Copying Large # Of Files

paulfr

Does anyone know how, when copying a large number of files, to keep the system from stopping when it encounters an error ? This is a huge nuisance as one has to determine how much it did and what remaining files need to be copied.

I can do this okay in a DOS window with Xcopy using the /c switch which instructs to keep copying on an error. But I'd ike to do it in Windows File Mgr.

There must be an environment switch to set somewhere.

Anyone know or have another solution to this problem ?

Thanks

Insync works great - faster too! http://www.dillobits.com/products.html. I can never download from that site though, - try tucows (time limited demo, not freeware).

Peter

Does anyone know how, when copying a large number of files, to keep the system from stopping when it encounters an error ? This is a huge nuisance as one has to determine how much it did and what remaining files need to be copied.

I can do this okay in a DOS window with Xcopy using the /c switch which instructs to keep copying on an error. But I'd ike to do it in Windows File Mgr.

Thanks

Insync works great - faster too! http://www.dillobits.com/products.html. I can never download from that site though, - try tucows (time limited demo, not freeware).

Peter

Thanks

Well you could try windows backup it skips files on error -- put the files to a .bkf file and restore in the new location from that, the log will tell you the failures and you can do those later manually

What's causing the errors? .. Could be a hardware problem that you shouldn't be ignoring.

I agree about the errors. It is like a guessing game.

Also more info' on exactly what file types are being copied and hopefully not moved! Also from and to where.

I have had no problems in copying files unless they are still in use.

I have had problems in deleting files if they are in use or data files and indexes locked by Paradox. Photoshop has similar problems with locking files.

If xcopy works why not stick to it, put the command in a batch file and "pipe it" (>output.txt) to an output text file. On completion edit/type the output.txt results file?

I use "heatsoft" advanced directory comparison and synchronization program, it costs, but there is a free version that makes you press a button before you start. In windows the error is the last file on the list. If you delete this file you can start to copy again, but is a pain, if there is more than one error.