hi dragonman and geoff

we have asked the land office to get involved but the chanote has been handed on to another department and they still require a signature from this guy to go ahead without it its a civil dispute at which point they wish not to get involved. I may be wrong about thai land law but that is how i see it from their comments so far. On the point of asking him to split the difference 50/50 well any rational person would say yes to that and i would certainly agree to it. However, this guy from one conversation to the next jumps around making so called decisions for us where he things the boundary should be moved from one day its the section in the middle then he goes away and thinks for a while and comes back saying move the fence at the end. I know what his plan is i think to improve the entrance on/off his own land as he plans an access route through the back at some point in time. So far this guy has done his best to insult my Father-in-law, question my wife's eductation and generally making all sorts of personal comments to agrivate the situation further. He is not a very nice person and just another tight arsed chinese guy who thinks we are no smarter than the farmers he steals land from on a day-to-day basis loaning them money. This land was not given to us free we had to buy it at great cost from our savings as the land is on the outskirts of the city and I begrudge giving it away to someone who makes demands. I am already in for 10,000 baht in solicitors fees, international telephone calls back and forth and chanote cancellation. I would really like to discover some loop hole in the law that states we can go ahead with the chanote by default of him not showing any proof of ownership but so far it does not seem to be there under thai law.

Whether they wish to get involved in a Civil Dispute, or not, is irrelevant. They are involved, in that it is the Land Department's responsibility! If any Court Action took place they would be prime witness. However you have to bear in mind that you may actually be getting away with a good deal, as many land boundaries under Nor Sor Sahm are up to 20% out. This is of course the disadvantage of the acquisition, and why most decent lawyers do not suggest other than chanote or Nor Sor Sahm Gor, especially where building is going to take place.

hi dragonman and geoff

we have asked the land office to get involved but the chanote has been handed on to another department and they still require a signature from this guy to go ahead without it its a civil dispute at which point they wish not to get involved. I may be wrong about thai land law but that is how i see it from their comments so far. On the point of asking him to split the difference 50/50 well any rational person would say yes to that and i would certainly agree to it. However, this guy from one conversation to the next jumps around making so called decisions for us where he things the boundary should be moved from one day its the section in the middle then he goes away and thinks for a while and comes back saying move the fence at the end. I know what his plan is i think to improve the entrance on/off his own land as he plans an access route through the back at some point in time. So far this guy has done his best to insult my Father-in-law, question my wife's eductation and generally making all sorts of personal comments to agrivate the situation further. He is not a very nice person and just another tight arsed chinese guy who thinks we are no smarter than the farmers he steals land from on a day-to-day basis loaning them money. This land was not given to us free we had to buy it at great cost from our savings as the land is on the outskirts of the city and I begrudge giving it away to someone who makes demands. I am already in for 10,000 baht in solicitors fees, international telephone calls back and forth and chanote cancellation. I would really like to discover some loop hole in the law that states we can go ahead with the chanote by default of him not showing any proof of ownership but so far it does not seem to be there under thai law.

Whether they wish to get involved in a Civil Dispute, or not, is irrelevant. They are involved, in that it is the Land Department's responsibility! If any Court Action took place they would be prime witness. However you have to bear in mind that you may actually be getting away with a good deal, as many land boundaries under Nor Sor Sahm are up to 20% out. This is of course the disadvantage of the acquisition, and why most decent lawyers do not suggest other than chanote or Nor Sor Sahm Gor, especially where building is going to take place.

Hi, I know nothing about Thai land law but if what you say about his plans for an access on the disputed land is correct, seems to me you have the upper hand here. I assume he cannot create said access on disputed land without your say so. Maybe best to just to wait it out ,you never know he may plan to build an industrial estate on the land......

Dragonman's right.

IF you are SURE you are right, use the land however you wish, thereby putting the onus on HIM to take action.

Have you thought of digging a nice deep pond? :o

I think it's not a bad thing to say NO anywhere. The main thing is to watch your mental states. Do not let yourself suffer.

The only thing people truly own are their actions.

Sleepyjohn

Edited by sleepyjohn

It may be a useful piece of information to find out what kind of land title the Chinese guy has - if he happens to have a Chanote then isn't he locked into a well-defined border?

To some extent it is up to either of you to decide if this minor border dispute grows. If both of you ignore the border and don't try anything (like building a fence) then the land just sits there without insulting anyone. You can look over and say "That's my land" and he can do the same. On your side is the Land Office should he decide to sell his land. At that point of sale the dispute may simply go away. The moment one of you decides to take action by using the property, then you are in a material dispute.

Is it possible to avoid building a fence? If you build it then you push him to either take action or do nothing, and decide quickly. Same thing if he decides to use the land in some way.

Do you actually need an upgraded Chanote land title to build on this land? Or is it just a space buffer?

Perhaps if you ignore the problem, he will die. :o

kenk3z