Power of Attorney while overseas

Say a person needs a lawyer/real estate agent to represent them in a transaction.

That person is currently on a tourist visa and in Thailand, but will be leaving shortly.

The transaction is scheduled to take place 2 months later. At that time the tourist visa would have expired for 2 months or so .

If that person signs a Power of Attorney for the lawyer/Agent while in Thailand and then travels back overseas, will the land office still accept the Power of Attorney?.

Is there some additional document which can be added while in Thailand to ensure the Power of Attorney would be valid while tourist visa has expired?.

Please, only knowledgeable replies, no "guesstimates" .

Cheers

Depends.

And, if you are in the USA, you should go to the nearest Thai consulate and have them sign their form and stamp your power of attorney.

Usually, the Land Office will REQUIRE this besides passport copies, and a TM card and visa be shown. If a current visa and TM card are not available, then the paper from the Thai consulate from your country is required. As you will be out of the country, this a Thai consulate stamp/papers are required.

The clients which I have worked with using Thai consulates in the US have said that is an easy process. I have also done this with Russians and the Thai consulates in Russia were also very helpful. It was an easy process.

You can call the closest consulate to your location beforehand, and I am sure they will be happy to let you know what you need to provide to them and how quickly they can complete the paperwork. You would then need to DHL or FedEx everything to your lawyer here.

best of luck.

Edited by dksharron

Thanks.

1. What is a TM card?.

2. Can I sign the power of attorney while in Thailand and possibly with an additional document where I state I grant the POA to person X say two months from now?. Will this negate the need for paperwork with the embassy back home?

Cheers

TM card is the card which is stapled to your passport when you enter the country.

On negating the paperwork back home, I would suggest that you go into the land office and see the manager, showing them all of the documents, and a power of attorney and see if he/she will accept it for use a few months later when you are not in the country.

It is up to the manager. I do not know the law on this.