Health insurance

StefanBBK

Hi. Need some advise. My companies medical insurance runs out this month, and I will have to look for cover myself.

The cover should be for me (German) wife and two kids (5&10), all Thai. I would like to keep the premiums low, by having a large deductible. Problem I have is finding a policy that recognises that I need expat cover whilst the family are Thai.

Any good suggestions?

You can buy accident insurance from BUPA.... Sounds like what you are looking for..... It is cheap and does not cover out patient things like simple Dr. visits or medication, but will cover a percentage of major illness or accident at most hospitals. It will not be a package though, but 4 separate policies. It is very affordable.

Edited by inbangkok

You can buy accident insurance from BUPA.... Sounds like what you are looking for..... It is cheap and does not cover out patient things like simple Dr. visits or medication, but will cover a percentage of major illness or accident at most hospitals. It will not be a package though, but 4 separate policies. It is very affordable.

Accident insurance and cover for illnesses are 2 different things.

I would recommend to contact AA Insurance, forum sponsor here, and ask them. But if you want 2 different coverages, I think you'll end up with 2 different insurance companies. Check with AA though.

I would recommend to contact AA Insurance, forum sponsor here, and ask them. But if you want 2 different coverages, I think you'll end up with 2 different insurance companies. Check with AA though.

No. BUPA's accident insurance covers for major illness and hospitalization. Unless they changed it. My last accident insurance policy was in 2011.

No. BUPA's accident insurance covers for major illness and hospitalization. Unless they changed it. My last accident insurance policy was in 2011.

Sorry, but no, not correct. From their own website: "Bupa specially offers a personal accident insurance, Accident Plus Plan. Accident Plus is a worldwide personal accident insurance plan for individuals and families that offers coverage for the costs of treatment resulting from accidents including motorcycle accidents."

Accident insurance and health insurance are not the same thing.

• Like 1

Stefan

There are a few choices open for you and your family depending on your age and the amount you want insured.

These can include deductibles and also co-payments should you chose.

May we suggest you go HERE and send your personal details ?

Note : Stevenl is correct, Accident Insurance commonly known as P.A. is, as the name suggests, only for accidents and should not be confused with medical/health insurance.

• Like 1

Sorry, but no, not correct. From their own website: "Bupa specially offers a personal accident insurance, Accident Plus Plan. Accident Plus is a worldwide personal accident insurance plan for individuals and families that offers coverage for the costs of treatment resulting from accidents including motorcycle accidents."

Accident insurance and health insurance are not the same thing.

Like I said, my last accident insurance policy was in 2011. I have a different plan now. I would still call them and ask about coverage in regards to illness hospitalization if I was the OP.

I tried the BUPA website and their rep told me they only offers accident insurance to Thai Nationals

There is a specific set of BUPA plans that are only offered to Thai nationals and they exclude coverage at Bumrungrad, BNH, Bangkok Hospital, and I think a few more. It is not the accident coverage though.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 68. I am looking for catastrophic health insurance. I am ready to self-insure up to about $20,000, but that doesn't go far these days.

I have a quote from Cigna; coverage of $1,000,000, global except USA; deductible $10,000; co-payment of 30% capped at $5,000. Annual premium is $1,549.65.

Is this a good deal? Can I get a better deal, and if so where?

• 3 months later...

I am 68. I am looking for catastrophic health insurance. I am ready to self-insure up to about $20,000, but that doesn't go far these days.

I have a quote from Cigna; coverage of $1,000,000, global except USA; deductible $10,000; co-payment of 30% capped at $5,000. Annual premium is $1,549.65.

Is this a good deal? Can I get a better deal, and if so where?

Pacific Cross Health Insurance does not have an arbitrary age limit for new applications and will look at each case on its own merits regardless of age at entry.

The Lifestyle series health insurance range consists of 9 policies arranged in 4 groups; modules can be added in many cases and there is a range of options to reduce the cost – altogether more than 1000 different permutations are possible.

Annual premiums for a 68 year old start at 30,000 baht at one end of the scale and go up to around 170,000 baht at the very top end for worldwide cover with the maximum per disability of a little over US$1.5 million in cover and a lifetime limit of around US$6 million.

By electing to exclude outpatient cover you can reduce the premium by 20%. Optional deductibles on most plans are ฿40,000, ฿100,000, ฿200,000 and ฿300,000 and these can further reduce the premium by a cumulative 25%, 32.5%, 40% and 50% respectively.

In addition a no-claim discount applies to most options, which rises to a further 20% discount after 3 claim-free years.

Co-payment arrangements and the like are the result of the underwriting process.

The figures above are a general guide only but do indicate that there is a great deal of flexibility and that this can be a very competitive option – but it is never simple to make ‘head to head’ comparisons because of the complexity of health insurance plans.

By following the links you can find out more about Pacific Cross Health Insurance Plans, download health insurance brochures and application form or arrange a free no obligation health insurance quote from the company.

Alternatively you can speak with your Thai registered insurance broker who will be equally able to help you … but make sure you are dealing with a Thai registered brokerage and not an offshore brokerage because despite what they may lead you to believe they are not authorised to offer any products which are legally approved for sale in Thailand – these can only be obtained by a broker licensed for the Thai market. Click on the following link to read more on this topic.

Best regards

PCHI-logo-and-tagline-jpg-small.jpg