Residence Certificate in Chiang Mai

lj cm

OMG! The carping from foreigners that goes on!

There is absolutely no argument that the bureaucratic process of getting a residence certificate is a pain in the after- regions of the body.

One can argue about the pains of bureaucratic process anywhere until the cows come home, but in this case the process is really pretty straight forward. And, if you have traveled the world at all beyond casual tourism --- and it seems many malcontents who have posted here have not --- then you will realize that bureaucratic excess is endemic worldwide, and particularly in less economically-developed countries of the world.

So many people seem appalled about trivial personal inconvenience. Regarding the 500 bhat for the convenience of speeding a transaction (it is not a bribe or money under the table; it is a service), it is piddling small change in the passage of life.

There are important things to be concerned about, not this matter!

Haven't needed to get one at the new location.

Do they issue a receipt for the 500 Baht service?

• 3 months later...

Went today...they said 30 days for free service. I guess they want to edge people towards 500 Baht overnight service.

He also said to my g/f can only get it "one time there"...but he might mean the free service 1 time.

I will get mine 6th February...wonder if a copy of the original would be valid in 6 months if I buy another motorbike....

Yeah, I got the one time, next time go to your consulate, which is the last thing I want to do. 33 days for mine. I asked them why no room number on the letter, he said cannot, so we'll see what the people at the Tambon office say about that.

• 1 year later...

Excuse my ignorance, but exactly what info do you need to give them to obtain the certificate of residence?

I have had a 5 year license, and as I get older my memory seems to be fading somewhat.

I live with my wife in her house, what do I need to show them?

Many thanks

TP

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2014 at 10:15 AM, lj cm said:

What documents do I need to bring to obtain this? I have a tourist visa and am renting a condo for 4 months.

You need the application form, one picture and copy of passport picture page, visa and TM card. Furthermore copy of your renting contract.

But you can not get it on a tourist visa. What do you need it for?; because you can also not buy a motorbike or car (or get a driving license) on a tourist visa.  

Of course you can buy . Though you cant register in your name. ( which could be advantage too.) Still possible to renew insurance too.

On 1/6/2015 at 5:44 PM, bangmai said:

Yeah, I got the one time, next time go to your consulate, which is the last thing I want to do.  33 days for mine.  I asked them why no room number on the letter, he said cannot, so we'll see what the people at the Tambon office say about that.

The letter obtained from embassy is valid ONE YEAR. Just ask for several copies , if possible.

The one issued from immigration is one month validity .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

juristic person at my condo (I am the owner of my unit I have a blue book of ownership) gave me a "letter of residency" and insists that this is good enough for Driver's license renewal. They emphatically state that I don't need to go to imm to get any other kind of "residency" cert.  I'm not sure I trust them. Please comment

• 8 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 9:19 PM, steveolevi said:

juristic person at my condo (I am the owner of my unit I have a blue book of ownership) gave me a "letter of residency" and insists that this is good enough for Driver's license renewal. They emphatically state that I don't need to go to imm to get any other kind of "residency" cert.  I'm not sure I trust them. Please comment

My comment is if you have a Blue Book and you are not a Thai citizen it has only the previous owners name. Proof of nothing. Not sure if you can get by with a letter of residency from the jusistic person that is not a government document they may tell you to get a "proper" Certificate of Residence from Immigration of your Embassy/Consul.

Archived