Expat Graphic Design Salary

How much can an expat graphic designer earn in Bangkok per month full time? (Not art director or managerial position.)

How about contract graphic designers? Do employers go by hourly wages or monthly?

Thank you.

I'll let others give the figures --- be warned though, you won't like them.

I already sort of have an idea. I heard that Thai nationals earn from 9-20k depending on the industry and level of experience, but I'm a foreigner with a degree at a notable university within the art industry with work experience - both in the US. Won't this make a difference?

I did my research thoroughly on Bangkok graphic designers who did not recieve an oversees education and one thing I know is that many designers here lack knowledge in regards to integrating branding strategies with design elements. (Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone or come off as superior. Part of my research is also based on opinions I've heard from foreign professionals here.)

And my minimum wage has to be 45k per month at least in order to legally obtain a work permit.

So please be truthful and give it to me straight up. Will it be impossible for me to find work for an asking price of 45-70k as a foreign graphic designer in Thailand?

By the way, how much do foreign art directors/senior designers earn in Thailand?

Thank you.

So please be truthful and give it to me straight up. Will it be impossible for me to find work for an asking price of 45-70k as a foreign graphic designer in Thailand?

Thank you.

Virtually impossible. The Kingdom is full of skilled Thai designers -- the English content surrounding their designs is often atrocious, and the businesses for which they work are often poorly run, but the designs themselves can be excellent and creative. They make about 20,000 baht a month if they're good, and they often work six days a week with long hours.

i was working as a web designer in bk some years ago,

i think you are looking at about 20-45k ( b ).

depended on the industry, printing graphic designer get lest, tv, 3D and web people can earn more.

i am talking about the oversees educated people.

if you are an experienced foreigner (2years up) with thai language ability, you should asking for 45k or more. experienced 3-4years up people, can ask for more 0.

8-9k is for an inexperienced graphic designer, and his/her education background had little to not thing to do with art.

but the problem is, it is not much job offering for foreigner in this field.

anyway i don't know the job market nowaday in thailand.

hope that help.

i was working as a web designer in bk some years ago,

i think you are looking at about 20-45k ( b ).

depended on the industry, printing graphic designer get lest, tv, 3D and web people can earn more.

i am talking about the oversees educated people.

if you are an experienced foreigner (2years up) with thai language ability, you should asking for 45k or more. experienced 3-4years up people, can ask for more 0.

8-9k is for an inexperienced graphic designer, and his/her education background had little to not thing to do with art.

but the problem is, it is not much job offering for foreigner in this field.

anyway i don't know the job market nowaday in thailand.

hope that help.

I was recently offered a job as a contract designer (print) at an international design firm - they have an office in BKK. I understand that contract designers earn much more than a full timer. Do firm's here charge hourly or monthly with a freelancer?

I heard that Thai nationals earn from 9-20k depending on the industry and level of experience, but I'm a foreigner... Won't this make a difference?

Of course it will. You don't speak the language and need a WP to work. That means that there are not too many job openings for you. This is a huge difference.

And my minimum wage has to be 45k per month at least in order to legally obtain a work permit.

Incorrect. There is no minimum salary for work permit - the minimum is for an Extension of Stay. If you are OK with visa runs every 3 months you can have a legal work permit on a much lower salary.