Thailand behind in global citizenship learning: educator

webfact

Soon as I hear "global citizenship" I know it's more left wing horse do do.   Citizenship belongs to people in the country they were born or have chosen to live and is deemed so by the government of that country.

Learning geography and world history is interesting, well it was for me, but it was Maths, Science and English that was needed in the workplace.

Yes, those pesky left wingers with their nutty ideas about internationalism. Imagine actually caring about what happens in other countries, claiming that that has an effect on me where I live. 

And don't get me started on pollution. I know it's crazy but some people think that just because the shit we release into the atmosphere crosses borders we should actually do something about it! The nerve!!

Well this is quite funny, because having returned to the UK, my kids went through their new bit of brain washing about green energy and how wonderful it is that we intend to put up solar farms in the UK at enormous cost, and not particularly good efficiency.  This went of for a term or so.  Then lo and behold, my son had to do a project about the pitfalls of wind energy.  

Why you might ask.  Well, it turned out that the mother of the local MP had applied to put a bloody big wind turbine on her land, and all the locals were objecting, to the point that it became a pet project in school to now study and produce posters about how annoying windmills can be when they are in close proximity.  

All this talk of Global Citizenship is a lot of feel good BS. Citizenship implies being a member of a formal construct, like a nation. This idea is a thinly disguised attempt to inculcate the notion of a global authority, which as “global citizens” all must defer to. And look who it’s coming from, the UN,  a supra-governmental organisation, the apex of the push towards eventual Global Governance.

The amount of propaganda trying to sell ASEAN and sell the idea of “Global Citizenship” is pretty thick methinks. Of course they can’t even define what “global citizenship” even means. That’s because it’s all hot air. I would have thought that the idea of “Global Citizenship” could be construed as a threat to the national sovereignty of this fair kingdom.

I love the notion that somehow yet another layer of authority (ASEAN / The UN) is supposed to magically bind humanity in some kind of bliss of brotherly love and unicorn dust. When the truth is more the reverse, the less the planning and legislation, (ie: the freer the market), the better the trade, and the more the brotherly love. It was laissez faire capitalism that allowed the US to become the titan it was.

If you strip off all the feel good fluff, it’s just about learning to peacefully co-exist and trade with others who may be different, and knowing a useful foreign language for communication. This is hardly a new idea. Everyone knows we live in a global society, they have access to the internet. Not everyone cares, but those who do will have the chance to interact internationally and benefit from it.

People were better global citizens before World War 1, when there were no passports, no barriers to travel. Trade often followed. The people who did travel had much more chance to have a truly international experience than we do today in many respects.

Global Citizenship is nonsense. We don’t all share the same values, so why pretend we do? A lot of what is referred to as “morals” and “culture” is pretty self serving and logically inconsistent. We are a long way from an objective, well reasoned and logical universal morality. The only thing we can be sure of is that it won’t be the people who are the main beneficiaries of all this.

• Like 1

All this talk of Global Citizenship is a lot of feel good BS. Citizenship implies being a member of a formal construct, like a nation. This idea is a thinly disguised attempt to inculcate the notion of a global authority, which as “global citizens” all must defer to. And look who it’s coming from, the UN,  a supra-governmental organisation, the apex of the push towards eventual Global Governance.

The amount of propaganda trying to sell ASEAN and sell the idea of “Global Citizenship” is pretty thick methinks. Of course they can’t even define what “global citizenship” even means. That’s because it’s all hot air. I would have thought that the idea of “Global Citizenship” could be construed as a threat to the national sovereignty of this fair kingdom.

I love the notion that somehow yet another layer of authority (ASEAN / The UN) is supposed to magically bind humanity in some kind of bliss of brotherly love and unicorn dust. When the truth is more the reverse, the less the planning and legislation, (ie: the freer the market), the better the trade, and the more the brotherly love. It was laissez faire capitalism that allowed the US to become the titan it was.

If you strip off all the feel good fluff, it’s just about learning to peacefully co-exist and trade with others who may be different, and knowing a useful foreign language for communication. This is hardly a new idea. Everyone knows we live in a global society, they have access to the internet. Not everyone cares, but those who do will have the chance to interact internationally and benefit from it.

People were better global citizens before World War 1, when there were no passports, no barriers to travel. Trade often followed. The people who did travel had much more chance to have a truly international experience than we do today in many respects.

Global Citizenship is nonsense. We don’t all share the same values, so why pretend we do? A lot of what is referred to as “morals” and “culture” is pretty self serving and logically inconsistent. We are a long way from an objective, well reasoned and logical universal morality. The only thing we can be sure of is that it won’t be the people who are the main beneficiaries of all this.

You're taking this global citizenship issue too far. No one (sane) is talking about a global superstate forming in the near future - or ever. It's more an understanding of how everything is connected in today's world and that "no nation is an island".

And if you see the UN as a threat then I guess you're one of those who see black helicopters on a regular basis.

The US has never had a  laissez-faire economy. There has always been tariffs, subsidies etc. Most developed (and indeed most developing) nations have varying degrees of economic freedom, but pure capitalism, free of any regulation, will fail as miserably as communism.

• Like 1

toooa, I share a lot of the cynicism written in you post above.

"Of course they can’t even define what “global citizenship” even means."

I noticed that too.

Often it can be used to define a person who places their identity with the "global community" above their identity as a citizen of a particular nation. The idea is that one’s identity transcends political borders (national interests) and that mankind is essentially one. Is this compatible with Gen Prayuth's 12 points for educators that I mentioned here?

"it’s just about learning to peacefully co-exist and trade with others who may be different, and knowing a useful foreign language for communication. <snip> Not everyone cares, but those who do will have the chance to interact internationally and benefit from it."

In order to have broad and widespread benefit from peaceful coexistence and trade knowledge of a foreign language is essential. Every Thai person I speak to does care. They don't want to feel left out from enjoying the benefits of internationalization and at the same time they don't know what to do to avoid being left behind.

"We don’t all share the same values, so why pretend we do? 

They can focus on the common values that we do have.

recently the junta launched a heavy crackdown on visa runner and illegal teacher. The message was pretty clear : teacher get out of thailand.

Not only the salary is low, but in some case the school dont even provide a work permit:

But who gonna suffer first? Of course the small, local, poor, public school who hired a foreigner for just 20 Kbaht.

The junta wanted obviously let the poor student in a sea of ignorance.

Nope, they just want qualified teachers, and not the rogue ones, who often left home to evade personal problems, and are just looking for a nice way to score chicks and beer 

yes but if they do want qualified teacher they do have to pay the appropriate salary! Why is this so hard to understand?

Do you think people are willing to work for misery? In thailand there is a huge lack of teacher in any field! Not only in english!

I have a thai friend, who works as a teacher at Assumption university, when my friend did learn i did graduated in science. He started to complain they can not found science and IT teacher, and if i was willing to work at this university. The starting salary would have been around 80K bahtcheesy.gif . At this price i will not get up of my bedcheesy.gif

And let me add,  the teaching level is so low in thailand, that any backpacker its better than nothing!

recently the junta launched a heavy crackdown on visa runner and illegal teacher. The message was pretty clear : teacher get out of thailand.

Not only the salary is low, but in some case the school dont even provide a work permit:

But who gonna suffer first? Of course the small, local, poor, public school who hired a foreigner for just 20 Kbaht.

Nope, they just want qualified teachers, and not the rogue ones, who often left home to evade personal problems, and are just looking for a nice way to score chicks and beer 

Well said. Seems Bender thinks he's entitled to the world. @Bender - Arrogance is not a virtue, and if you don't have the qualifications to get a valid visa and work pernit, and please God let that be the case, then get the gear out of your duffle-bag before you fly home. If LIFE'S that hard for you here, then rid of it before you have to cope with 20 MORE years here. Then again, maybe you'd enjoy the free food and the Bending? The Philippines is not that far away to fly home to, you know. wink.png

one more old fart on thai visa cheesy.gif  its like we didnt have enough moaner alreadylaugh.png

yes but if they do want qualified teacher they do have to pay the appropriate salary! Why is this so hard to understand?

Do you think people are willing to work for misery? In thailand there is a huge lack of teacher in any field! Not only in english!

I have a thai friend, who works as a teacher at Assumption university, when my friend did learn i did graduated in science. He started to complain they can not found science and IT teacher, and if i was willing to work at this university. The starting salary would have been around 80K bahtcheesy.gif . At this price i will not get up of my bedcheesy.gif

And let me add,  the teaching level is so low in thailand, that any backpacker its better than nothing!

80K isn't a bad salary in Thailand. It.s almost three times my BASIC salary at a government university.

I don't think Thais really like foreigners teaching as we tend to influence Thai students in a "bad" way. My idea was reinforced this morning when I read an article in the Bangkok Post that from now on the job of "nanny" is reserved for Thais only. I can't imagine any westerners working as nannies but the reason for this new rule was that children brought up by Burmese and Cambodian nannies would copy them and learn their culture and habits instead of Thai culture and habits!!!

Maybe it won't be long before there are less and less foreign teachers in government schools. Just a thought.

• Like 1

80K isn't a bad salary in Thailand. It.s almost three times my BASIC salary at a government university.

I don't think Thais really like foreigners teaching as we tend to influence Thai students in a "bad" way. My idea was reinforced this morning when I read an article in the Bangkok Post that from now on the job of "nanny" is reserved for Thais only. I can't imagine any westerners working as nannies but the reason for this new rule was that children brought up by Burmese and Cambodian nannies would copy them and learn their culture and habits instead of Thai culture and habits!!!

Maybe it won't be long before there are less and less foreign teachers in government schools. Just a thought.

i did spend 5 years learning at the university to end up working for 80 k. no thanks! I actually earn more than that...smile.png

"I don't think Thais really like foreigners teaching as we tend to influence Thai students in a "bad" way."

Yes, of course not only foreign teacher dont brainwash student with stupid nationalism, but student tend to become more  "open-mind".

More open-mind equals less thainess

And also this country dont want to provide education to the poor. So they have to create a shortage in teacher fields.

Only the rich will afford a good education, the poor will be left over. Thats what the junta and the eilte want!

• Like 1

I hope, for God's sake, they were not employing you as an English teacher.

If you can't get a legitimate work permit and teacher's licence, then sod off is all I can say. You're not a teacher, or kru or Ajarn, in anyway whatsoever.

Judging by your attitude on this forum, no classroom needs you in it - mind bender mai na?

Oh, so you are a teacher? For whom do you work?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

top thai elites and the wealthy send their children to learn overseas ...who then come back step into the familys business etc and continue with the closed mind xenophobic mindset...thailand has a long way to go

its the medieval mindset of the powerful.... keep the masses ignorant, keep control of the money and power! religion was designed by the educated to keep the masses under the thumb.

when the educated made the written thai language they made it as difficult as possible to keep the masses illiterate and ignorant. to bring Thailand into the modern world they should scrap the written language and use the English alphabet....then it wouldn't take kids 5 years to learn!

Soon as I hear "global citizenship" I know it's more left wing horse do do.   Citizenship belongs to people in the country they were born or have chosen to live and is deemed so by the government of that country.

Learning geography and world history is interesting, well it was for me, but it was Maths, Science and English that was needed in the workplace.

Thank god that someone here understands that nothing good ever comes from the left. The sooner we reverse every single policy they brought in, the better!

Things like
giving the women the vote. That's where it went wrong. I mean really.....
Then giving them equal pay???? It's scientific fact that they just don't deserve it. Like.... Not having a penis. ... And so on
And criminalising domestic abuse - farkin lefties made it a crime for a husband to give his wife what she deserved. And probably asked for. And the kids too. Brats the lot of them.
And for letting those wives and kids have access to health care for their beatings. (Which was their own fault goddamn it.....)
And the shelters that the left built for them so that the husband couldn't teach them not to do it again
And the inquiries set up to investigate kiddy fiddlers. Damn left should have known better. And given that some of it happened in shelters the left set up..... Well that just proves the left is always wrong. And any do-do they fixed they made worse by being ....well... lefties.... And do gooders. And possibly liberal as well.
And abolishing corporal punishment in schools - it was better when a teacher was allowed to smack a kid for being out of order.... Or stupid... Or just because.....

But that's only the start of what they did. They actually encouraged non whites think they were people..... And giving THEM the vote too. And apologising to them for slavery.......and insisting they got paid the same as actual people. You know..... White ones. Bloody do gooders. And they would actually still say its a good idea.

That's what really gets my goat. They still think its a good idea to allow this stuff to happen. And they made us stop dressing in white sheets and giving them pretend people what for....

And don't get me started on employment rights, health and safety and free education.
And student grants??? Giving good tax payer money to let poor people realise their potential when everyone knows it's a fact that poor people will only scrounge on welfare.
And welfare... I mean if we could let those hungry kids starve in a generation or two it would take care of itself.
And they brought in a 5 day week. And a 40 hour week. I mean how is it possible to make money when people won't put in a fair weeks work.
And they want a minimum wage.
And overtime. And a pension.

And that's still not all. The sins of the left go on.
public health.
Legal aid
Appeals processes
Oh - and the ombudsman. And .........

I could go on all night Speaking of horse do do that was brought in by the left - but given that you stopped reading a few minutes ago - and that your brain is actual do do - what's the point?

Maybe if you opened your mind and closed your mouth.......

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by getthaid

"He said that when students learned about the country's neighbours..."

"It was agreed at the three-day conference, which ended on Friday and was organised by Unesco..."

Which language are you using, Khun Pravit? British English or American English. Either it's learnt or organized, if you want to use learned then use neighbors. Try to keep it standard next time; there's a good learning lad.

As for your article, it's complete garbage; sorry, I meant trash.

Edit: In case you didn't get it, in British English = rubbish.

• Like 1

Thank god that someone here understands that nothing good ever comes from the left. The sooner we reverse every single policy they brought in, the better!

Things like
giving the women the vote. That's where it went wrong. I mean really.....
Then giving them equal pay???? It's scientific fact that they just don't deserve it. Like.... Not having a penis. ... And so on
And criminalising domestic abuse - farkin lefties made it a crime for a husband to give his wife what she deserved. And probably asked for. And the kids too. Brats the lot of them.
And for letting those wives and kids have access to health care for their beatings. (Which was their own fault goddamn it.....)
And the shelters that the left built for them so that the husband couldn't teach them not to do it again
And the inquiries set up to investigate kiddy fiddlers. Damn left should have known better. And given that some of it happened in shelters the left set up..... Well that just proves the left is always wrong. And any do-do they fixed they made worse by being ....well... lefties.... And do gooders. And possibly liberal as well.
And abolishing corporal punishment in schools - it was better when a teacher was allowed to smack a kid for being out of order.... Or stupid... Or just because.....

But that's only the start of what they did. They actually encouraged non whites think they were people..... And giving THEM the vote too. And apologising to them for slavery.......and insisting they got paid the same as actual people. You know..... White ones. Bloody do gooders. And they would actually still say its a good idea.

That's what really gets my goat. They still think its a good idea to allow this stuff to happen. And they made us stop dressing in white sheets and giving them pretend people what for....

And don't get me started on employment rights, health and safety and free education.
And student grants??? Giving good tax payer money to let poor people realise their potential when everyone knows it's a fact that poor people will only scrounge on welfare.
And welfare... I mean if we could let those hungry kids starve in a generation or two it would take care of itself.
And they brought in a 5 day week. And a 40 hour week. I mean how is it possible to make money when people won't put in a fair weeks work.
And they want a minimum wage.
And overtime. And a pension.

And that's still not all. The sins of the left go on.
public health.
Legal aid
Appeals processes
Oh - and the ombudsman. And .........

I could go on all night Speaking of horse do do that was brought in by the left - but given that you stopped reading a few minutes ago - and that your brain is actual do do - what's the point?

Maybe if you opened your mind and closed your mouth.......

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It seems your inclined to get a bit off topic and dramatise a lot so I am assuming your on the side of the left wing morons.  Your choice, we all know where you stand.