Working Online

Facial plastic surgery can also work wonders.

The way things are going the passport will carry fingerprints, iris ident and other bio-identifiers soon. As a visitor to USA you have all ten prints taken and put in their database along with your passport scan. They know more about me than my mother did!!! w00t.gif

I believe it is now very difficult, if not impossible to get into some countries if your passport does not have the "barcode" system. Soon most popular destination countries will be "fully sutomated". ;)

Edited by jpinx

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facial plastic surgery can also work wonders.

The way things are going the passport will carry fingerprints, iris ident and other bio-identifiers soon. As a visitor to USA you have all ten prints taken and put in their database along with your passport scan. They know more about me than my mother did!!! w00t.gif

I know that is all tough stuff to counter but the guy above has Russian friends who can fix it.

• Like 1

In both examples, people have chosen to ignore a law.

Yeah. That makes them criminals. One can choose to be a criminal, but don't start whining and moaning if you get caught. Your choice, after all.

Oh pipe down with your nauseating sanctimony.

I guess you've never broken a law, right?

I would imagine that, with the moniker "Cypress Hill", this man has broken at least one law. I actually believe it is impossible to live without breaking some law or another from time to time. 99% of those will be utterly unintentional. This is designed to allow our "leaders" something to grab us for if they need to. Nothing sinister, just leftovers that aren't changed as they provide this wonderful little avenue if needed.

I am interested to know when the laws of a work permit and hiring 4 Thai nationals was introduced?

It sounds like well before the internet and before online 'one man bands'.

They would generate more from taxes if they updated their laws and took into account internet and e-commerce.

These people could go legit and pay taxes.

Ok if they did this what would the reason be for living and performing this work in Thailand, it's needed for a visa ?

The one man banders didn't have a problem when they could get education or tourist visas it's only a problem for them now they can't get a visa , they didn't care about work permits before. So as the elite card works out cheaper than the minimum tax why don't they just get it ? Obviously not a problem with all this spare cash they have lying around just waiting to pay taxes with if they could.

From a post 18 AUG 2014: "I am interested to know when the laws of a work permit and hiring 4 Thai nationals was introduced? It sounds like well before the internet and before online 'one man bands'."

I don't know when the 4 : 1 Thai : Alien work permit ratio was first introduced but the latest version of the Alien Working Act was enacted 2008 which I believe is after the advent of the internet.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

From the above: Yet surely the seller of those items, living in Thailand ... and such may be the crux of the matter. The person with the e-book/Amazon scenario IS living in Thailand. The issue of a work permit for vapor transactions is entirely nebulous. It seems the Thai officials would rather control the situation for persons doing online transactions while living in Thailand by control of visas/extensions of stay rather than perusing transactions made in the ether.

Much like the US could not prove Al Capone ordered persons to be murdered; they busted him on tax evasion charges.

The thing is, there's no rational reason for that, Unless the seller is actually promoting in Thailand (which would be work, IN Thailand) those people are going to download those books anyway, and so once more there's no net loss to Thailand, there's a net gain. I'm not really going against what you're saying, it's just one of those things that when you look into it, it doesn't really make sense if it were actually enforced.

Which is why the Labor Department people don't seem to have any interest in going after persons living in Thailand and working online because the thing has become so nebulous -- they have tacitly decided it seems to leave such problems to the Min Foreign Affairs and Immigration folks since such persons living in Thailand and working online will eventually have to come before those authorities in person for their ability to remain in Thailand.

This is another total misnomer your just trying to interpret the situation to support your "opinion" there are as far as I know no cases of people being refused a visa due to on line activities. The visa situation has been overblown by TV's doom and gloomers the only changes are to visa exempt extensions (visa runs) and tighter checks on ED visa's, tourist visas are still available with no official mention of how many can be obtained.

You’ve been desperately trying to find some avenue to link your opinion to the objectives of the Thai government, as yet you’ve found nothing more than your interpretation of why they may or may not have done things. As far as I know the NCPO don’t run their policies past you so you have no insight in to their reasoning.

Thaivisa the hub of irrelevant information supplied by exceptionally boring turbo charged buffoons.

• Like 1

From the above: Yet surely the seller of those items, living in Thailand ... and such may be the crux of the matter. The person with the e-book/Amazon scenario IS living in Thailand. The issue of a work permit for vapor transactions is entirely nebulous. It seems the Thai officials would rather control the situation for persons doing online transactions while living in Thailand by control of visas/extensions of stay rather than perusing transactions made in the ether.

Much like the US could not prove Al Capone ordered persons to be murdered; they busted him on tax evasion charges.

The thing is, there's no rational reason for that, Unless the seller is actually promoting in Thailand (which would be work, IN Thailand) those people are going to download those books anyway, and so once more there's no net loss to Thailand, there's a net gain. I'm not really going against what you're saying, it's just one of those things that when you look into it, it doesn't really make sense if it were actually enforced.

Which is why the Labor Department people don't seem to have any interest in going after persons living in Thailand and working online because the thing has become so nebulous -- they have tacitly decided it seems to leave such problems to the Min Foreign Affairs and Immigration folks since such persons living in Thailand and working online will eventually have to come before those authorities in person for their ability to remain in Thailand.

This is another total misnomer your just trying to interpret the situation to support your "opinion" there are as far as I know no cases of people being refused a visa due to on line activities. The visa situation has been overblown by TV's doom and gloomers the only changes are to visa exempt extensions (visa runs) and tighter checks on ED visa's, tourist visas are still available with no official mention of how many can be obtained.

You’ve been desperately trying to find some avenue to link your opinion to the objectives of the Thai government, as yet you’ve found nothing more than your interpretation of why they may or may not have done things. As far as I know the NCPO don’t run their policies past you so you have no insight in to their reasoning.

Thaivisa the hub of irrelevant information supplied by exceptionally boring turbo charged buffoons.

who are you referring to?

What if I want to work in Thailand?

If you are working for a Thai company, you will need a non-immigrant (type B) visa and then a work permit in order to work legally.

If you are a 'digital nomad' running your own business on the internet, the immigration office says you can do this on a tourist visa.

http://chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4366

u dont need work permit

The event was organised by the Chamber of Commerce, Upper Northern Thailand Provincial Cluster 1, and was attended by members of the local consular corps and some foreign business owners.

Pol. Col. Rutphong Sanwanangkun, Superintendent of Chiang Mai Immigration, addressed those present along with two of his colleagues. The immigration officers answered questions, including some that CityNews asked readers to submit.

If you are working for a Thai company, you will need a non-immigrant (type visa and then a work permit in order to work legally.

If you are a 'digital nomad' running your own business on the internet, the immigration office says you can do this on a tourist visa.

• Like 2

u dont need work permit

The event was organised by the Chamber of Commerce, Upper Northern Thailand Provincial Cluster 1, and was attended by members of the local consular corps and some foreign business owners.

Pol. Col. Rutphong Sanwanangkun, Superintendent of Chiang Mai Immigration, addressed those present along with two of his colleagues. The immigration officers answered questions, including some that CityNews asked readers to submit.

If you are working for a Thai company, you will need a non-immigrant (type visa and then a work permit in order to work legally.

chiangmaicitynews link does not connect

What other evidence is there for your assertion ?

That is all changing nowadays with the anti-graft policies now in place. Next time it'll be a red-stamp in their passport - much more cost-effective than any fine or jailtime.

U can change passport in bkk.

Took me month and 3000 bath

Changing passports is easy, (unless you are from the UK at the minute) changing the immigration database is a bit more complicated.

Or do you not think you will be entered into it for being red stamped?

Optimism is a wonderful virtue..........................

Actually, you're wrong.

I know 2 people - one who was denied entry cos he had an assortment of visas and another who was caught working in an office illegally, arrested, taken to court, blacklisted and deported.

Both of them are back in country RIGHT NOW.

1. New passports

2. Immigration database records wiped clean and, in the case of the deported guy, the court as well

3. New, kosher visas from home embassy

4. Immigration officers walk them through land border of their choice

5. Sent on their way to their destinations within Thailand

Two weeks tops if you've got the dosh

They've been in and out since, applied for extensions etc . . . it's as if they simply never existed

u dont need work permit

Yes it does. I just visited it and it's there in black & white

Chances are it's an error but if not, then it looks like the more smug posters can shove it where the sun doesn't shine, huh?

u dont need work permit

Where does it say you dont need a work permit.. It says they will ignore people doing this on a tourist visa..

Wait for the labor departments statement.

Well of course you can, because if you are a "digital nomad" you **ARE** a tourist.

Tourist precludes working.. Digital nomads are working while they travel.

u dont need work permit

Yes it does. I just visited it and it's there in black & white

Chances are it's an error but if not, then it looks like the more smug posters can shove it where the sun doesn't shine, huh?

Strange -- http://chiangmaicitynews.com/ does not respond to me but the domain responds to pings from it's host company in USA. Are you connecting directly from within Thailand ?

Well of course you can, because if you are a "digital nomad" you **ARE** a tourist.

Tourist precludes working.. Digital nomads are working while they travel.

Yes, and according to that article at least, it's perfectly legal. The article mentions nothing about non-nomads with internet businesses (sourced offshore).

Immigration is not the Labor Department. Their opinions do not matter when talking about work permits.

Hahaha I love the way you Muppets flip flop from one irrelevant issue to another, yesterday as an answer to why there was no anecdotal evidence of people being fined for working on line without a work permit it was posed that they were dealing with this issue through visa restrictions. Now that's been proven wrong your trying to add legitimacy to your increasingly tenuous argument by stating it's down to a different department.

Really no need for that type of tone, if you don't like what your reading there is no need to start calling people "Muppets" and "Baffons" if you don't agree with what they say, try to be more tolerant of what others say, its just a discussion after all

• Like 1

I am sure the Officer meant that a TOURIST can conduct his regular business during the short time he is visiting Thailand.

Still, you'll not be offended if people quite rightly urinate on your opinion

Immigration is not the Labor Department. Their opinions do not matter when talking about work permits.

But their opinions are the only ones that count in this matter.

I wish other provinces than Chiang Mai can confirm this , that digital nomads can work online on a tourist visa. That would help a lot if you get caught working online at Starbucks....

I wish other provinces than Chiang Mai can confirm this , that digital nomads can work online on a tourist visa. That would help a lot if you get caught working online at Starbucks....

From the referenced Chiang Mai article as stated by the Authors of the article:

Chiang Mai immigration officers merely enforce policy that is decided by politicians and at headquarters in Bangkok.

So this must already be the policy at IMM HQ in Bangkok, nyet?

Edited by JLCrab

Ok, if you've already walked to immigration office and worked right under the nose of an officer without problems, try walking to revenue office next. Remember to mention you've been in Thailand over 180 days and not paid any taxes. See how that goes.

If somebody volunteers, please make a youtube video out of it. Should be entertaining.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

On line business can be very successful.
If you're good at what you do, why not setting up a company in Thailand, under BOI scheme for example and, therefore, being fully legal?
Just my 2 cents...

Because setting up a company abroad and run earnings and expenses trough it would be considered tax evasion in my home country. We are talking about a serous crime with heavy penalties and jail. And there is no bribing your way out of that like in Thailand.

Hence not an option at all.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

u dont need work permit

The link works for me. This is great!

It would be good if it was also written in Thai to be presented to the immigration officer.

On line business can be very successful.

If you're good at what you do, why not setting up a company in Thailand, under BOI scheme for example and, therefore, being fully legal?

Just my 2 cents...

Because setting up a company abroad and run earnings and expenses trough it would be considered tax evasion in my home country. We are talking about a serous crime with heavy penalties and jail. And there is no bribing your way out of that like in Thailand.

Hence not an option at all.

Your country doesnt allow the offsetting of taxes baid in another jurisdiction against home country taxes ??

Secondly it doesnt allow corporate expenses as a deduction against taxes ??

Which country is this ??