What's the skill in riding a motorbike in Thailand?

scubascuba3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

defensive riding and defensive riding! it is the key in Asia.

You have to check every car, every hole, every surface and animal on the roads. But as long as you drove in London, your transition will be easier.

Actually, people say Thailand is very dangerous place to ride a motorbike but i believe, it is safer than our home countries in Europe or USA as long as you ride responsibly with a clear mind and with full protection.

Just take it easy during the first six months until you are adapted.

How many times did you see (in your home country) someone driving/riding at night with no lights, on the wrong side of the road and going towards the traffic ?

Ex London rider.

ll2 is right, I feel safer here too. Car drivers here are far more aware of bikes and often move out of the way for you or leave gaps in heavy traffic.

To answer your question, almost never, but here all the time. That's the difference, I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm aware that other riders do that so it has become normal to me and therefore not really a danger. As some have said here, being aware at all times is the key.

My main two bits of advice would be,

Check your tyre pressures, Thais pump them to rock solid.

When someone flashes their lights at you it means the dead opposite to the UK,

and concentrate, OK that's three but the last one's obvious.

I also feel safer riding in BKK than America because of the slow traffic and all vehicles are used to seeing bikes all around them.

I often feel lucky being able to split lanes and cut ahead of cars at stop lights.

I ride assuming there are no rules to the road or Thailand in general because many people ignore them.

So I ride relatively slow or only a few kph faster than other traffic.

One time I saw a guy sleeping in the breakdown section (if you could call a half meter that) of the Sukhumvit bridge between Phra Khanong and Onnut BTS; I missed his feet by a few cm.

Once when I was still a drunk tourist, I swung my taxi door open very fast and luckily there was no bike there.

I never forget that if I swung my door open, anyone can.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

defensive riding and defensive riding! it is the key in Asia.

You have to check every car, every hole, every surface and animal on the roads. But as long as you drove in London, your transition will be easier.

Actually, people say Thailand is very dangerous place to ride a motorbike but i believe, it is safer than our home countries in Europe or USA as long as you ride responsibly with a clear mind and with full protection.

Just take it easy during the first six months until you are adapted.

The above, plus NEVER ever ride at night so dangerous as to be almost beyond belief, everything coming at you from all directions with no lights, or even worse scooters with red headlights & white tail lights, think cars, M/bikes, Trucks, Elephants Duk duks, Buffalos, Tuk tuks, a large proportion on the wrong side of the road.

• Like 2

I think riding in Thailand in some ways safer than in the states as nearly ever Thai has ridden a motorbike since they were kids they are more aware of bikes than drivers or riders in the states. Yes therearepeople who do not pay attention and do stupid stuff but these are found worldwide

It's really easy, just watch any old Thai person ride their motorbike. They've clearly survived 40 or 50 years of riding using their style.

Mostly, they go really slow. They also don't make assumptions.

Start with that.

• Like 1

This post has made me think over the last few days about what I am unconsciously doing differently in BKK compared to back "home".

2 memories have come to mind. The first was my bike instructor telling us that we should ride assuming that all other road users are trying to kill you. In Bangkok, however no assumption is necessary, they ARE all trying to kill you. Also a "think bike" TV campaign in the UK showed a car driver waiting to pull out of a turning onto a main road and wrongly thinking that a gap in the row of cars was a space he could pull into, with the inevitable consequence when it turned out that the "space" was occupied by a motorcycle. That campaign played on the conscience of drivers as it was widely accepted that they would not pull out on a bike intentionally. Not here! You are the gap in the cars and because you ride a bike you WILL be the space if you don't foresee and prevent the situation.

One other word of warning, those old big Bangkok bus doors open abruptly and the edge of the door protrudes from the side of the bus when they are open. I found this out the hard way this week when riding past a bus which opened its doors, and practically batted me across the road like a ball in a pinball machine.

I dont think any bkk bike rider would sit behind a car like you say, here you can split lanes so there is no gap like that.

There are rules for LOS that you should know:

Scooter riders tend to move to the left side of the road before turning right (this drives me nuts).

A car flashing its brights at you might mean 'Go ahead' or 'Get out of my way'- discretion is the better part of valor.

Trucks will occasionally indicate when (they think) it's safe for you to pass them by flashing their turn signals- don't take their word for it.

Branches with green leaves situated in the road just before a turn might mean there's a broken-down vehicle out of view just ahead (they're used like orange comes in an emergency)- proceed with caution.

The bigger vehicle has right-of-way (even if it doesn't).

Wise words.

If they think its possible for you to stop in time, they will pull out in-front of you.

I wish you were right. In my experience Most Thais here in Isaan are not into speed and have no idea of reasonable stopping distances. They just pull out on you whatever, possible or not.

If they think its possible for you to stop in time, they will pull out in-front of you.

I wish you were right. In my experience Most Thais here in Isaan are not into speed and have no idea of reasonable stopping distances. They just pull out on you whatever, possible or not.
HaHa same in Bangkok see so many cars with the bonett poped about an inch at the windscreen were the bumb into the car infront...

This post has made me think over the last few days about what I am unconsciously doing differently in BKK compared to back "home".

2 memories have come to mind. The first was my bike instructor telling us that we should ride assuming that all other road users are trying to kill you. In Bangkok, however no assumption is necessary, they ARE all trying to kill you. Also a "think bike" TV campaign in the UK showed a car driver waiting to pull out of a turning onto a main road and wrongly thinking that a gap in the row of cars was a space he could pull into, with the inevitable consequence when it turned out that the "space" was occupied by a motorcycle. That campaign played on the conscience of drivers as it was widely accepted that they would not pull out on a bike intentionally. Not here! You are the gap in the cars and because you ride a bike you WILL be the space if you don't foresee and prevent the situation.

One other word of warning, those old big Bangkok bus doors open abruptly and the edge of the door protrudes from the side of the bus when they are open. I found this out the hard way this week when riding past a bus which opened its doors, and practically batted me across the road like a ball in a pinball machine.

sorry to hear this, hope you are fine.

I hate those f....ing busses in Bangkok!

sorry to hear this, hope you are fine.

I hate those f....ing busses in Bangkok!

I'm fine, it sounds more dramatic than it was.

The edge of the bus door clouted the handlebar / mirror / my little finger as I filtered past the bus. It caused a big wobble of the bars and sent me towards the car that was alongside the bus, but I didn't actually really lose control of the bike or scrape the car. A small bruise on my little finger was the only lasting effect, another good reason to wear gloves, if I was bare handed like many riders maybe I would have a broken finger? Who knows?

• Like 1

Only one thing to add as just about everything else has been covered, we are taught in the UK every bike or vehicle is entitled to their half of the carriageway. Does not apply here in LOS for Bikes, they expect you to ride in the gutter/bike lane. Somewhere we are taught never to ride, takes a bit of getting used to, I only do it when absolutely necessary. Apart from that I ride defensively but not like a pussy. I honestly believe it is no more dangerous here than in our home countries, apart from at night when it can get hairy.

• Like 1

In the UK, I was taught to always look as far down the road as I could, getting as much into my field of vision as possible. I've had one off in Thailand, due to a combination of small wheels and deep pot hole. I now find myself spending more time looking at the road condition, less time looking ahead.

Where do others mainly focus?

"Both"check the road ahead, but also expect something to pull out directly to your left,

kids, dogs, cars and people on there mobile phones. The main thing is speed control.

In town 40k out in the open 70 80k but allways look and expect anything.

• Like 1

In the UK, I was taught to always look as far down the road as I could, getting as much into my field of vision as possible. I've had one off in Thailand, due to a combination of small wheels and deep pot hole. I now find myself spending more time looking at the road condition, less time looking ahead.

Where do others mainly focus?

There's no real hard and fast rule on where and how you should look, different riders have different methods.

For me, you should never ''focus'' on anything, you should be scanning continually in front from down at the road surface approaching to all points right out to the far distance and everything inbetween, and not just straight ahead, also left and right.Never stop scanning!

Then of course your peripheral vision ..this is vital also and is easily improved by more and more frequent use..over time and practice ones peripheral vision can be improved immensely.

All this of course combined with just as much rear observation, frequent scanning of mirrors is also a must, as is also a scan over your bike at times,instruments especially, but you will find in time that you will see anything out of the ordinary from peripheral vision anyway. ie when scanning ahead and around you will see any flashing warning lights etc .

So,... NOT focusing is the optimum action...a continual scan between front, rear and side using all the above is paramount.

This of course is only my opinion, but has served me well for a long long time..it works!

Enjoy your riding..thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I am new to this particular topic, having been away from the internet for a while, but I guess most of it has already been said. Like being 100% alert at all times and riding at a very sensible speed and I have kind of got used to the philosophy of riding in Thailand (famous last words), but there is one maneuver that I have changed over the past 6 months which, I believe is much safer than the norm.

That of crossing a dual carriageway I have just joined, to immediately make a U turn, when it is busy, which I do a couple fo times a month. The standard way is to wait for a gap and then indicate and gradually make your way from lane to lane until you reach the fast lane, but after about 3 near missed with trucks or big cars who won't slow down, I now do it the pussy way. I stop at the entrance to the highway wait for a big hole and ride straight across until I reach the relative safety of the central reservation, then ride along to the U turn point. I am referring to doing this on my Honda Wave, especially when I have a passenger, where the bike's performance is not that great and the passenger (wife) is scared.

With very little biking experience on UK roads, I don't really have a datum and in some ways I think that is a good thing with no preconceived ideas that don't apply in Thailand, along with a lack of willingness to show off. I have a bike capable of doing the "ton" and wouldn't dream of doing so on any Thai road.

During my many days on this planet, I have driven more miles/km that most, in more countries than most and in more varying conditions than most, I have developed some reasonable bike riding skills of the past 6 years here and just refuse to do anything that will lead me to fall off. The old adage that "there are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers", seems to ring true to me.

I guess all this put's me in the boring fart category of bikers, but slow seems to work in Thailand.

I am new to this particular topic, having been away from the internet for a while, but I guess most of it has already been said. Like being 100% alert at all times and riding at a very sensible speed and I have kind of got used to the philosophy of riding in Thailand (famous last words), but there is one maneuver that I have changed over the past 6 months which, I believe is much safer than the norm.

That of crossing a dual carriageway I have just joined, to immediately make a U turn, when it is busy, which I do a couple fo times a month. The standard way is to wait for a gap and then indicate and gradually make your way from lane to lane until you reach the fast lane, but after about 3 near missed with trucks or big cars who won't slow down, I now do it the pussy way. I stop at the entrance to the highway wait for a big hole and ride straight across until I reach the relative safety of the central reservation, then ride along to the U turn point. I am referring to doing this on my Honda Wave, especially when I have a passenger, where the bike's performance is not that great and the passenger (wife) is scared.

With very little biking experience on UK roads, I don't really have a datum and in some ways I think that is a good thing with no preconceived ideas that don't apply in Thailand, along with a lack of willingness to show off. I have a bike capable of doing the "ton" and wouldn't dream of doing so on any Thai road.

During my many days on this planet, I have driven more miles/km that most, in more countries than most and in more varying conditions than most, I have developed some reasonable bike riding skills of the past 6 years here and just refuse to do anything that will lead me to fall off. The old adage that "there are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers", seems to ring true to me.

I guess all this put's me in the boring fart category of bikers, but slow seems to work in Thailand.

Thats good thinking man.

There is no rush, and i too am amazed at the things i see people do just to get a little ferther.

Correct if its too busy simply join the flow of traffic move over to the right and do a u-turn

even if you go maybe half k or so its only a little bit of time,

"beats being a fleshy virus on the road".

After selling my Ducati, Harley and maybe 30 years riding in the US I have decided I got off easy, no accidents.... I'm not so sure I want to take

a chance in CM. Maybe I will change the longer I'm here and the more I get used to the flow of things. They say there are only 2 types of riders.

Those that have gone down and those who haven't yet.

Thats good thinking man.

There is no rush, and i too am amazed at the things i see people do just to get a little ferther.

Correct if its too busy simply join the flow of traffic move over to the right and do a u-turn

even if you go maybe half k or so its only a little bit of time,

"beats being a fleshy virus on the road".

of course you can take a walk too! no need to rush:)

i believe life is short.

Edited by ll2