Living In Hua Hin

pepi1

Leaving all the legal issues to one side, I, together with family am planning to buy a house in or around the area. Due to the boom in developments, has this caused problems with the water supply, sewerage and electricity etc. Its all very well buying a nice home but has the introstucture kept up with the pace of building? Really appreciate your views . Thanks

:o

Leaving all the legal issues to one side, I, together with family am planning to buy a house in or around the area. Due to the boom in developments, has this caused problems with the water supply, sewerage and electricity etc. Its all very well buying a nice home but has the introstucture kept up with the pace of building? Really appreciate your views . Thanks

i have just returned, last night actually, 06-06-07 and see no problems with utility connections, in fact they are now installing underground wireing instead of overhead cables. My friend owns siam-property in hua-hin, he's british and will advise on any developments being built. his name is Glen and can be reached at the following:

162/5 Naresdamri road

Hua hin 77110

Thailand

+6632532829

[email protected]

Thank you Peely. Any more opinions folks? I understand from the papers that the big problem is the water supply

Flooding in the wet season is another problem. Especially in the low lying areas at the foot of the hills.

Thank you Peely. Any more opinions folks? I understand from the papers that the big problem is the water supply

We have been in our new house since February and have had few, if any problems. Have never had a power cut, apart during a short time during a thunderstorm. Have not had a problem with our water supply, it does go off at night but provding you have a water tank it should not be a problem.

My only concern is the increased, apparantly unregulated, traffic, a popular local English guy was killed by a hit and run driver last weekend.

:o It may be in cha am, i was not overly impressed there to say how expensive the property is there. Hua hin is definitely my favourite place so far. i shall be returning in september, and any news in the mean time i shall keep you up to date with. Have you sorted bank accounts yet? I can also arrange for Glen to take you around the various villages to look at the different styles of houses and locations.

You won't have a water problem if you install a sufficiently-large water tank. I have lived in the same house in HH for 14 years and seldom get cut off from municipal water. I have two water tanks for that eventuality.

Be prepared for frequent power outages caused by anything from a falling tree to a heavy rainstorm.

What I haven't seen addressed on this forum is the issue of zoning....or should I say, the total lack thereof. Most people who buy homes in real estate developments think they are insulated from any zoning problems. Not true.

There is a project going up at the moment with villas costing from 15 to 20 million baht. It is smack up against the railroad tracks and when the owners go to bed in their new home for the first time they are going to think a train is coming right through the bedroom around 2 am.

Another development just a couple of km south of Khao Takiab is almost finished with quite a few houses in it, at or near completion. What the prospective owners likely aren't aware of is that there is a massive "baan uathorn" going up right in front of them. For the uninitiated, that's government housing. This one is a 500 room condominium and will be a slum in 5 years.

Owners in the real estate compound who thought they had a view towards the sea will instead be looking at 500 pairs of knickers hanging out to dry every day. Anyone planning to buy a home in a real estate development had better take a good look at the land around the development and make sure there are no railroad tracks and no developable land between them and their desired view.

RAMPAGE-------Thanks for info. Same in London, you think you have good location,then up goes the affordable housing! Junk cars, rubbish etc . Not all people bad but most dont give a toss about anybody else. Any other areas around Huahin to avoid? Been to Cha- Am once, thought it was the pits. Maybe it has changed in the last 2 years Thanks for any more views.

RAMPAGE-------Thanks for info. Same in London, you think you have good location,then up goes the affordable housing! Junk cars, rubbish etc . Not all people bad but most dont give a toss about anybody else. Any other areas around Huahin to avoid? Been to Cha- Am once, thought it was the pits. Maybe it has changed in the last 2 years Thanks for any more views.

In terms of locations, yes, Hua Hin is still preferable to Cha-am (now I will have all Cha-am residents angry at me). Most people like to dine out and end up driving into Hua Hin to do so. Also, with Market Village now open, its become the centre for all shopping in the area so Hua Hin is probably your best choice.

As for areas to avoid, I would avoid any house or housing project near a school or a temple. The former causes traffic problems and the latter noise problems. Khao Takiab has become very popular in recent years and now has many more restaurant choices for those who don't want to drive into HH for a meal.

Pray you do need to call upon the police in Hua Hin in an emergency! They are great at closing the roads off when Royalty pay a visit but naff at anything else involving 'proper' police work! In addition they are even more corrupt and bent than other police in thailand IMHO. Response time is dire, after 2000 hrs abysmal!

Pray you do need to call upon the police in Hua Hin in an emergency! They are great at closing the roads off when Royalty pay a visit but naff at anything else involving 'proper' police work! In addition they are even more corrupt and bent than other police in thailand IMHO. Response time is dire, after 2000 hrs abysmal!

You raise a legitimate issue for farangs living in HH (or anywhere in Thailand for that matter). How does one access police assistance when one needs it? First of all, the farang (or someone else who is senior in his/her household) must, over time, establish a relationship with the closest police station or substation.

I have done this over the years and I can assure you that it pays dividends. By way of example, a houseful of teenagers across the soi from me were recently carousing and a noisy fight broke out between three boys which spilled into the street right at my front door.

A word to the Khao Takiab police substation and (I kid you not) in less than 5 minutes, not one, but an entire pickup truck full of police was at my front door. Within less than 30 seconds you could hear a pin drop in my soi....just the way I like it when I'm trying to sleep!

How does one ensure that kind of service? First thing the following morning I sent my major domo round to the substation with a bottle of whisky and a word of thanks for the prompt service. I have no doubt whatsoever that the next time I am in need of their attention I shall experience the same level of service. TIT...this is Thailand, and one must adjust one's method of doing things accordingly if one wants to live in peace and harmony at all times.

• 2 weeks later...

How does one ensure that kind of service? First thing the following morning I sent my major domo round to the substation with a bottle of whisky and a word of thanks for the prompt service. I have no doubt whatsoever that the next time I am in need of their attention I shall experience the same level of service. TIT...this is Thailand, and one must adjust one's method of doing things accordingly if one wants to live in peace and harmony at all times.

Now there is learning to adapt to your surroundings.

Used to spend a lot of time in Honduras with a lady whose house was 100 yards from a police station, and other than leering looks, they ignored her. I started talking with the cops, and on a holiday sent some beer over. After that she was always shown every courtesy. Never had to call because of trouble, but sure the response would have been good.

Now there is learning to adapt to your surroundings.

Used to spend a lot of time in Honduras with a lady whose house was 100 yards from a police station, and other than leering looks, they ignored her. I started talking with the cops, and on a holiday sent some beer over. After that she was always shown every courtesy. Never had to call because of trouble, but sure the response would have been good.

Friends moved into a small French village 15 years ago. They went to see the mayor to intro themsleves and brought along a bottle of Canadian Club. They've never had a problem with getting a permit or anything else.

When you are the new kid on the block its up to you to make the moves. The cops will attend to you once they know who you are and that you are a decent guy who understands their wavelength.

You know, buy the firemen's calandar, contribute to the police games fund etc. In Thailand a nice bottle or a few bottles of cold beer go a long way. Make friends. :o

• 6 months later...

One major problem is raping off of the land for housing developments, no land delevopment regulations to speak of, too many people wanting to live in Hau Hin. Hate to see this place start to go to hel_l like Pattaya.

Oh well can't stop so called progress, just hate to see the rapid mass growth explosion, all for quick get rich people.

Edited by Pundi64

• 2 weeks later...

You won't have a water problem if you install a sufficiently-large water tank. I have lived in the same house in HH for 14 years and seldom get cut off from municipal water. I have two water tanks for that eventuality.

Be prepared for frequent power outages caused by anything from a falling tree to a heavy rainstorm.

What I haven't seen addressed on this forum is the issue of zoning....or should I say, the total lack thereof. Most people who buy homes in real estate developments think they are insulated from any zoning problems. Not true.

There is a project going up at the moment with villas costing from 15 to 20 million baht. It is smack up against the railroad tracks and when the owners go to bed in their new home for the first time they are going to think a train is coming right through the bedroom around 2 am.

Another development just a couple of km south of Khao Takiab is almost finished with quite a few houses in it, at or near completion. What the prospective owners likely aren't aware of is that there is a massive "baan uathorn" going up right in front of them. For the uninitiated, that's government housing. This one is a 500 room condominium and will be a slum in 5 years.

Owners in the real estate compound who thought they had a view towards the sea will instead be looking at 500 pairs of knickers hanging out to dry every day. Anyone planning to buy a home in a real estate development had better take a good look at the land around the development and make sure there are no railroad tracks and no developable land between them and their desired view.

Are you saying that only females will be living in these apartment's?

Are you also saying that it will be one female per room?

Are you also saying that they have 2 pairs of knicks one to wear and one to wash?

Hua Hinwas ok a fvew years back but the beach water wasn't much better than Pattaya even then

nice white sand though but i don't see the point of living by the sea if you can't go swimming

and i definately wouldn't go in thsea here

either the pollution or the jellyfish will get you.

prices have also gone through the roof over the last few years

RAMPAGE,

I AM LOOKING AT A PROPERTY IN KHAO TAO NEAR THE LAKE. IS THAT THE AREA YOU REFER TO WHEN YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE "BAAN UATHORN"... I HOPE NOT!

THANKS....

Edited by lawnmuller

• 1 month later...

Just moved to Hua Hin 3 weeks ago. Going to stay about a year to start with. Been coming to Thailand for about 10 years now, just retired at 50 and thought that I would take a year out and experience Thailand as a long stayer. See if it suits me before deciding to make the big plunge.

Rented a nice house with a sea view (18,000 Bht a month) got my telephone sorted out, motorbike (and Good helmet) and busy searching all around the area to find all those special places most expats keep secret. Food is important to me as I have an allergy to shellfish, so I have to be carefull when eating out. Tesco in Hua Hin isn't really anything special, still, I can always continue to shop in Bangkok, I'm there every ten days or so anyway.

I really like Hua Hin, been here three times before as a tourist, thought it would make a good base to spend my year. Hope to meet some Hua Hin members at some time. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to ask about the town as I get more settled. No problems so far though.

i have just returned, last night actually, 06-06-07 and see no problems with utility connections, in fact they are now installing underground wireing instead of overhead cables. My friend owns siam-property in hua-hin, he's british and will advise on any developments being built. his name is Glen and can be reached at the following:

162/5 Naresdamri road

Hua hin 77110

Thailand

+6632532829

[email protected]

That's really interesting that you have just returned in June this year and it is only now April. Does "Back to the Future" Deloreans still exist in Hua Hin ? Further, would appreciate any help you can give into next months lottery numbers.

i have just returned, last night actually, 06-06-06 and see no problems with utility connections, in fact they are now installing underground wireing instead of overhead cables. My friend owns siam-property in hua-hin, he's british and will advise on any developments being built. his name is Glen and can be reached at the following:

162/5 Naresdamri road

Hua hin 77110

Thailand

+6632532829

[email protected]

That's really interesting that you have just returned in June this year and it is only now April. Does "Back to the Future" Deloreans still exist in Hua Hin ? Further, would appreciate any help you can give into next months lottery numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, this is a great forum to read I have learnt so much! Thanks

I would like to ask you all if you have had problems with the local postal service (Hua Hin) post not being delivered, lost post, opened, etc, and is there a recommendable "tactic" to use!!

Thanks in anticipation!! :o

i had 6 months supply of statin tablets go missing after being posted from the uk.

cant say if it was the uk post or the thai post.

i went down to the post office in hua hin and asked after it and the postmaster there took me into the sorting office and we looked through all the stuff that hasnt been delivered due to unreadable addresses , returns etc.

they were very helpful but i didnt find my parcel.

Thanks Thaiexile for your reply,

The Hua Hin Post Office in our little farang neighbourhood is know for having post lost, stolen, missing, open ??? Not sure is there a better way to recieve post from overseas here. When we lived in bangkok, the postal service was fine, now

:o ??

In the 11 months I lived in a moobahn near Kao Takiab, I did not have trouble having my mail delivered, but there was very little of it. My neighbors did have problems getting their mail from the States or Australia, and they rented post boxes downtown. I think the national postal service has very few boxes for rent, but some commercial place has them for rental.

In the 11 months I lived in a moobahn near Kao Takiab, I did not have trouble having my mail delivered, but there was very little of it. My neighbors did have problems getting their mail from the States or Australia, and they rented post boxes downtown. I think the national postal service has very few boxes for rent, but some commercial place has them for rental.

One safe way is to arrange to send anything important from overseas via your employer or a company you know. I have no trouble receiving any post that has been 'franked' but it would appear that any mail with a stamp on it, addressed to a Thai lady, is intercepted on the assumption that it contains money!

I have a PO box & have had numerous items go missing, both to my home & to my PO box. Birthday cards & Christmas cards, especially, go missing. Maybe they think there's money inside. Even registered items have gone missing. It's something you have to be aware of. Don't get valuable or important things sent through the post. :o

On the sending end of things: I had to send a signed document to my UK bank, I gave the girl 42 baht, she marked that on the envelope and gave it to a guy at a desk.

Of course it never arrived and I had to repeat the whole exercise but this time I made sure a stamp was put on the envelope so nobody got a free bowl of noodle soup.

One big problem for expats is that if you're after an apartment building they tend to be full up and overpriced for single falangs. For a small shoebox room in an apartment bock its about 5,000 baht if you're lucky.

Guesthouses galore, Hotels galore but long term rental can be tricky to find.

Just moved to Hua Hin 3 weeks ago. Going to stay about a year to start with. Been coming to Thailand for about 10 years now, just retired at 50 and thought that I would take a year out and experience Thailand as a long stayer. See if it suits me before deciding to make the big plunge.

Rented a nice house with a sea view (18,000 Bht a month) got my telephone sorted out, motorbike (and Good helmet) and busy searching all around the area to find all those special places most expats keep secret. Food is important to me as I have an allergy to shellfish, so I have to be carefull when eating out. Tesco in Hua Hin isn't really anything special, still, I can always continue to shop in Bangkok, I'm there every ten days or so anyway.

I really like Hua Hin, been here three times before as a tourist, thought it would make a good base to spend my year. Hope to meet some Hua Hin members at some time. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to ask about the town as I get more settled. No problems so far though.

Been here 14 years...happy to help with any info...I live in Khao Takiab...send a message if you'd like to contact.