Thailand: Junta vows to clean up ivory trade

webfact

It's a difficult goal, but the present government cannot do worse than the previous one. When the darling of Isan was in charge it TRIPLED. How on earth can people still want to see her back in office?

I really, really don't believe the two issues are concommitant and you've successfully introduced a side issue.

I'll believe all this daily PR when and if I see actual evidence as to the daily junta-spiel's efficacy. So far, all I've seen are small restaurants and sun loungers being removed from the beaches and precious little else.

Oh, come on guys.

Whether tripled or not, you should know Ms. Yingluck frequently 'vowed' to take charge or pay special attention while nothing really happened.

The remark of wilco that Yingluck promised but did little but largely due to two years of political turmoil seems to ignore that it was March 2013 that Ms. Yingluck announced before more than 2,000 representatives of 150 countries at the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora last March that she would abide by the legal amendments and announce measures to stop the ivory trade. The political turmoil started in October 2013.

It would seem the blanket amnesty bill and the 2.1 trillion infrastructure loan were seen as much more important than a few elephants or some pesky foreigners complaining.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

It's a difficult goal, but the present government cannot do worse than the previous one. When the darling of Isan was in charge it TRIPLED. How on earth can people still want to see her back in office?

I really, really don't believe the two issues are concommitant and you've successfully introduced a side issue.

I'll believe all this daily PR when and if I see actual evidence as to the daily junta-spiel's efficacy. So far, all I've seen are small restaurants and sun loungers being removed from the beaches and precious little else.

Oh, come on guys.

Whether tripled or not, you should know Ms. Yingluck frequently 'vowed' to take charge or pay special attention while nothing really happened.

The remark of wilco that Yingluck promised but did little but largely due to two years of political turmoil seems to ignore that it was March 2013 that Ms. Yingluck announced before more than 2,000 representatives of 150 countries at the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora last March that she would abide by the legal amendments and announce measures to stop the ivory trade. The political turmoil started in October 2013.

It would seem the blanket amnesty bill and the 2.1 trillion intrastructure loan were seem as much more important than a few eliphants or some pesky foreigners complaining.

as these issues go back BEFORE the Yingluck government - the only accurate assessment can be that SUCCESSIVE governments have failed to do anything regardless of their political allegiances.

Now you're talking, but just to be sure since you still have the BEFORE Yingluck, rather than the 'successive' I would write "any government till now" wai.gif

• 3 weeks later...

A good place to start is the gem and jewelry manufacturer showroom where it's for sale.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As the report said they have done detailed surveys of the stores selling ivory in Bkk and in Nakon Sawan. The pout lets ae known but the registration of the outlets is simply not eng=forced.

the WORLD wants the trade shut down....it looks like Thailand just wants to stop imports from Africa and let their own ivory traders continue in peace.....FAT CHANCE that'll work!

It's unlikely there will be any progress in eliminating the ivory trade without the 2 biggest buyers Japan and China whose gov would have to impose very strict and enforce punishments. Ha!

I think you should read the report.

If Thailand doesn't comply then they will be subject to sanctions by other CITES members.

As explained in the report and elsewhere this has the potential to have a real effect on Thai exports...i.e. the export for flora and fauna as stipulated under the CITES agreement....it WILL hurt.

e.g.

1. The inclusion of the African Elephant as a “protected species” under the country’s Wildlife Act,
  2. Effective control of domestic ivory trade,
  3. strict penalties for illegal possession or illegal domestic trade of ivory;
  4. Establishment of comprehensive registration systems for domestic ivory and for licensed ivory traders;
  5. Better monitoring and control of ivory traders,
  6. Law enforcement efforts against illegal trade.”

Progress made on this will be assessed by CITES on 31st March 2015. If found lacking, the members of the CITES standing committee may take punitive action in the form of sanctions against Thailand This will take the form of suspending trade and the export of CITES registered goods. ...e.g. orchids and animal skins....this could end up costing Thailand trillions of baht."

Edited by wilcopops

Commendable course of action, however it's eliminating the demand for ivory that needs to tackled head on too.

Ivory poaching is serious business in Africa, the gangs are well armed and organised as the customers are getting elephants killed to order, it's a disgusting crime, ame with the rhino horn poaching.. getting eaten alive by a lion is an injustice to poachers!! They should suffer the same fate as their kills

Regarding the Junta doing things, I think some actions have been positive, but when you read about the closed down Phuket Jet ski owners being allowed to operate again because they told the Junta they would have to turn to crime (a paradox?), one has to wonder what the hell is going on?

Which is why I don't hold much hope for change regarding the ivory trade.

Do you really think the Military would be intimidated by that argument. If they were then national security is under a great threat.

Regarding the Junta doing things, I think some actions have been positive, but when you read about the closed down Phuket Jet ski owners being allowed to operate again because they told the Junta they would have to turn to crime (a paradox?), one has to wonder what the hell is going on?

Which is why I don't hold much hope for change regarding the ivory trade.

Do you really think the Military would be intimidated by that argument. If they were then national security is under a great threat.

Jet Skis in Pattaya and the International Ivory trade......can you spot which problem is more parochial?.....and it would appear they can't even effectively tackle the parochial one......

• 1 month later...

....and here's the plan - a complete load of whitewash.........http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/social/437282/ivory-trade-plan-under-fire

their response is a mixture of procrastination and obfuscation.....rather predictable. i suppose they hope to play for time and wear down the patience of CITES.

On the other hand they stand to lose about 4 billion baht in trade of CITES registered flora and fauna

'But the minister said he rejected the demand, saying it would violate people's right to do business.'

Where can you start with that comment?

Human trafficking?

The shop owners are connected to the powers that be, I wonder.

'But the minister said he rejected the demand, saying it would violate people's right to do business.'

Where can you start with that comment?

Human trafficking?

The shop owners are connected to the powers that be, I wonder.

just a typical example of Thai "politspeak"

Thailand is on the verge of causing or helping with the extinction of several "keystone" species - even really poor, disorganised countries are trying to do something, but Thailand comes out with a statement like the one above........I ask you!

Edited by wilcopops

Clutching at straws to save their tourist industry.

The bank of thailand has been propping the baht up for a while now & simply can't afford to continue to do so.

The rich importers who are bribing the government to keep the baht strong simply don't have the cash on a worldwide scale to prevent the imminent collapse.

If you're invested here I'd run for the hills right now if I were you.

Clutching at straws to save their tourist industry.

The bank of thailand has been propping the baht up for a while now & simply can't afford to continue to do so.

The rich importers who are bribing the government to keep the baht strong simply don't have the cash on a worldwide scale to prevent the imminent collapse.

If you're invested here I'd run for the hills right now if I were you.

sorry don't follow you on this...... how are you connecting this to elephants and ivory?