Prayuth elected as the 29th Thai PM

webfact

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always starts out so nicely, dictators getting shit done and not taking anymore shit from criminals.

But as always happens with every dictatorship in history the real agenda will be revealed - a restricted press, no elections, blatant corruption, disgusting nepotism, an upsurge in nationalism fueled with hatred it is all on its way and it is only a matter of time. People would be begging for the likes of the Shinawatras and Abhisits back in charge if the army were given control of Thailand for the next 10 years.

starts out so nicely...a bit like your team..thumbsup.gif but hey you did win that coveted community shield last week...im green with envy...

Insulting a team for winning a match, I think you really are a bit envious smile.png

He's the best hope this pretty hopeless land has at the moment. At least we can see he has had a pretty good stab at things before he becomes PM, unlike the rest of the failures and money grabbers who have ever held the post. I am convinced he's honest and sincere, and that's a good start, give the bloke a fair go.He if fails badly then I really don't see a lot of hope for the future here.

I'm all for giving him a fair go. Let's see him run in a free and fair election (and not some farce of 200 hand-picked voters and no rival candidates).

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Those of you in denial that the country has already taken the difficult turn for the better should perhaps at least bite ones tongues. Things can only get better and we should positively look forwards to new elections next year without the participation of the corrupt dinosaurs and their brethren from both sides of the political divide. ASEAN together with new elections will transform Thailand.... In the fullness of time.

Usually when a general elects himself PM for life, things only get worse.

Could you suggest any country where this happened and things got better?

A lie. a real one at that---the General did not elect himself PM-for life. could you post something that is not a porky pie.

The interim constitution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_interim_constitution_of_Thailand) does not have a specific end date. Other constitutions specify timeframes for elections - the US is on a fixed schedules and many other parliements are capped at 5 years but generally occur within 4. The interim constitution specified timeframes for a new constitution, but with absolute veto power by the NCPO.

So, PM for life is within the scope of the interim constitution.

Absurd extrapolation. :wacko:facepalm.gifcrazy.gif

Section 44 gives the ncpo unlimited powers and the reform process can be reset an unlimited number of times until it is ultimately approved by the ncpo. Unless you can point out another mechanism, besides another coup, that limits the term of the PM, then the only thing absurd is your insulting response.

• Like 1

There seem to be a lot of gloom and doom merchants out early today along with many naysayers.

Disappointed Thaksinites?

Always with the Thaksin... Is he really relevant any more? Isn't it possible to be against a militarily imposed dictatorship without being labelled a Red Shirt?

Unfortunately while he is still alive he is still relevant,some people never give up!

Cleaned up three beaches and a sidewalk so far, after months in power. But hey that qualifies as job well done for the cheerleaders here.

Oh come on! Hardly fair.

He has has also found additional employment for many of his uniformed colleagues and the odd family member.

To condone his post is sick to say the least, it is a porky pie, a wind up, a baiting post.

How dare him post something that implies volumes and disagrees with me, you said. He should be banned from TVF because he sees things differently. A pork barrel criticism, a wind up the quiet pipe, and a waiting post at least.

Get real, the yellow leader and red leader both are convicts now. And for hilariously similar charges. Neither can claim the moral high ground.

Picking a side, cheerleaders and red sympathizers, is a bit like saying my pot is less black than the kettle! Sure, democracy has failed here -- again, but meting out one-sided arguments is a farrago. I will wait and see -- I do not expect a real revelation of purity or an utter failure coming anytime soon. I expect the worst...the status quo will remain and will be unchanged. It's been going on for 100 years. A good definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Yes, it's a bit gloomy and doomy -- there is no historical precedent to suggest otherwise, nor the details of the current situation showing any real improvement. It's a love of cosmetics -- skin whiteners, coups, and a few unruly stall owners and vendors being put down for the betterment of the nation...it's a joke with no punchline. What idiot expects an election or coup to move the mountain one picometer?

No one who has two neurons to rub together.

Wahhhh.

Cleaned up three beaches and a sidewalk so far, after months in power. But hey that qualifies as job well done for the cheerleaders here.

Oh come on! Hardly fair.

He has has also found additional employment for many of his uniformed colleagues and the odd family member.

Just like Thaksin before him. So if you think the general is doing wrong so was Thaksin.

elected the wrong word

"Prayut, who ousted an elected government in a bloodless coup on May 22, was backed by 191 members of the 197-strong assembly, with three abstentions and three voters absent. No assembly member opposed the selection of the army chief, who was the sole candidate for the post."

THREE people are in trouble now. Better pack for the camp stay.

How many people in the PTP opposed Yingluck?

• Like 1

Oh come on! Hardly fair.

To condone his post is sick to say the least, it is a porky pie, a wind up, a baiting post.

How dare him post something that implies volumes and disagrees with me, you said. He should be banned from TVF because he sees things differently. A pork barrel criticism, a wind up the quiet pipe, and a waiting post at least.

Get real, the yellow leader and red leader both are convicts now. And for hilariously similar charges. Neither can claim the moral high ground.

Picking a side, cheerleaders and red sympathizers, is a bit like saying my pot is less black than the kettle! Sure, democracy has failed here -- again, but meting out one-sided arguments is a farrago. I will wait and see -- I do not expect a real revelation of purity or an utter failure coming anytime soon. I expect the worst...the status quo will remain and will be unchanged. It's been going on for 100 years. A good definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Yes, it's a bit gloomy and doomy -- there is no historical precedent to suggest otherwise, nor the details of the current situation showing any real improvement. It's a love of cosmetics -- skin whiteners, coups, and a few unruly stall owners and vendors being put down for the betterment of the nation...it's a joke with no punchline. What idiot expects an election or coup to move the mountain one picometer?

No one who has two neurons to rub together.

Wahhhh.

I said WHAT???? your first paragraph-explain please, and if you say I said things put in QUOTES.

Being against a militiary junta with no electoral mandate whatsover, does not automatically mean one supports the PT and it's owners.

I am not sure really. Why don't you ask all your supporters and friends who only seem to support the PTP and its owners and who seem to dislike anything that anybody else does and pours scorn on it?

At the very least, they did have an electoral mandate, and they did in fact show they were willing to give up that power and call for new elections.

So if you were not a supporter why are you that interested in the fact that Yingluck called early elections to regain power quick before the courts started to tell all about what PTP had been up to. It back fired, the truth is they wanted the new mandate to get Thaksin back and cleared. but you wouldn't want to speak about that Why--you said you were not necessarily a PTP admirer. so what was the problem with the rest you omitted.??

So who are you to demand someone write a fifteen page exposition highlighting the parts you like. Do you really think you are a moderator? Get real. The statement made, as is, is accurate. Get over it. A LOT of people don't like the PTP, and also criticize Herr Suthep and his cronies, the coup, and generally fascist states and states of mind.

Wahhhhh. I am not buying into a stupid "us or them mentality", I am not buying into the "Us or them" idiotic discourse that you are trying to pass off as opinion. I am not buying into Rugby Team and Aussie Rules Football politics. Go back to sports commentary -- at least there you can slug suds with your mites.

• Like 2

Now that we have come this far, and we have a new PM, can someone refresh my memory, please?

Why weren't the elections called by the Yingluck Shinawatra government held? What exactly happened? I'm confused by all the happiness. How did we get here, to where we are today?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Calling it elected as primeminister is a gross misreprentation of the truth

Why? He is doing a stellar job!

Any data to support that?

The economy barely avoided technical recession, tourist numbers despite misleading headlines are way down... He has done a stellar job with populist PR stunts, like beach food stall management, an even more spectacular job at replacing key figures with his own buddies in schoolbook cases of cronyism. hmmmm ...but wait a minute.... errr.... wasn't that the exact reasons those who support the coup said PTP had to go?

Any tourism data, finance figures, etc will hardly be available for the last 10 weeks. To me it suggests the last lot has to take responsibility for most of the data given

data is available through end of July

I agree with you, Suthep f-d up the tourism numbers up to May

• Like 2

elected the wrong word

"Prayut, who ousted an elected government in a bloodless coup on May 22, was backed by 191 members of the 197-strong assembly, with three abstentions and three voters absent. No assembly member opposed the selection of the army chief, who was the sole candidate for the post."

THREE people are in trouble now. Better pack for the camp stay.

How many people in the PTP opposed Yingluck?

I think you'll find "in the PTP" are the keywords here.

An individual party will most often speak, at least publicly, with one voice. NOT a National Assembly composed of the representatives of the nation.

Now that we have come this far, and we have a new PM, can someone refresh my memory, please?

Why weren't the elections called by the Yingluck Shinawatra government held? What exactly happened? I'm confused by all the happiness. How did we get here, to where we are today?

The election was a fiasco because the conditions for it were not conducive to a fair and free election. On one hand by the PDRC blocking it, on the other by PTP's supporters murdering their opponents with impunity.

Would you like to go back the the street battles and the daily death and injuries toll?

Being against a militiary junta with no electoral mandate whatsover, does not automatically mean one supports the PT and it's owners.

I am not sure really. Why don't you ask all your supporters and friends who only seem to support the PTP and its owners and who seem to dislike anything that anybody else does and pours scorn on it?

At the very least, they did have an electoral mandate, and they did in fact show they were willing to give up that power and call for new elections.

So if you were not a supporter why are you that interested in the fact that Yingluck called early elections to regain power quick before the courts started to tell all about what PTP had been up to. It back fired, the truth is they wanted the new mandate to get Thaksin back and cleared. but you wouldn't want to speak about that Why--you said you were not necessarily a PTP admirer. so what was the problem with the rest you omitted.??

So who are you to demand someone write a fifteen page exposition highlighting the parts you like. Do you really think you are a moderator? Get real. The statement made, as is, is accurate. Get over it. A LOT of people don't like the PTP, and also criticize Herr Suthep and his cronies, the coup, and generally fascist states and states of mind.

Wahhhhh. I am not buying into a stupid "us or them mentality", I am not buying into the "Us or them" idiotic discourse that you are trying to pass off as opinion. I am not buying into Rugby Team and Aussie Rules Football politics. Go back to sports commentary -- at least there you can slug suds with your mites.

Drama queen---first line I never said----- me a moderator I know very well their job is more difficult todays posts than earlier years. Herr Suthep ?? you say--you sound a nice bloke. fascists again my god--- all the rest is bull S33T, and claptrap. who are you defending on here ?? have you a contribution (a fair one) on the topic, or are you just on to collect brownie points.

If you reply at any time and I said something you quote me with all the sentence NOT selected bits to try to enhance you jumbled up post.

So I guess he is going to retire from the Military. Can't possibly do both jobs as P.M and Chief of the Army and it is a conflict of interest. I guess the new P.M will now approve the purchase of those submarines they have been after.

Is it any worse than PM and Minister of Defence? At least the army will listen to him. whistling.gif

• Like 2

To give the General (now PM) and his people their fair due they have done well so far. But, and its a big but, lets see what the future will bring. As Lord Acton said " all power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" This has been proven through history and Thailand will not be an exception. I hope I am wrong.

Year after year 90% of the farangs I know have been anti Shinawat and anti red

They have been pro yellow

Some of them were enjoying visiting demonstrations where they were welcomed with smiles, but they couldn't read "farang go home" in Thai.

They have been pro yellow white Suthep who wanted reforms, the shinawats out again, no election, councils, new constitution, aso.

Same, same, they didn't learn to read any word in thai and couldn't understand Suthep telling "I don't like farangs" on stage.

A total disaster.

Now army in power.

Congratulations to Mister the new Prime Minister. Hope you will be able to do someting positive for your country.

With all respect due to You, I would have one advice for you:

Never listen to the farangs living in Thailand. Only a small minority of them know about culture, history, geography, problems of the people, economics and most of all politics.

• Like 1

The General PM is a stand-up guy who rolls his sleeves up. He obviously has known for many years what he doesn't like about Thailand and what his country has become. The past governments dilly-dally and it takes forever to make changes for the better. This General PM is the best thing that can happen for Thailand. If he doesn't attempt to make big changes, Thailand will just keep going down-hill.

Personally I am happy to know that there are people in Thailand that have a vision for the country and it's much different then what it has become over the years. Each day is exciting now! I look forward to reading the news to see the new changes. I say Congratulations to the newly elected PM. There are many that stand with you in making change for the better. There is much work ahead. Wish the best for you and hope that the improved changes are long lasting.

I applaud your optimism.

But Thailand has been ruled by generals and appointed PM's almost exclusively until 92, they were back in power in 06, wrote the current constitution in 07. etc. no real change here.

The good general in the draft budget has just sharply increased defense spending by 5%, significantly higher than any other type of spending. just like all the other generals that preceded him. Didn't make the news too much want to keep that on the down low. Increased military spending, nationalism, latent anti-westener... I don't see how it is anything different today than it has been for the past decades.

Edited by firestar
  • Like 2

Any tourism data, finance figures, etc will hardly be available for the last 10 weeks. To me it suggests the last lot has to take responsibility for most of the data given

Did I mention Suthep NO---you have him on the brain because the sad in some ways but a hero in others had the power to overthrow and highlight such a strong government with a mandate.--so to your mind everything was on the up until Suthep arrived-to highlight the amnesty to get Thaksin pardoned.-----this data is also available.

So I guess he is going to retire from the Military. Can't possibly do both jobs as P.M and Chief of the Army and it is a conflict of interest. I guess the new P.M will now approve the purchase of those submarines they have been after.

Is it any worse than PM and Minister of Defence? At least the army will listen to him. whistling.gif

Holding two ministerial portfolios in government is not unusual. Holding a major portfolio of Prime Minister and then another outside of the Government like Chief of the Military is totally different.

Here we have this General who is in charge of the Military,

He is now P.M who will appoint a Minister of Defence who he as the Chief of the Military will answer too.

Then on the other hand the Minister of Defence will then answer to the P.M who is also his subordinate but also his superior.

The deneral will need to resign his commission in the Army or become god almighty and answer to no one. He be P.M Minister of Defence and head of the defence force. He will answer to no man and controls all.

It always starts out so nicely, dictators getting shit done and not taking anymore shit from criminals.

But as always happens with every dictatorship in history the real agenda will be revealed - a restricted press, no elections, blatant corruption, disgusting nepotism, an upsurge in nationalism fueled with hatred it is all on its way and it is only a matter of time. People would be begging for the likes of the Shinawatras and Abhisits back in charge if the army were given control of Thailand for the next 10 years.

"a restricted press, no elections, blatant corruption, disgusting nepotism, an upsurge in nationalism fueled with hatred it is all on its way"

So pretty much back to the status quo?

• Like 1

Did I mention Suthep NO---you have him on the brain because the sad in some ways but a hero in others had the power to overthrow and highlight such a strong government with a mandate.--so to your mind everything was on the up until Suthep arrived-to highlight the amnesty to get Thaksin pardoned.-----this data is also available.

Your off-topics rants are barely comprehensible.blink.png

He only answered your post about data not being available, and who he believes is responsible for the bad numbers.

What are you going on about hero, mandate, highlight....??!??