Work permit requirements - Volunteer Teacher

I have now returned to Thailand following the successful acquisition of a 'Non-O' Single entry volunteer visa in Penang - Thank you to everyone that helped out with my questions, you were really helpful ^_^....  

So, next step - work permit.... Can anyone tell me the exact documents required/ the process for this visa type? - I can only seem to find the information for Non-B paid/employed teachers!

Many thanks :)   

As far as I'm aware it's the same. If you don't have a degree or TCT waiver, put yourself down as a language assistant!

Actually, volunteer teachers are exempt from the requirement to have a teaching license or waiver by regulation from the Teaching Council.

As far as I'm aware it's the same. If you don't have a degree or TCT waiver, put yourself down as a language assistant!

Actually, volunteer teachers are exempt from the requirement to have a teaching license or waiver by regulation from the Teaching Council.

Just out of interest.....do you think this is a loop hole for a 'teacher/language instructor to obtain a WP as a volunteer, but be paid cash in hand? 

Cool.. can they also be paid expenses?

What you need to do is go to the labour office together with someone from the school to get some forms both you and the school/organization will have to fill in. At that time ask for their advice and help and labour normally will normally be of assistance.

Documents you need to prepare are at least:

- copy of highest diploma or degree

- list of other foreigners working there

- copy of passport and arrival card

- health certificate

- passport size photo

- contract

- teaching schedule

And documents from the school or organization.

You do not have to worry about the teaching license if your contract states that you do not get paid. Volunteers are exempt by regulation of the teachers council. (but the labour office might not know it).

Immigration might be a different story as some will not accept an extension of stay as a volunteer for a teacher at a government school. (The rules do not provide for volunteering for the government, only for organizations)

Just out of interest.....do you think this is a loop hole for a 'teacher/language instructor to obtain a WP as a volunteer, but be paid cash in hand? 

You mean working illegally. That is always possible, but not a loop whole. It is breaking the law and you risk 5 years for defiance of the labour law and 1 year for defiance of the teachers act, besides fines.

Cool.. can they also be paid expenses?

Not sure on this, I suppose that genuine expenses could be paid such as travel cost. But I would inquire with both labour office and immigration first if you want that in your contract

Anyway it should only be a token, not a salary. And salaries can be very low here.