Thai Excise Department eyes 111 items of soft drink for tax

webfact

A great solution to this issue, would be to tax H2O, as this is the basis of all drinks sold in the country whether they be soft or alcoholic

That way, all people rich or poor, would be able to drink the same quality of product, and it would be an evenly distributed collection method.

You drink water only - you pay, you drink Cola - you pay, and if you drink booze - you pay.

Although it would never stop the homebrew drinkers, nor the cronic alcholics, the tax would be a fair tax as far as possible, and Thailand has to raise taxes, whether you like it or not.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great solution to this issue, would be to tax H2O, as this is the basis of all drinks sold in the country whether they be soft or alcoholic

That way, all people rich or poor, would be able to drink the same quality of product, and it would be an evenly distributed collection method.

You drink water only - you pay, you drink Cola - you pay, and if you drink booze - you pay.

Although it would never stop the homebrew drinkers, nor the cronic alcholics, the tax would be a fair tax as far as possible, and Thailand has to raise taxes, whether you like it or not.

Be quite!!!   Some one in the govt may read this and implement the Cake Monster recommendation to tax water to enhance tax revenue for betterment of the country.  Example of country betterment:  It should reduce water usage which in-turn will reduce the impact of the drought in some parts of the country.  Yeap, taxes are additive to bureaucrats/politicians and a slippery slope.wink.png

One thing about import, excise and VAT taxes which makes up the great majority of the country's tax revenue base with personal and corporate tax providing a minority amount, "everyone" gets hit equally with import/excise/VAT taxes which many would consider a regressive tax system that impacts the poor and middle class much more than the rich.....the rich probably prefer such a tax system versus a system which would focus more on personal income which would put them in the cross hairs.  And since most Thais don't pay income  tax (and it's hard for me to image the govt shifting towards such a tax base in a 3d world nation), import and excise taxes are just something the people don't understand or want to understand--many probably attribute price increases to simply the manufacturer/vendor raising prices or it just because foreign goods much cost more when in fact the price increase is simply due to increased taxes such as raising the mysterious excise tax.   And with AEC going into affect the end of 2015 which will make it harder for Thailand to tinker with/raise import taxes, the govt just may start tinkering with excise taxes even more.

Excise taxes use to be focused towards those products/services most people would consider sinful, unhealthy, etc., but now it applied to many products/services simply and solely to generate tax revenue.  Like with most slippery slopes, bureaucrats/politicians become addicted to spending and rarely consider spending cuts.  Implementing a new excise tax or increasing a current excise tax to enhance tax revenue is a low political risk and usually a low visibility way to do it---plus, as mentioned, most people think it's just the evil manufacturer increasing his prices.  

Checking freezers at mom'n pop stores? 

Wouldn't it be easier to pick up the taxtrail on import and/or production in Thailand?

Oh of course, they would like to receive a few baht on possibly missed taxes on already distributed soft-drinks.

Booze does have a high tax placed upon it, but it is obviously no where near enough.
If a higher price was placed upon the stuff, then it would be more restricted by cost, which would reduce the road deaths and accidents.
Maybe, I am a minority, but I value life a hell of a lot more than my next can of Leo.
I cannot remember if too many road deaths around the world have been attributed to a can of Lemonade, but for sure an awful lot have been linked to booze.

That would mean: Only the rich are allowed to drink quality things while the poor will get blind from the homebrew.
Great idea!

That is precisely what happens now with wine.

Be quite!!!   Some one in the govt may read this and implement the Cake Monster recommendation to tax water to enhance tax revenue for betterment of the country.  Example of country betterment:  It should reduce water usage which in-turn will reduce the impact of the drought in some parts of the country.  Yeap, taxes are additive to bureaucrats/politicians and a slippery slope.wink.png

One thing about import, excise and VAT taxes which makes up the great majority of the country's tax revenue base with personal and corporate tax providing a minority amount, "everyone" gets hit equally with import/excise/VAT taxes which many would consider a regressive tax system that impacts the poor and middle class much more than the rich.....the rich probably prefer such a tax system versus a system which would focus more on personal income which would put them in the cross hairs.  And since most Thais don't pay income  tax (and it's hard for me to image the govt shifting towards such a tax base in a 3d world nation), import and excise taxes are just something the people don't understand or want to understand--many probably attribute price increases to simply the manufacturer/vendor raising prices or it just because foreign goods much cost more when in fact the price increase is simply due to increased taxes such as raising the mysterious excise tax.   And with AEC going into affect the end of 2015 which will make it harder for Thailand to tinker with/raise import taxes, the govt just may start tinkering with excise taxes even more.

Excise taxes use to be focused towards those products/services most people would consider sinful, unhealthy, etc., but now it applied to many products/services simply and solely to generate tax revenue.  Like with most slippery slopes, bureaucrats/politicians become addicted to spending and rarely consider spending cuts.  Implementing a new excise tax or increasing a current excise tax to enhance tax revenue is a low political risk and usually a low visibility way to do it---plus, as mentioned, most people think it's just the evil manufacturer increasing his prices.  

I think Thailand has given up on income tax to change anything. They are focussing on excise, stamp duties and land taxes. Almost like a move to a consumption tax.

Booze does have a high tax placed upon it, but it is obviously no where near enough.
If a higher price was placed upon the stuff, then it would be more restricted by cost, which would reduce the road deaths and accidents.
Maybe, I am a minority, but I value life a hell of a lot more than my next can of Leo.
I cannot remember if too many road deaths around the world have been attributed to a can of Lemonade, but for sure an awful lot have been linked to booze.

I would argue that the best way to reduce the carnage on Thai roads is to strictly enforce existing laws.
When there is very little consequence when caught drunk driving it is never going to stop.
  • Like 1