THAI bid to stave off cash-flow crisis

webfact

Probably not relevant to the whole scale of things, but for my sins I always fly Thai Business Class, to keep up the mileage rewards ..... everytime I make a trip, I tell myself enough is enough, screw the miles and join another airline program. The Thai Business class cabins are full of old stewardesses in their 40's or even 50's, fluffing around with scorns on their faces, clearly not happy in their jobs. There are also too many of them .... I upgraded to First on a flight earlier this year, and there were 4 passengers in the cabin and 4 bloody stewardesses fluffing around. They kept dumping food on my table, which is ok in itself, but by the time you have eaten the nibbles, the fish cake and dip, something else in rich sauce, you are stuffed .... after the main course, I was told the plane was empty and would I like another main course .... she obviously couldn't deduce from the fact that I hadn't eaten the first offering, that I was unlikely to manage another plate of some unedible mush.

My point is that if the over staffing of aircraft with old cronies, in Business Class and First Class, not to mention the upgrades they always give to Thai cronies, is reciprocated in all departments across the company, it is not hard to establish where the problem lies. They need to establish a tough program of voluntary retirements and bring the company out of the Stone Age, whilst at the same time, stop spouting the rubbish how wonderful they are ...... I used to love flying Thai, but now I get agitated by it as it as old dinosaur in the skies.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love to know Tony Fernández's thoughts on this. Could he turn THAI around and make it profitable?

There would be a lot of shedding of Dead Wood----selling off / swapping unprofitable routes-sacking of the board--and price / value flights. With never any VIP freebies, massive promotion sale on all routes, global advertising this, and e. mail promotions to members.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Probably not relevant to the whole scale of things, but for my sins I always fly Thai Business Class, to keep up the mileage rewards ..... everytime I make a trip, I tell myself enough is enough, screw the miles and join another airline program. The Thai Business class cabins are full of old stewardesses in their 40's or even 50's, fluffing around with scorns on their faces, clearly not happy in their jobs. There are also too many of them .... I upgraded to First on a flight earlier this year, and there were 4 passengers in the cabin and 4 bloody stewardesses fluffing around. They kept dumping food on my table, which is ok in itself, but by the time you have eaten the nibbles, the fish cake and dip, something else in rich sauce, you are stuffed .... after the main course, I was told the plane was empty and would I like another main course .... she obviously couldn't deduce from the fact that I hadn't eaten the first offering, that I was unlikely to manage another plate of some unedible mush.

My point is that if the over staffing of aircraft with old cronies, in Business Class and First Class, not to mention the upgrades they always give to Thai cronies, is reciprocated in all departments across the company, it is not hard to establish where the problem lies. They need to establish a tough program of voluntary retirements and bring the company out of the Stone Age, whilst at the same time, stop spouting the rubbish how wonderful they are ...... I used to love flying Thai, but now I get agitated by it as it as old dinosaur in the skies.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thai Airways are not listening-------they remind me of a bungalow......no one upstairs.

Love to know Tony Fernández's thoughts on this. Could he turn THAI around and make it profitable?

I've actually had the pleasure of meeting him before. From what he said then about the airline business, I think he wouldn't want to touch a "full-service" airline with a 40 foot pole. Unless he's changed his mind laugh.png

anyways, AirAsia's profits are down significantly also, so he's going to be plenty busy right now.

basically... the airline business is tough. There used to be a joke about airlines being a business for billionaires who want to become millionaires, though there's been people who went the other direction (Tony Fernandes for one!).

• Like 1

The Thai Business class cabins are full of old stewardesses in their 40's or even 50's, fluffing around with scorns on their faces, clearly not happy in their jobs.

Oh yes! The first time I flew Thai business (never been in first) I was ... surprised. The various US airlines I flew business/first in, the staff are also in their 40s/50s, but they certainly act like they are happy to see you, however they may really feel rolleyes.gif My Thai business experiences, in contrast... I recall incidents like a scowling steward waving the hot towel in front of me irritably because I didn't take it off him fast enough.

Vast difference with e.g. Singapore airlines business (also never been in first with them), where the stewardesses basically could not stop flirting with me (though I understand policy has limited this ever since the incident where a stewardess got slapped by the wife who was flying with her husband; I think there was a lawsuit!)

On the labour front, Thai seems to suffer, yes an overall inertia though being, in its eye, the best and, simply, the national carrier.

In the 1980s, it was actually good - though never Singapore.

Trouble is those recruits from that time, now on high wages, are now of advanced age and with Thai operating in an honourable way toward them. I've seen it with Western airlines, particularly US ones, stuck with staff from previous expansion, gay young things back then, but now cynical to the core. Can't remember which airline, but it was actually embarrassing (never mind not energising) to be served by these people. I watched one old dear desperately tottering around on her high heels, and felt like offering help. Then I remembered she was supposed to be the one helping me in an emergency! Such is the nature of protective Western labour laws.

One of the reasons low cost works is, simply, that these airlines are new. One low cost is through a relatively low-wage workforce. They also offer a lot of short-term contracts, minimising commitment to staff and allowing labour flexibility in the face of seasonal peaks. And they have young, attractive staff, who might have the energy, not to mention strength, to open the emergency exit!

surely with all these highly educated Junta soldiers taking over the helm and all their years of business experience running global companies on a shoe string budget will now come into play Thai airways will soon be turning over a healthy profit not just drinking money from the bottomless pit of government funds,

Simple solution cut exec's pay from top down hire new CEO reduce management by 80% Those that remain increase work load Cut perks like free flights to elite to 0 Maybe offer flight at reduced cost but only coach. no business or first class.stop unprofitable routes. Offer competitive fares retrain staff. advertise under new leadership. Head man only gets paid when company starts showing profit. Would be place to start.

• Like 1

I only once flew business class with Thai Air about 6 or 7 years ago and the grumpy old stewardess told my Thai wife that she had better close the top button of her top as it was to revelling possibly a bit of jealousy was creeping in their so neither of us has flown with them again plenty more airlines out there to choose from without the staff attitude.

I'd imagine if plastic surgery was an employment perk, recruitment would go through the roof!

Yes the TG stewardesses' faces are most of the time gloomy. They should either be retrained or replaced.

Are you suggesting plastic surgery??giggle.gif

I'd imagine if plastic surgery was an employment perk, recruitment would go through the roof!

Yes the TG stewardesses' faces are most of the time gloomy. They should either be retrained or replaced.

I have only posted a few likes today and it says I have used my quota ??????? I asked what is the quota from TVF --no answer---anyone any comment on this ??? Sorry mate my reply explains why I could not "LIKE"

• Like 1

Simple solution cut exec's pay from top down hire new CEO reduce management by 80% Those that remain increase work load Cut perks like free flights to elite to 0 Maybe offer flight at reduced cost but only coach. no business or first class.stop unprofitable routes. Offer competitive fares retrain staff. advertise under new leadership. Head man only gets paid when company starts showing profit. Would be place to start.

Yes, really simple. Why don't you apply for the job?

Plastic surgery may be able to correct their facial expressions, but not their attitude. Lol

• Like 2

My advice would be to fully privatise the airline. There is no need to have a government owned airline. You can discuss whether the government should own companies in other areas such as utility providers, post, rail road and so on, but there is really no case to be made for owning an airline.

Thai Airways needs a complete revamp, which mainly includes letting go of all top management...including the Chairman & CEO. They desperately need new strategies, better service and most of all, competitive rates.

I remember searching for airline tickets to nearby and farway countries and trying to comprehend how in the world can Thai Airways over charge for flights that other major Airlines in the same category charge considerably less. These airlines consists of Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa, which typically are very expensive in its own right, Qatar and Eva to just name a few.

What's even more incredible, I remember my business trips to London on their old 747 (prior to changing to the Airbus) with one centred TV for the whole cabin. I'm an American thinking...with the huge population of UK citizens in Thailand and London being one of their main flying destinations, how could they use such an old airplane for this popular route. What made it even more unthinkable, was the cost of the airplane ticket compared to let's say Eva Air who tend to offer much lower rates with an uncomparably better service and your own personal TV...on a new airplane. As a matter of fact, you could fly Premium Economy on Eva for just a tad more than what Thai Airways charges to fly their antiquated airplane on Economy.

Eva Air is a good example for a Thai Airways revamp. They should study Eva Air's business model...how they can offer great service, great food, great comfort at very reasonable cost and stay afloat with profits.

What's happening to Thai Airways could have been seen by anybody years ago. I'm just surprised they still exist and held out so long.

• Like 2

Well, as a todo list, its a start.

Plastic surgery may be able to correct their facial expressions, but not their attitude. Lol

Along with some other airlines whose local nationals have a negative attitude towards service, they might be better off employing professional actresses (adding the safety training of course). Just a thought.

Well, as a todo list, its a start.

A to-do list with whose name on it, though?

Perhaps the Visa, Amex, Mastercard type of plastic surgery could help.

My advice would be to fully privatise the airline. There is no need to have a government owned airline. You can discuss whether the government should own companies in other areas such as utility providers, post, rail road and so on, but there is really no case to be made for owning an airline.

Thai State run enterprises are notoriously corrupt. Run for decades and pillaged by the ruling class.

The people in charge now like it that way. Privatization won't happen with this gang in charge.

• Like 1

I like to fly Thai, but can be upset with some prices. I just got a ticket BKK-CPH-BKK with Norwegian for 53.000 in their Premium Class where Thai ask 83.000 both direct flights.

But strange 20% higher price if you start from Europe !

In the peak season the price at Norwegian is higher. EVA AIR BKK-AMS-BKK is about 50.000 in de-luxe class.

I just got a business class BKK-HKG-BKK with Kenyan Airline for 445$ Thai asks 831$ and on economy 384$ (Show time in October)

The problem at Thai is probably that they keep the old sacked staff in administration with full salery but without any function. Who get free tickets ?

If they need some cash they could offer 5 x return ticket, prepaid. If business is with vacant seats offer them for a little fee extra - pure profit, Austrian Airlines do it.

Egypt Air to Europe in Business Class (Star Alliance) better prices but no alcohol and terrible lounge in Cairo.

Emirates on economy - stay away they, have like Norwegian, not room for the legs Business OK, but price too high..

Include psycho attitude re-hab cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Along with some other airlines whose local nationals have a negative attitude towards service, they might be better off employing professional actresses (adding the safety training of course). Just a thought.

Put a stop to all the Thai soap operas on TV, give them the job with the airline----wow. 1 stipulation no bitching at the customer, or slapping a female passenger if she is better looking--include in her job description.

• Like 1

Thai airways is run the "Thai" way with an almost blank cheque which is why its failing.

It seems that the satang has finally dropped.

Unfortunately it needs to be fully privatised to outsiders who actually can run an airline but it cant be as the Thai "partners" will still expect Thai business practises and perks.

To and from most counties where they are in competition Thai are expensive and don't offer a product of such high quality to justify it.

I always get a fine service at Thai even at economy but they are more bussy there. And TG stewardesses are young for me I am only 74 years young. Only one time in First Class, too much ,fine service. Allways very polite at check in, I like to keep my Gold Card but as Scandinavian I will loose it, as Norwegian seems to be better priced, but let´s see if they have too many delays.