CRV or Captiva

laban

Looking at getting new car and fancy an SUV. I really like the new look of the CRV and have driven a Captiva not so long ago. I used to have a CRV about 8 years ago and it was very noisy, hope the 2014 model isn't.

I would also like a built in GPS screen.

Anyone experience with either model, I would be interested to hear.

I have the previous model CRV 2012, which I find to be an excellent and comfortable car, I intend to change it next year for the new model, which I really like. The last two models of CRVs's are far better than some of the older models, run smoothly and quietly. I'm no car expert other than I drive a lot of miles, and I like my CRV. I have all the extras like the GPS screen etc

I have the previous model CRV 2012, which I find to be an excellent and comfortable car, I intend to change it next year for the new model, which I really like. The last two models of CRVs's are far better than some of the older models, run smoothly and quietly. I'm no car expert other than I drive a lot of miles, and I like my CRV. I have all the extras like the GPS screen etc

You really didn't need to say "I'm no car expert". That is totally obvious from the first part of your post.

You really didn't need to say "I'm no car expert". That is totally obvious from the first part of your post.

Good one, Guess some peoples eye sight is not what it used to be.......... but to be fair he drives a lot so always inside, has no idea what the outside looks like rolleyes.gif

Edited by ignis

If you have narrowed your choice down to these two pieces of [insert expletive of your choice], I respectfully suggest that you go back and start again. As between the two, the CRV is by far the better choice, but that is only because the Captiva is so bad, not because the CRV is good. Almost every car, truck and SUV has a touch screen and GPS system as standard equipment or as an option. Read the reviews -- most rate the CVR as under powered, mushy/slushy to drive, and very expensive to own/operate -- only a person that is "flat wave" would be happy with a CRV. If you don't like the truck platform of the Pajero Sport, and certainly many will not, as it drives more like a truck, better opt for a sedan -- you can get the Camry, Accord or Teana (my favorite), which are all much better vehicles than the CVR, for about the same money.

Good one, Guess some peoples eye sight is not what it used to be.......... but to be fair he drives a lot so always inside, has no idea what the outside looks like rolleyes.gif

Personally i couldnt give a shit really, for me its a practical car. Ive done the flashier cars in the past. I'm perfectly happy with it. A salon or a sports car is of no use to me. OP asked a question, give him some suggestions as opposed to being bell end.

• Like 1

OK to answer the OP, but it is my view only........ Deawoo Winstorm with a GM Captiva badged globally since 2011.. way over priced......... CRV well its a Honda, looks like a smaller car that they took to the air pump, to blow it up to present size.. guess OK inside even if expensive to own and run.

Don't get me wrong I do like the looks of the Captiva, but would never buy one new... the 2.4 LTZ AWD cost just about 1.6 million new, buy one less than 2 years old 900 - 950,000 baht, that is a huge loss.

Don't get me wrong I do like the looks of the Captiva, but would never buy one new... the 2.4 LTZ AWD cost just about 1.6 million new, buy one less than 2 years old 900 - 950,000 baht, that is a huge loss.

Well it depends on how long the OP is going to keep the vehicle. I had my Cefiro for 18 years before I sold it.

Well looks like I'm "flat wave". I'm not familiar with the term but it doesn't sound good! I highly recommend the CRV. I just took delivery of our new CRV last week and prior to owning this one have had two others first in 1999 then the second in 2007. It may not be what everyone is looking for but it is the biggest selling small SUV in the US. Are all those buyers wrong? Another model you might want to look at is the Subaru XV, I think the model is called. No mater what model you choose ask about getting free insurance. We got it with the CRV as well as many other "freebies".

Personally I favour Nissan and my old Cefiro now 15 years old is still going strong with its new owner. The Nilsson dealer said the cefiro was the best car that was built and persuaded me not to buy a Teana as a replacement so bought a german overpriced import. Love the looks of the the Teanna though. Cheers. Nissan fan.

Personally I favour Nissan and my old Cefiro now 15 years old is still going strong with its new owner. The Nilsson dealer said the cefiro was the best car that was built and persuaded me not to buy a Teana as a replacement so bought a german overpriced import. Love the looks of the the Teanna though. Cheers. Nissan fan.

Well looks like I'm "flat wave". I'm not familiar with the term but it doesn't sound good! I highly recommend the CRV. I just took delivery of our new CRV last week and prior to owning this one have had two others first in 1999 then the second in 2007. It may not be what everyone is looking for but it is the biggest selling small SUV in the US. Are all those buyers wrong? Another model you might want to look at is the Subaru XV, I think the model is called. No mater what model you choose ask about getting free insurance. We got it with the CRV as well as many other "freebies".

A patient who is brain dead will have a "flat" EEG, as brain waves will be absent. Not sure if the term applies to you, but your are batting zero for three, so as far as car/vehicles are concerned its looking good.

What is (or is not) popular in the US has little to no relevance to Thailand. And most of the buyers of CVRs in the US are women (or for women) with a pack of kids who head off to soccer or fill it with groceries on Saturday mornings, not really what I would term as "knowledgeable" car buyers. And they don't have to deal with many of the issues that car owners/drivers deal with in Thailand -- I expect that most, if they lived in Thailand, would not buy a CRV, but more likely a Pajero or a Fortuner, which are the two most popular SUVs in Thailand, far and away more popular than the CRV. The CRV is a Honda, so it is reliable, and it has high rating on safety, and that's it -- full stop. For every other characteristic -- styling, performance, handling, and cost of ownership -- it gets average to below average marks. It is built on a car platform, which for driving comfort is a plus, but it has no diesel option, which is a minus. And, as the other owner of a CRV said, its "utilitarian" (actually, the term used was "practical") -- they totally left the "sporty" out of SUV when they built the CRV. Its your money and your choice, but it is not, I think, the vehicle for someone looking for something more than a "utilitarian" vehicle -- enjoy your ride wai2.gif .

Edited by Thailaw

Many thanks to all for the replies. My budget does not stretch to the Mazda cx5 which is a bit more than the CRV or the Captiva. Alternatively I could keep go for a sedan. I currently have a Honda Civic which is good, fast and very quiet. I have driven the new model and does not feel or look as good as my 2012 model. The other sedan in the same class I like is the Chevy Cruze but have never driven one. I am not so bothered about resale value as my company funds the purchase.

Beg to differ on No Clonker Diesel Engine.Most Thias i know with a CRV,buy them for that reason.When they go to Honda Service there are no smelly old Trucks there,and they enjoy the reception area free of poor ferangs moaning about Cost.

Total nonsense. Having a diesel option, does not mean that you have to buy the diesel if you prefer the petrol engine. Even BMW and Mercedes offer diesel options, and I doubt that their waiting rooms are filled with farang moaning about cost. Having a bad day?

Many thanks to all for the replies. My budget does not stretch to the Mazda cx5 which is a bit more than the CRV or the Captiva. Alternatively I could keep go for a sedan. I currently have a Honda Civic which is good, fast and very quiet. I have driven the new model and does not feel or look as good as my 2012 model. The other sedan in the same class I like is the Chevy Cruze but have never driven one. I am not so bothered about resale value as my company funds the purchase.

Don't know where you get your pricing but the Honda CRV and Mazda CX5 are priced similar. The CX5 is a much more fun to drive car as I have driven both but decided to buy a Mazda M3 as I wanted something more sporty.

ALL New Mazda CX-5 2.0 C 1,200,000 Baht 2.0 S 1,300,000 Baht 2.5 S 1,440,000 Baht XDL 1,670,000 Baht

The All-new Honda CR-V comes complete with a strong and premium design, advanced technologies and an extensive range of standard safety features, while providing sedan-like driving comfort. This will set a new standard for the SUV.

• 2.0 S

1,168,000 Baht

• 2.0 E

1,278,000 Baht

• 2.4 EL 2WD

1,448,000 Baht

• 2.4 EL

1,543,000 Baht

Remark:

Specific for White Orchid Pearl color additional cost 12,000 Baht

Specific for Crystal Black Pearl color additional cost 8,000 Baht

If this is a company car or a company financed car and you can turn it over every two years, then your risk no matter what car you choose is very minimal. In that case, if you want a SUV, I would go for the Captiva. It looks quite good, and apart from extra trips back to the dealer for repairs that should be covered under the warranty, you should get 2 years of enjoyable "ownership" and driving.

I enjoy and so do a Few other posters here my controversial comments . { very few biggrin.png }.. Yes BMW /Benz do have clonkers but the Customers are not bothered about cost, and they soon go back to Benzine.Ive rarely seen a Ferang with a Benz/BM at the service dept in my company car days.Its up to You. The Ferangs you meet in Honda never seem to bitch either,bit like Volvo owners. Old n Happy.thumbsup.gif .

If you can pay 1.350 million get a Subaru AWD SUV....the best 100% Japanese in that price range. Very soon will be the new Hunday SUV from Indonesia under 1 mill....Already the new 1.8 6 sp AT very beautiful Elantra for 750,000 is from Indonesia.....A lot more car than Civic or Corolla for the same money. Year 2015 will bring a lot of new choices. Captiva had a big recall in the US and, depreciation here is faster than any Japan/Thai made.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

I enjoy and so do a Few other posters here my controversial comments . { very few biggrin.png }.. Yes BMW /Benz do have clonkers but the Customers are not bothered about cost, and they soon go back to Benzine.Ive rarely seen a Ferang with a Benz/BM at the service dept in my company car days.Its up to You. The Ferangs you meet in Honda never seem to bitch either,bit like Volvo owners. Old n Happy.thumbsup.gif .

Very few, indeed.

If Benz/BMW customers are not "bothered about cost", I wonder why both are working on hybrid models? And certainly, the diesel models are intended to attract people that like a more refined/better engineered car (albeit also more expensive), and also care about the cost of driving it, especially if they drive a lot of miles in a year. It is no where near as simple or as obvious as you try (rather poorly) to make it. And, as a general rule, consumers are always better off with more choices, a diesel engine option included.

A friend of mine who was senior counsel at the Federal Trade Commission told me that the number 1 car manufacturer for owner warranty/service complaints (in the US) was Volvo -- old, perhaps, but not especially happy. And not very many of them these days, in any event. (In January 2014, Toyota sold 124,717 vehicles in the US; Volvo sold 3,792, just above Fiat, at 3,222 whistling.gif .) Controversial is fine, but like Obama suggests, try to avoid the stupid stuff. wai2.gif