Thailand gets tough of jet ski scammers

webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread seems like deja vu. Didn't we have this same exact announcement a few months ago? And i think a few of these same responses too!!

Not really they announced that they were going to clamp down on the jet ski owners and had come to some sort of agreement with the operators.

This one is being more definite about what they are going to do. I haven't heard any complaints since the last announcement so I do wonder. It would seem that there has been some so they are increasing the pressure on the operators.

As for the same responses that is all they know how to say if it is Pro reform.

Seems to me they had to go at the taxi drivers three times. We were in Phuket two weeks ago and while I feel the cab prices where high as compared to here in Chiang Mai or Bangkok they were all the same. So apparently they have made some progress there. Didn't try the tuck tucks so can't say as to the price on them. We strictly cabbed it. Nephew paid.

• Like 1

Don't believe it...I'm in Phuket and there's been all this talk since the coup...everything from the jet ski boys changing their ways to eliminating all together...so far nothing has been done..they remain at large and the scams continue....Doesn't look like the army can crack this nut...

Yes, lots of talk . . . and NOW they are doing something about it . . . give it more than a few hours before you expect to see results . . . smile.png

all the talk coming from BKK where nobody knows the real truth as to how these guys behave...they have not and will not change their ways...I've been here 15 years and have seen it all ..even amongst all the talk over the years..and I'm seeing the new gound work in progress now and its nothing but cheap talk to pacify the critics...It's not changing!

What a bunch of whiners. the news is out for one hour and 13 minutes and we have people complaining of nothing happening and things they should do different.

It is like watching a three ring circus.

Who's whining?...I know the truth when I see it...question is..why bother getting anybodys hopes up over a lot of false bravado?....It ain't happening....you wanna think it is, then go ahead and enjoy the lie

• Like 1

Don't believe it...I'm in Phuket and there's been all this talk since the coup...everything from the jet ski boys changing their ways to eliminating all together...so far nothing has been done..they remain at large and the scams continue....Doesn't look like the army can crack this nut...

Yes, lots of talk . . . and NOW they are doing something about it . . . give it more than a few hours before you expect to see results . . . smile.png

all the talk coming from BKK where nobody knows the real truth as to how these guys behave...they have not and will not change their ways...I've been here 15 years and have seen it all ..even amongst all the talk over the years..and I'm seeing the new gound work in progress now and its nothing but cheap talk to pacify the critics...It's not changing!

High season is coming, sure they talking that everything is Ok.....and next year they talking again......still waiting when cows learn to fly....but i dont hold my breath coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The best way to deal with them is an ultimatum

Give them 3 weeks to clean up their act and if nothing has changed then ban them

Believe it or not the problem with this is that even on Pattaya beach there are actually a couple of genuine operators that don't abuse and scam - same goes for Koh Larn

• Like 1

Give them 3 weeks to clean up their act and if nothing has changed then ban them

Who will ban them? Do the side-incomes of such pious people in the positions they are ever cross your mind?

If you were Thai, and had a nice little side-liner paying you quite a few thousand baht a month, with the back up of you mates - whom incidentally you pay a paltry sum, but is a lot to them - would you ban what came as instruction from 200Km away, unless an army presence enforced it?

Me thinks not.... the ultimatum is to take all jet-skis off the beach, and monitor the beaches (which should be part and parcel anyway). Let people hire the skis, and if there is any damage (which is usually ZERO), THEN IT WOULD BE RECORDED LEGALLY as proof. However, this is lateral Western thinking.

Returning to the ultimatum - who would miss jet-skiing if it were banned altogether? Probably not tourists, as there's so much else to do in a few weeks holiday. Thus, no clean up act - simply ban them, and then let's see who postulates charges, against a crocodile perhaps?

Who will ban them? Do the side-incomes of such pious people in the positions they are ever cross your mind?

If you were Thai, and had a nice little side-liner paying you quite a few thousand baht a month, with the back up of you mates - whom incidentally you pay a paltry sum, but is a lot to them - would you ban what came as instruction from 200Km away, unless an army presence enforced it?

Me thinks not.... the ultimatum is to take all jet-skis off the beach, and monitor the beaches (which should be part and parcel anyway). Let people hire the skis, and if there is any damage (which is usually ZERO), THEN IT WOULD BE RECORDED LEGALLY as proof. However, this is lateral Western thinking.

Returning to the ultimatum - who would miss jet-skiing if it were banned altogether? Probably not tourists, as there's so much else to do in a few weeks holiday. Thus, no clean up act - simply ban them, and then let's see who postulates charges, against a crocodile perhaps?

Of course they're going to do this with the army as back up and enforcement. Just like the dismantling of the illegal stalls on the beaches and almost everything, this will be enforced with soldiers. These gangsters may be tougher then the local government and may have them and the police in their pocket but I very much doubt they're going to be able to pay off the army and the NCPO or outfight them.

Police of course,,,,,,,,, you don't borrow 400,000 baht to become a police officer, and not make it pay back to family. What are a few tyrone little scuppers of army enforcement in none major places going to do about such? Think my prednisolone is affecting me - just as my ear-medicine.... ;)

Of course they're going to do this with the army as back up and enforcement. Just like the dismantling of the illegal stalls on the beaches and almost everything, this will be enforced with soldiers. These gangsters may be tougher then the local government and may have them and the police in their pocket but I very much doubt they're going to be able to pay off the army and the NCPO or outfight them.

Police of course,,,,,,,,, you don't borrow 400,000 baht to become a police officer, and not make it pay back to family. What are a few tyrone little scuppers of army enforcement in none major places going to do about such? Think my prednisolone is affecting me - just as my ear-medicine.... wink.png

I think people underestimate what the army can do. No one expected anything to be done to the illegal stalls on the beaches either. Where are they now, pray tell? What about the taxi mafia? You think these little jetski thugs are any different?

Rental shops complying with the new service standards will be issued with a Merry Elephant logo by the Department of Tourism to display. This emblem acts as a guarantee that they are trusted jet ski operators.

Slight error in the above quote... "Rental shops complying with the new service standards will be issued with a Merry Elephant logo by the Department of Tourism to display. This emblem acts as a guarantee that they are trusted jet ski operators scammers."

Fixed it.

• Like 2