Coming soon to Pattaya - Baby Metal....

properperson

If you pay money to go to this 'event', you're either Clinically Dead, or a Paying Member of Hamas ! ! ! !

Sick, Sicker, Sickest ! ! ! !

Bet you, these kids didn't bother with any Royal Conservatory . . . . . . . .

If you pay money to go to this 'event', you're either Clinically Dead, or a Paying Member of Hamas ! ! ! !

above clips coming up to 20,000,000 you tube views.

Maybe you have to be young to appreciate it ?

I never liked this kind of music when I was young (60s & 70s).

Sounds like those screamers in that other popular genre of Japanese youtubes.

Lets not go there - they were plucked out of the whole teen idol scene to jump around in front of a 'metal' band but Iron Maiden they most definitely aren't. It's a shame because I'd love to see Maiden before either they die or I do ;)

If I want to look at women in a rock band, I like my women to have, er, lady parts !

• Like 1

Sounds like those screamers in that other popular genre of Japanese youtubes.

Lets not go there - they were plucked out of the whole teen idol scene to jump around in front of a 'metal' band but Iron Maiden they most definitely aren't. It's a shame because I'd love to see Maiden before either they die or I do wink.png

If I want to look at women in a rock band, I like my women to have, er, lady parts !

great ! thanks for sharing.....

I think the OP is talking about being young now. Things change over time.

• Like 2

Non of the three girls knew what metal was before their management conceived this idea.

They are manufactured, they don't write the songs and they may as well be One Direction.

If you enjoy watching three girls dressed like they do basically singing karaoke - you are nuts.

Non of the three girls knew what metal was before their management conceived this idea.

They are manufactured, they don't write the songs and they may as well be One Direction.

If you enjoy watching three girls dressed like they do basically singing karaoke - you are nuts.

Totally agree and anyone who knows the history will realise that it's in the same vein as many of the K-Pop groups that have consumed kids from 8-28 all over Asia and beyond, but the people behind BM got the formula right. Japan is a surprisingly fertile spawning ground for metal bands - older TVers will recall Deep Purple's superb Made In Japan album and younger TVers will probably deny all knowledge of Arch Enemy and their enduring success in the Japanese market. Fans of the blistering guitar solo willing to endure Angela Gossow's unrelenting vocals will be richly rewarded when the band launches into Fields of Desolation in this vid. BM can only dream of this level of metal mastery IMO,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91SqLKGIN-A

(I dont know what they're putting in the water in Germany, Finland and Sweden, but it definitely has some kick, Love it or hate it, these folk genuinely embrace metal and have done so for decades - BM are a total fabrication. I could post a Cannibal Corpse vid but it would probably get me banned - best to stick with AE )

So many people here missing the point of this group and to mention Arch Enemy in the same thread as an alternative, seeing their lead guitarist Michael Amott actually played on the Babymetal album is ironic. The mastermind behind the group which features 7 or so rotating virtuoso Japanese session musicians, is a chap by the name of Kobayashi and yes he works for a talent agency called Amuse Inc. he loves metal, all the ones mentioned here and he wondered what it would be like if jpop was mixed with a full metal sound. Jpop called pretty much exclusively manufactured in Japan by talent agencies and big companies for entertainment, so he only had to go to Sakura Gaikuin talent school for his 'angels'. They openly admit it's a fabrication, a fantasy concept and that the girls had no idea what metal was beforehand. There's no secret or scandal in that. Do you remember a time when you had no idea too? Well the girls were 10 and 12 when starting, they are now 15 and 16 and put on the most rollicking, energetic and FUN live performances you will ever see. There's nothing more real than that, they were auditioned and chosen, just like any band choosing a new singer. They are protected by minders and travel with their parents and they quite obviously love what they do. I usually judge a musical act by the quality of the songs and BM have some of the most enjoyable music I've ever heard, played with genuine talent and songwriting and recorded with production skill. One of the lead guitarists Takayoshi Ohmura let slip on his twitter that the current band and the girls will be writing and coming up with future songs. The BM album is a compilation of 4 years of singles and EPs written mostly by outside songsters, so it will be interesting to see what a tight and practised unit of musicians can come up with.

Do they mime?

As with most jpop it starts small and depending on the act and the severity of the dance moves, they choose carefully what songs can be sung live and which can not. Due to the youth and size of the unit in 2010 and also the fanbase and size of the live performances, things were mimed. BM's lead singer Suzuka Nakamoto has been singing live for past 3 years with only some vocalisations mimed for live effect. Moa and Yui have a more difficult time dancing and singing at the same time and when they were younger, management couldn't expect children to do that given the fact they were moving so quickly and energetically the entire time. At 15 and with a substantial increase in fitness and stamina, they now do sing live, again with minor stuff playbacked. Each track has a fair amount of keyboard usage which also seems to be on playback during concerts. The core of the music and vocals is completely live though and anyone can see they do it well, if they took the time to check it out that is. If they took the time to put aside there preconceived notions about what constitutes "metal".

This isn't black metal or death metal, or even "true" metal, it's kawaii metal, it's its own thing and is a genuinely fun and well done pastiche on the history of the metal sound done in a way only Japanese can do.

(crude language deleted by local moderator)

So many people here missing the point of this group and to mention Arch Enemy in the same thread as an alternative, seeing their lead guitarist Michael Amott actually played on the Babymetal album is ironic. The mastermind behind the group which features 7 or so rotating virtuoso Japanese session musicians, is a chap by the name of Kobayashi and yes he works for a talent agency called Amuse Inc. he loves metal, all the ones mentioned here and he wondered what it would be like if jpop was mixed with a full metal sound. Jpop called pretty much exclusively manufactured in Japan by talent agencies and big companies for entertainment, so he only had to go to Sakura Gaikuin talent school for his 'angels'. They openly admit it's a fabrication, a fantasy concept and that the girls had no idea what metal was beforehand. There's no secret or scandal in that. Do you remember a time when you had no idea too? Well the girls were 10 and 12 when starting, they are now 15 and 16 and put on the most rollicking, energetic and FUN live performances you will ever see. There's nothing more real than that, they were auditioned and chosen, just like any band choosing a new singer. They are protected by minders and travel with their parents and they quite obviously love what they do. I usually judge a musical act by the quality of the songs and BM have some of the most enjoyable music I've ever heard, played with genuine talent and songwriting and recorded with production skill. One of the lead guitarists Takayoshi Ohmura let slip on his twitter that the current band and the girls will be writing and coming up with future songs. The BM album is a compilation of 4 years of singles and EPs written mostly by outside songsters, so it will be interesting to see what a tight and practised unit of musicians can come up with.

Do they mime?

As with most jpop it starts small and depending on the act and the severity of the dance moves, they choose carefully what songs can be sung live and which can not. Due to the youth and size of the unit in 2010 and also the fanbase and size of the live performances, things were mimed. BM's lead singer Suzuka Nakamoto has been singing live for past 3 years with only some vocalisations mimed for live effect. Moa and Yui have a more difficult time dancing and singing at the same time and when they were younger, management couldn't expect children to do that given the fact they were moving so quickly and energetically the entire time. At 15 and with a substantial increase in fitness and stamina, they now do sing live, again with minor stuff playbacked. Each track has a fair amount of keyboard usage which also seems to be on playback during concerts. The core of the music and vocals is completely live though and anyone can see they do it well, if they took the time to check it out that is. If they took the time to put aside there preconceived notions about what constitutes "metal".

This isn't black metal or death metal, or even "true" metal, it's kawaii metal, it's its own thing and is a genuinely fun and well done pastiche on the history of the metal sound done in a way only Japanese can do.

(crude language deleted by local moderator)

Great post.....

Times change and music moves on...

I remember playing my very first LP - "Brain Salad Surgery" - to which my old man piped up "bleedin rubbish - why can't you listen to somat decent like Glen Miller"....

Being 60s/70s is young?

Being 60s/70s is young?

Well, I suppose it would be if I was 90. If I was 90, I'd have likely seen Glenn Miller live. While I'd like to be hip & down with the kids, I'm closer to hip replacement and down in the doldrums.

So when are they coming to Pattaya ?

Never I would think, it's a wind up. Their next two concerts are in Japan then they are back to the UK at the O2 in Brixton on Nov 8th. I think they are the most exciting band around at the moment. Who cares if they are 'manufactured', it's a silly moan as all bands are to some extent. The thing is it works, the band behind them are very good and the music catchy, dance routines are great. I hate heavy metal but love BM, it's fun!

There is a Thai fan club and a cover band in Bkk, who unfortunately called themselves Atomic Bomber, probably not aware of ww2 or the fact that Suzaka the lead singer is from Nagasaki!

None of them are 18, Yui and Moa are 15, Su is 16.

what is there not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEuehBgznKU

A couple of things I don't like about them are the mime band baby bones they have played with at concerts, bit of a cheek that and the fact they don't give autographs or no longer do meet and greet events like they have in Singapore, they have been there three times.

Edited by jacky54