Amazon Kindle Book Deception

noendtoit

At least we are making progress, for once a poster did not call it a scam in his title 

A scam and a deception are not the same thing, though they are first cousins.  Scams typically, though not always, involve an unlawful practice.  Deceptive practices, may be unlawful, but that doesn't define them.  

What Amazon is doing is perfectly legal and practiced by many if not most businesses in some form or another, and has been pointed out by the apologists.

I would never have started such a post, had the offending company been Walmart, part of the insurance or airline industry, etc.  That they engage in such practices is such a given that to complain about these lawful practices would be idiotic (I recognize I have opened the door with that last remark -- perhaps the flamers can resist?).

I also recognize Amazon is a ruthless company.  Jeff Bezos did not become the world's largest Internet retailer in such a short time by being a nice guy.  To think so, would be beyond naive.  But part of Jeff Bezos' formula was his promise of unmatched customer service and a company integrity his customers could (not his competitors) trust.  This is a point that seems completely lost to all the apologists that have posted to this thread.

Sure companies collect taxes.  Sure they often have surcharges for extra expenses.  But to conceal them is deceptive.  

If Amazon needs to collect taxes, such as they do for Australia, the UK, California, etc., or other surcharges, they should simply itemize and list them at checkout, as they do for Australia, the UK, California, etc., and the customer could choose to complete or abandon the transaction.  But instead, Amazon chose to conceal the fact that they are using dual pricing.  This act breached the company integrity Bezos promised on his way up.  This seems significant -- a marked change in direction.  As a customer, I can no longer trust the company.  I will henceforth, consider them like every other company.  Amazon is no longer "a company I would recommend to my friends."

So no, not a scam, but, yes, it is a troubling deception.  

When I registered with my address it would not let me download any books to that region. Registered using a U.S address and could download all books. Changed to UK address as payment card was from a UK bank so no exchange rate fee. Sister in US has tried to gift me a book using US site and I am not allowed to download with UK address. As stated previously all to do with tax.

I have been doing this for well over a year and it was from a gift token latterly,ask her to send you a gift token then

Not used Calibre yet.   I like ww2 stuff  "Battle of Coral Sea" etc.   Martin Middlebrook,do not know if he is into Kindle yet,but got loads from Amazon,hard to put some books down

Just looked at the account,it is a Mastercard that I have registered that produces the UKs Daily Mail at $9.99,instead of £9.99  and my book ordering comes off my gift token that is topped up