CRV or Captiva

laban

Well looks like I'm "flat wave". I'm not familiar with the term but it doesn't sound good! I highly recommend the CRV. I just took delivery of our new CRV last week and prior to owning this one have had two others first in 1999 then the second in 2007. It may not be what everyone is looking for but it is the biggest selling small SUV in the US. Are all those buyers wrong? Another model you might want to look at is the Subaru XV, I think the model is called. No mater what model you choose ask about getting free insurance. We got it with the CRV as well as many other "freebies".

A patient who is brain dead will have a "flat" EEG, as brain waves will be absent. Not sure if the term applies to you, but your are batting zero for three, so as far as car/vehicles are concerned its looking good.

What is (or is not) popular in the US has little to no relevance to Thailand. And most of the buyers of CVRs in the US are women (or for women) with a pack of kids who head off to soccer or fill it with groceries on Saturday mornings, not really what I would term as "knowledgeable" car buyers. And they don't have to deal with many of the issues that car owners/drivers deal with in Thailand -- I expect that most, if they lived in Thailand, would not buy a CRV, but more likely a Pajero or a Fortuner, which are the two most popular SUVs in Thailand, far and away more popular than the CRV. The CRV is a Honda, so it is reliable, and it has high rating on safety, and that's it -- full stop. For every other characteristic -- styling, performance, handling, and cost of ownership -- it gets average to below average marks. It is built on a car platform, which for driving comfort is a plus, but it has no diesel option, which is a minus. And, as the other owner of a CRV said, its "utilitarian" (actually, the term used was "practical") -- they totally left the "sporty" out of SUV when they built the CRV. Its your money and your choice, but it is not, I think, the vehicle for someone looking for something more than a "utilitarian" vehicle -- enjoy your ride wai2.gif .

I think we can safely put you down as not recommending the CRV.

Well looks like I'm "flat wave". I'm not familiar with the term but it doesn't sound good! I highly recommend the CRV. I just took delivery of our new CRV last week and prior to owning this one have had two others first in 1999 then the second in 2007. It may not be what everyone is looking for but it is the biggest selling small SUV in the US. Are all those buyers wrong? Another model you might want to look at is the Subaru XV, I think the model is called. No mater what model you choose ask about getting free insurance. We got it with the CRV as well as many other "freebies".

A patient who is brain dead will have a "flat" EEG, as brain waves will be absent. Not sure if the term applies to you, but your are batting zero for three, so as far as car/vehicles are concerned its looking good.

What is (or is not) popular in the US has little to no relevance to Thailand. And most of the buyers of CVRs in the US are women (or for women) with a pack of kids who head off to soccer or fill it with groceries on Saturday mornings, not really what I would term as "knowledgeable" car buyers. And they don't have to deal with many of the issues that car owners/drivers deal with in Thailand -- I expect that most, if they lived in Thailand, would not buy a CRV, but more likely a Pajero or a Fortuner, which are the two most popular SUVs in Thailand, far and away more popular than the CRV. The CRV is a Honda, so it is reliable, and it has high rating on safety, and that's it -- full stop. For every other characteristic -- styling, performance, handling, and cost of ownership -- it gets average to below average marks. It is built on a car platform, which for driving comfort is a plus, but it has no diesel option, which is a minus. And, as the other owner of a CRV said, its "utilitarian" (actually, the term used was "practical") -- they totally left the "sporty" out of SUV when they built the CRV. Its your money and your choice, but it is not, I think, the vehicle for someone looking for something more than a "utilitarian" vehicle -- enjoy your ride wai2.gif .

Au contraire, mon frère. If someone was looking for a vehicle to haul trash or to put his pack of hunting dogs (spaniels?) in the back for a trek down to the river, and he didn't want a 10 year old Toyota truck, I would certainly recommend to him a 10 year old CRV -- probably still reliable after all of those years and ideal for the intended use -- strictly "utilitarian". If it was any newer than that, I might worry that the muddy dogs might mar the interior, but not too muchtongue.png .

I bought a CRV last year and am happy with it. Lacks a little oomph but fine for Bangkok and the occasional trip. Originally fancied a Pajero but drove one and hated the heavy steering.

Friend had a diesel Captiva and was happy with that too. He just changed to a CX5, which is getting generally good reviews but he had a long, long, long wait.

I bought the entry level option(1.1m) no 4WD ( don't need it) and basic console. For me the pricing and future costs of these weren't good value. I do mean to install my own system at some point but didn't get round to it yet... ☺️

Haven't noticed especially high running or maintenance costs. E80 compatible, so I use that when available.

I needed the extra space which is why I went for an SUV and CRV is fine for my needs but truck based SUVs are bigger if that is a major priority for you.

• Like 1