Has anyone ever shipped a car to the US?

pkspeaker

I have too much time on my hands??

few people noticed on post#8 I had already conceded that it wasn't a good idea..i'm not a shipping expert and didn't know about car re-sale values since i dont deal in used cars.. already forgot about it and told the wife we'll need to sell it here and figured their wouldn't be any more replies to the thread.. yet another 2 pages of people posting the same reply-although i did read them, i guess its educational some of what people wrote.., ok i get it it, shipping cars is a bad idea, tx for clearing that up.

and i love the comments like Duh and Huh.. like everyone has to know everything about shipping cars and import car standards DUH! WHATever

Looks like the OP had too much time on his hands this morning.

Edited by pkspeaker

YEA really?  The FOREIGN CARS IN THE US are the crappy ones .. where have you been since the 1980s when detroit went to the crapper..

In 1999 my family in the US lost both their cars in a garage fire, they had fire insurance and car insuarce so they replaced their cars, 1 new Honda Accord and 1 new Pontiac Bonnevile..

The Honda was great, no complaints and totally reliable

The Pontiac was a POS, that 'AC Delco' crap is trash, the radio stopped working right, the little plastic things in the passenger compartment start breaking off, the electric antenna broke, the vents and airflow wouldn't work right(ie the fan would keep shutting down), the main gasket on the engine deteriorated and had to be replaced-and that was expensive.. every couple years when i would goto visit they would tell me it's latest issues..

Don't let anyone tell you that GM ever fixed it's problems since the 80's

FORD- i think is probably a good company.. but GM and Chrysler-FORGETIT..when was the last time Toyota or Honda needed a government bailout..  the only reason GM and chrysler still exist is because government bailouts.. FORD is the only American car company that has made it on its own.

In Thailand, a 2010 Yaris 1.5E sells for an average price of 340,000 Baht (~US$10,600). Surprisingly, I see 2010 Yaris cars advertised for sale in America average about $US10,000. Pattayashipping can put your car in a 20 foot container. Prices below is an example of shipping a car to Australia but should give you an example of what your in for: 

POD : Brisbane , Australia for a CAR
Rate : $US1,650.00/20'
Carrier : Mearsk T/T : 18-20 days
Sailing : LCB  Mon,Wed weekly

Local charge and customs clearance BELOW you pay on all container shipments across the board. These may vary: Below is for a car.

THC                                    THB 2,600.00/20'
CFS                                    THB 1,650.00/20'
B/L                                     THB 500.00/Set
Surrender (If Any)                 THB 500.00/Set
Courier Fee by DHL (If Any)  THB 700.00/Shipment
Handling Charge                  THB 2500.00/Shipment
Customs Formality               THB 2500.00/Shipment
Shipping Charge                  THB 2,000.00/Shipment
Customs Surcharge              THB 270.00/Personal 200.00/Company
Lashing Fee                         THB 3,000.00/Car
Cleaning Fee                        THB 2,500.00/Car
Deregister Fee (If Any)          THB 5,000.00/Car
Gate Entry (If Any)                THB 570.00/FCL20'

And then like other posts say, you need to have it inspected and pass emissions and safety standards etc which is quite lacking in Thai cars so expect some modifications to add etc. And then there's that right hand driver thing...awkward... Good luck reselling it.

By the way, a brand new Yaris in America sells for about $US 16,000. Personally,  I  would never buy a foreign car in the US. They are expensive because they are imported and even more expensive to fix.

You were heading for home until you posted the final highlighted sentence. Most major foreign manufacturers now produce cars in the states for both the US and International markets.. And parts are in Canada. Mexico and the states so little, to no, import duty or taxes with NAFTA and various other International treaties regarding parts imports. They are mostly just higher cost because of higher quality in many cases.

That's the beauty of those models, can buy low and sell higher once I go through them and bring them back up to quality, did that for a few months, sold a few when I was there and made respectable returns. Occasionally still I check the listings and none of mine show back up, The buyers are for the most part happy and the cars still chugging along. Mostly the buyers were expats for a few reasons because they get a good older car that's been properly gone through and secondly they want something not so vanilla and can appreciate something European and not just another Toyota. They are getting few and far between these days now though I see..

By specializing in them I had a good run of spare parts and sources to interchange when necessary between cars, to package one or two at a time with more options and features for example and the others sold at lower prices.

I did see one a few weeks ago for 50,000b and that might have been a taker were I still there, I stayed away from any engine swaps and preferred LP installs for economy. The original engine listings and LP installs were usually up around 70,000 to 100,000b, but occasionally I got a good deal a bit lower, plenty of room to put in a new timing belt,any small things like water pumps, tune up, filters, maybe brakes and such, bleed the clutch and brake lines for the first time since the car was new whistling.gif  and go through the crap, bastardized wiring that accompanies EVERY used car in Thailand and bring it up to a safe spec..

I'm glad everything has worked out for you, re: buying and selling used cars. I made a royal fool of myself by trusting the word of a "Swiss" owned Used Car dealer in Pataya, 2.5 years ago. I purchased a used 1995 VW Golf for 200K-baht, that the dealer (looking me straight in the eye) claimed was a (farang) one-owner vehicle. I discovered the very next day that there were (in fact) nine (9) previous owners of the vehicle. When I demanded my money back, that dealer offered to buy the Golf back for 140K-baht. On the verge of losing my temper, I just walked away. Since that time, I have put nearly 250K-baht worth of repairs and parts replacements into the vehicle. FYI~The name of the dealer is "City Cars", on Sukhumvit Rd. (way to Sattahip), between Pataya Central & Pataya North, next to the Caltex station. I got ripped by another farang, with a mouthy Thai wife (the real culprit, who also lied to my naive Thai lady) lurking in the background, calling the shots. Again, I'm happy to read that you've done well for yourself in Thailandclap2.gif . Its nice to know that somebody has, for a change. Cheers

Edited by NativeSon360

YEA really?  The FOREIGN CARS IN THE US are the crappy ones .. where have you been since the 1980s when detroit went to the crapper..

In 1999 my family in the US lost both their cars in a garage fire, they had fire insurance and car insuarce so they replaced their cars, 1 new Honda Accord and 1 new Pontiac Bonnevile..

The Pontiac was a POS, that 'AC Delco' crap is trash, the radio stopped working right, the little plastic things in the passenger compartment start breaking off, the electric antenna broke, the vents and airflow wouldn't work right(ie the fan would keep shutting down), the main gasket on the engine deteriorated and had to be replaced-and that was expensive.. every couple years when i would goto visit they would tell me it's latest issues..

FORD- i think is probably a good company.. but GM and Chrysler-FORGETIT..when was the last time Toyota or Honda needed a government bailout..  the only reason GM and chrysler still exist is because government bailouts.. FORD is the only American car company that has made it on its own.

In Thailand, a 2010 Yaris 1.5E sells for an average price of 340,000 Baht (~US$10,600). Surprisingly, I see 2010 Yaris cars advertised for sale in America average about $US10,000. Pattayashipping can put your car in a 20 foot container. Prices below is an example of shipping a car to Australia but should give you an example of what your in for: 

Local charge and customs clearance BELOW you pay on all container shipments across the board. These may vary: Below is for a car.

And then like other posts say, you need to have it inspected and pass emissions and safety standards etc which is quite lacking in Thai cars so expect some modifications to add etc. And then there's that right hand driver thing...awkward... Good luck reselling it.

By the way, a brand new Yaris in America sells for about $US 16,000. Personally,  I  would never buy a foreign car in the US. They are expensive because they are imported and even more expensive to fix.

You were heading for home until you posted the final highlighted sentence. Most major foreign manufacturers now produce cars in the states for both the US and International markets.. And parts are in Canada. Mexico and the states so little, to no, import duty or taxes with NAFTA and various other International treaties regarding parts imports. They are mostly just higher cost because of higher quality in many cases.

A bit confused who you're replying to?

I saw post #8 but as threads go people still have their input, many don't read past the OP too far so maybe they missed the rest. I'd have to disagree about Chrysler too these days, they are now majority owned by FIAT/Ferrari so their new designs, QC and performance have risen dramatically over the last several years and for the first time in ages they have several models I'd give serious consideration to owning.

That's the beauty of those models, can buy low and sell higher once I go through them and bring them back up to quality, did that for a few months, sold a few when I was there and made respectable returns. Occasionally still I check the listings and none of mine show back up, The buyers are for the most part happy and the cars still chugging along. Mostly the buyers were expats for a few reasons because they get a good older car that's been properly gone through and secondly they want something not so vanilla and can appreciate something European and not just another Toyota. They are getting few and far between these days now though I see..

By specializing in them I had a good run of spare parts and sources to interchange when necessary between cars, to package one or two at a time with more options and features for example and the others sold at lower prices.

I did see one a few weeks ago for 50,000b and that might have been a taker were I still there, I stayed away from any engine swaps and preferred LP installs for economy. The original engine listings and LP installs were usually up around 70,000 to 100,000b, but occasionally I got a good deal a bit lower, plenty of room to put in a new timing belt,any small things like water pumps, tune up, filters, maybe brakes and such, bleed the clutch and brake lines for the first time since the car was new whistling.gif  and go through the crap, bastardized wiring that accompanies EVERY used car in Thailand and bring it up to a safe spec..

I'm glad everything has worked out for you, re: buying and selling used cars. I made a royal fool of myself by trusting the word of a "Swiss" owned Used Car dealer in Pataya, 2.5 years ago. I purchased a used 1995 VW Golf for 200K-baht, that the dealer (looking me straight in the eye) claimed was a (farang) one-owner vehicle. I discovered the very next day that there were (in fact) nine (9) previous owners of the vehicle. When I demanded my money back, that dealer offered to buy the Golf back for 140K-baht. On the verge of losing my temper, I just walked away. Since that time, I have put nearly 250K-baht worth of repairs and parts replacements into the vehicle. FYI~The name of the dealer is "City Cars", on Sukhumvit Rd. (way to Sattahip), between Pataya Central & Pataya North, next to the Caltex station. I got ripped by another farang, with a mouthy Thai wife (the real culprit, who also lied to my naive Thai lady) lurking in the background, calling the shots. Again, I'm happy to read that you've done well for yourself in Thailandclap2.gif . Its nice to know that somebody has, for a change. Cheers

Well I only sold a few, I wasn't a "dealer" by any means, most I bought, enhanced, used and resold, but when I did they were gone through very well and vestiges of past Thai abuse had been exorcised and given a renewed life to go forward with.

Troy Tempest & Aqua Marina ?

I hope that's true but I think it's gonna take more than that to restore confidence(foreign sharholder ownership) prior to this it was owner by mercedes benz('diamler-chrysler or whatever they were calling it).. that's kinda what the famly was thinkin when they got that bonneville- 'oh the 80's are over, GMs now got their act together and now they're just as good as a japanese car ..NOT'

whats sad about GM is in the case of that Bonnieville, overall it was kinda nice, it had very comfortable leather seats-much nicer to sit in than what the accord had, it looked cool and was nice to cruse in if you like the bigger american feel.. the constant issues it had were not 'critical', it didn't start spewing white air and throw a rod.. it's just GM screws the whole deal by using cheap parts, that gaskqet blew because it was made of cheap rubber, 'acdelco' is cheap, just a bunch nickel and dime crap that would cause it to crap out, they got better after the 80's but still lack behind what the foreign cars were doing..

A bit confused who you're replying to?

I saw post #8 but as threads go people still have their input, many don't read past the OP too far so maybe they missed the rest. I'd have to disagree about Chrysler too these days, they are now majority owned by FIAT/Ferrari so their new designs, QC and performance have risen dramatically over the last several years and for the first time in ages they have several models I'd give serious consideration to owning.

Edited by pkspeaker

few people noticed on post#8 I had already conceded that it wasn't a good idea..i'm not a shipping expert and didn't know about car re-sale values since i dont deal in used cars.. already forgot about it and told the wife we'll need to sell it here and figured their wouldn't be any more replies to the thread.. yet another 2 pages of people posting the same reply-although i did read them, i guess its educational some of what people wrote.., ok i get it it, shipping cars is a bad idea, tx for clearing that up.

and i love the comments like Duh and Huh.. like everyone has to know everything about shipping cars and import car standards DUH! WHATever

Huh ?

So you still claim that shipping a right hand steering car without heater, to a left hand steering country where they have winters, and where the price of such a car is about the same price as a first class airticket, was worth considering the shipping cost.

Duh!

whatever, if it were only a few thousand to ship, and someone over there would by it just because it was unique-there are people that would do that, not everyone just looks at the bottom line.. for me i wouldn't worry over a few thousand buks, I like to drive my car.. when i bought the cheaper yaris in the first place i coulda afforded a car twice the price but I thought the yaris was cute.. OK .. and then i got the stik shift wheich was the cheapest model not because i was cheap, but because i like stikhifts, i then optioned the most expensive aluminum wheels for it .. theres a 'yarisclub' in this country for people who just love the Yaris, i was at an autoshow and they were there with a bunch of pimped out yaris's

when it comes to cars not everyone just looks at the bottom line remember the mazda miata and the insane prices it started to go for.. i like to drive the car i bought because i have formed a semi-emotional attachment to it OK?, but it turns out that instead of costing 2-3k to get it over there and on the road like i thought might be possible, apparently it's gonna cost more like 10k and then it still might not pass some inspection and its gonna be a pain in the ass so i'm not doing it..

so maybe you can stop being a dik and trolling on every fuking thread you see w/o EVER making any uselful input..

Edited by pkspeaker

Huh ?

So you still claim that shipping a right hand steering car without heater, to a left hand steering country where they have winters, and where the price of such a car is about the same price as a first class airticket, was worth considering the shipping cost.

Duh!

Alright "Gentlemen"! Time to chill-out with the one-upmanship scenario. If we were all so "F"ing smarter than each other,  then we'd all be back in our home countries, living the same lifestyle that we live in Thailand. It is available back home (Thai women incl.). I cannot financially afford it there, anymore. So, lets get off the high-horse platforms, and be real with each other, for a change. rolleyes.gifK?

Edited by NativeSon360

I totally agree about the Ford Motor Co. I bought a new 94 Taurus. The transmission finally quit in 2013, w/ 280K+ odometer miles, but the engine was still going strong. That'll NEVER happen with a GM product, and absolutely not w/ a Chysler product. Ford actually tried to discontinue the Taurus line, but there was a huge consumer uproar about, that I believe Ford has re-instated the model line.

My American buddy lived in Japan for a few years, he bought a Harley there and then when he moved home had it shipped back to the U.S. where it was held by authorities who because it "may not meet emissions requirements". He ended up getting the bike, but at considerable expense.

I owned a Towing business in the U.S., and in the course of business I ran into quite a few foreigners who bought used vehicles when they arrived in the States and then after driving them all over America sold them before going home.

Guaranteed, @ least 10 different expats in Japan told your American buddy to NOT ship that Harley back to the US, but he was just determined to learn a lesson whistling.gif

damn, i was so looking forward to the uniqueness of being the only one on the road with a right seated car, especially when you pull up to traffic lights and your shoulder to shoulder with the driver right next to you-it would be a nice conversation starter if nothing else, and also to passengers freezing their asses off in the winter and asking me to turn the heater on when it doesn't have onelaugh.png  people were gonna be like what kinda car doesn't have a heater? heard of cars not having AC, but no heater!?

Buy a used US Postal van, then take out the heater controls.