DNA shows Japanese fathered 15 surrogate babies: Thai police

webfact

DNA shows Japanese fathered 15 surrogate babies: Thai police

BANGKOK, August 20, 2014 (AFP) - A DNA test of a Japanese man embroiled in a surrogacy scandal in Thailand shows that he is the biological father of at least 15 babies, police said Wednesday.

But his motives remained a mystery two weeks after the discovery of nine babies in a Bangkok apartment triggered a human trafficking probe.

The alleged father, who is reported by Japanese media to be the son of an IT millionaire, has left Thailand but voluntarily sent the DNA sample to try to clear his name.

"It is confirmed that he is the father of all the babies -- the 15 babies that we checked," Thai police doctor Lieutenant General Jongjate Aojanepong told AFP after the preliminary result.

The authorities still hope that the man will return to Thailand to help with the investigation, police Lieutenant General Kokiat Wongvorachart told reporters.

"If he comes, we will get clear information from him," he added.

Asked about the content of a written explanation submitted by the Japanese through his lawyer, Kokiat said: "He said he can take care of them. He wants to have children."

"From our checks of the living conditions of the babies, so far there has not been any abuse or involvement in human trafficking or unlawful use of the babies," he added.

He said Thailand would seek help from foreign police experts to confirm the preliminary DNA test result.

The case is the latest twist in a widening surrogacy scandal initially triggered by accusations that an Australian couple abandoned a baby born with Down's syndrome with his Thai surrogate mother -- but took his healthy twin sister.

Paid surrogacy is illegal in Thailand. The military rulers have vowed to introduce a new law that could result in 10 years' imprisonment for anyone found guilty of involvement in the trade.

Australia has asked Thailand to make "transitional arrangements" to help any of its citizens who have already entered into surrogacy agreements.

In the case of the Japanese man, the surrogate mothers have said they did not use their own eggs, according to police.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-08-20

Seems to be one more article abusing the term "surrogate".

If a guy makes 10 women pregnant, that has nothing to do with surrogate. Surrogate is when the fertilized egg of another woman has been implanted in the womb of a woman.

And I am not aware of any law forbidding to make a woman pregnant, or am I missing something here?

• Like 1

With all the single thai mothers and most of thee surrogates have children and are poor it would make sense if this jap is legit that they let him have his kids. He is a millonaire so he can afford proper care for them. However his actions should be monitered until they reach adulthood.

Once again i will say the police can request this jap to come talk with them. But he can legally use a lawyer to represent his interests. YL did it this way also.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This story gets more stupid all the time.......earlier today, the DNA specimen was not suitable.....now they know his DNA....??

Or is it another case of journalism gone crazy again........

Dumbass authorities don't have a clue if the story is now correct!

• Like 1

He sent the DNA sample to clear his name?

Was he drunk when they asked him to jizz in the cups?

=================

For your information a DNA sample can be taken by using a swab and taking a small sample from the inside of the mouth. The saliva contains all the genetic information used for a DNA sample.

This story gets more stupid all the time.......earlier today, the DNA specimen was not suitable.....now they know his DNA....??

Seems to me the 'authorities ' are just setting things up to sweep this all under the rug as soon as possible. Dna? Perfect match!! Abuse? No! Anything untoward? No! Great! Only thing left to do is ask him, "hey! Are you a bad guy?? "

If a guy makes 10 women pregnant, that has nothing to do with surrogate. Surrogate is when the fertilized egg of another woman has been implanted in the womb of a woman.

And I am not aware of any law forbidding to make a woman pregnant, or am I missing something here?

. . . in the case of the Japanese man, the surrogate mothers have said they did not use their own eggs . . .

------------------

The problem is that the DNA sample can or could not be legally verified as from him.

For legal reasons you need to have a verifiable chain of custody.

Just because someone brings a DNA sample and CLAIMS it is from him, that is not legal proof because the person who presents the sample can verify it the sample was from him.

There needs to be a verifiable chain of custody to legally prove it is from him, not just someone claiming that it is his.

Unless there is a verifiable chain of custody a sample can't be proven legally to be his

Don't you watch any of those "Cop" shows on Television?

• Like 1

The authorities still hope that the man will return to Thailand to help with the investigation, police Lieutenant General Kokiat Wongvorachart told reporters.

I'm sure the man is arranging the flight back to Thailand right now--NOT!!!

• Like 1

Yes, you are. The article clearly states that the eggs of other women were implanted into the mothers.

------------------

The problem is that the DNA sample can or could not be legally verified as from him.

For legal reasons you need to have a verifiable chain of custody.

Just because someone brings a DNA sample and CLAIMS it is from him, that is not legal proof because the person who presents the sample can verify it the sample was from him.

There needs to be a verifiable chain of custody to legally prove it is from him, not just someone claiming that it is his.

Unless there is a verifiable chain of custody a sample can't be proven legally to be his

Don't you watch any of those "Cop" shows on Television?

problems with a chain of evidence is the sort of thing lawyers drive double decker buses through, for a hefty fee of course.

SURROGACY
Japanese dad Shigeta faces police summons

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- POLICE WILL summons Mitsutoki Shigeta for questioning after a DNA test initially confirmed the 24-year-old Japanese man's claim that he had fathered the nine surrogate babies recently discovered in a Bangkok condominium.

Meanwhile, Boonreung Trireungwarawat, director-general of the Health Support Department, who led a team to inspect a fertility clinic in Pathumwan district yesterday, said the facility was licensed, had operated for four to five years and treated 1,000 patients a year - 30 for surrogate services.

The department would charge the clinic with neglecting to ensure medical personnel at the clinic followed medical professional regulations under the Medical Facilities Act.

Pol Lt-General Korkiat Wongworachat, an assistant to the National Police chief, said police would take legal action against offenders but would be mindful of the impact on babies and surrogate mothers.

Shigeta would be treated as a witness. Since his children were not found to have been taken out of the country for any harmful or illegal purpose, the case did not fall within the bounds of human trafficking, he said.

An inspection didn't find any forged documents, he said, adding that the case report should be ready within 30 days.

He believed that Dr Pisit Tantiwattanakul, owner of the All IVF clinic, would meet Lumpini police by tomorrow as invited, but Pol Colonel Decha Phromsuwan, an investigator at Lumpini Police Station, said Pisit had telephoned police on Tuesday to ask for a postponement.

Pisit was cited as saying he was busy and might not be back by tomorrow's deadline.

In Tambon Pak Chong of Phetchabun's Lom Sak district, several villagers dismissed the claim of a television news crew that some 20 women in the poor village were employed as surrogate mothers.

Jenjob Janteuy, 43, said the farming village had more than 800 residents and only six to seven might be working as surrogate mothers.

Prasop Saenphukha, 40, admitted that some women might have turned to surrogacy for income, but he only knew one such example in the village.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Japanese-dad-Shigeta-faces-police-summons-30241394.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-21

Slight problem BIB, if he's not in Thailand just how do you intend to summons him ?

Exactly. A Japanese citizen living in Japan and the BIB/Junta think they can simply summons him. He will probably just wiggle his naked butt in the direction of Thailand. What are they going to do if he ignores the summons, apply for extradition?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Slight problem BIB, if he's not in Thailand just how do you intend to summons him ?

Exactly. A Japanese citizen living in Japan and the BIB/Junta think they can simply summons him. He will probably just wiggle his naked butt in the direction of Thailand. What are they going to do if he ignores the summons, apply for extradition?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I don't know if it's the translation Chooka but how many times have we seen / heard the use of ' summons ' when totally wrong and perhaps ' invite ', ' request ' etc might be more appropriate. Does Thai officialdom think a summons even an arrest warrant issued here has any international effect ?

Remember the incident in Eqypt when the female diplomat attacked the female lawyer and it was reported the Thai Embassy would summon the lawyer and her husband to hear their evidence. Totally inappropriate language but if correct total arrogance as the Thai Embassy had no authority to ' summon ' anyone.

Back to Gammy and his twin sister now in Australia: So this Japanese guy is the biological father, right?

I wonder if the Australian couple think that it's their own biological baby? An earlier article said that their were Russian egg donors involved, so I assume the half-white half-Asian kid is the result of something like that?

I assume the Thai government can totally summon this guy for abandonment if he doesn't start at least financially supporting these kids? Not that this rich guy would have any financial trouble supporting his little newborn army, but I assume he is now legally obliged to do so as the registered father.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"In the case of the Japanese man, the surrogate mothers have said they did not use their own eggs, according to police."

You need to read the post more thoroughly

Yes, you are. The article clearly states that the eggs of other women were implanted into the mothers.

Yes indeed, I missed that.

So the question remains, who are the real mothers? Why all the hype against the father and the egg spending mother(s) are not investigated? Is this a crime which can only be committed by men? (If it is a crime, all of a sudden)

Yes indeed, I missed that.

So the question remains, who are the real mothers? Why all the hype against the father and the egg spending mother(s) are not investigated? Is this a crime which can only be committed by men? (If it is a crime, all of a sudden)

The eggs apparently as reported came from foreign women, Australians, British, Malaysian

You are missing.... All women said they did not USE their egg. So they used as Surrogate implies Egg from another woman.