with any benzodiazapine like Medazepam is a dangerous thing to do.

Nortrilien the antidepressant is also known by its generic name Nortriptyline. The therapeutic dosage is listed as starting at 75-100 mg for adults. If the OP is being given a 10 mg dosage I would be inclined to follow the Doctor's advice and take it as well.

There isn't really any need to worry about becoming addicted to Medazepam until after it's been taken for quite some time. I suspect the 10mg dosage is also quite low, so that should lessen the risk of addiction.

Sheryl?

Generally prescribing guidelines for Benzos are not more than 30 days. It is irresponsible of any Physician to suggest otherwise that a Benzo is not addictive. In terms of the low dose of Medazepam, irrespective the roots of Addiction forming is not dependent on the dose. There specifically needs to be more education around Benzo prescribing, and also for Doctors to prescribe responsibly with full facts.

I am assuming that Nortriptyline has been prescribed as it has a sedative effect. 10mg is a very low dose.

It is quite possible to become addicted with long term use of this drug. You are right to be hesitant about taking it. People with  anxiety disorders often become addicted to benzos which in turn greatly adds to their problems.

I would advise against taking either medication unless it is in combination with some type of therapy. And I would start therapy first and get the therapist's opinion/advice as to the need for medication as he or she will have had the opportunity to get to know you much better than a doctor can in a short  visit(s).

As for other side effects:

Drowsiness, blurred vision, confusion, unsteady gait/tremors, confusion, memory problems and low BP are the most common. In some cases, urinary retention, liver damage and blood dyscrasias. I am not aware of any specific cardiac effects other than the tendency to lower BP. This is all when taken a=t normal doses. Overdose, or any combining with alcohol, is another matter and can even be fatal.

There are some non-addictive alternatives to benzos for anxiety disorders, if medication is needed ( i.e. if the problem is severe enough to be incapacitating). If possible it is better to endure the anxiety and learn to handle it in other ways, which cognitive behavior therapy can help you with.