webfact

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sometimes non-democratic governments are better than "democratic" ones."

Examples?

Thailand !!

That's all you can come up with, a three month old military junta that is just beginning to show its true colors? That doesn't really support the claim, does it?

If my country were run by a bunch of extremely corrupt and extremely ineffectual bunch of nasty buffoons, I'd support a coup there too.

A coup to install more extremely corrupt and ineffectual bunch of nasty buffoons that are not accountable to anyone and have no mandate from the people they rule over?

Do expats that post here really have absolutely no clue about Thai history and the corruption of previous military governments?

I do actually. And as someone who went through the coup that kicked out Dubai Shinawatra and subsequent peace this country had in the couple of years the junta was in charge, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

Posts containing hyperbolic comparisons with North Korea have been removed and will continue to be removed. Posts referring to this as a military dictatorship can be construed as negative comments toward the imposition of Martial Law will continue to be removed. The removal of posts in these categories are for the well being of the posters posting this as well as for the safety of this site.

More posts and replies have been removed.

• Like 1

"......extremely corrupt and ineffectual bunch of nasty buffoons that are not accountable to anyone and have no mandate from the people they rule over?"

Would you say that to the General's face?

Of course, the first part of your statement, in blue,could more easily have applied to the last semblance of government Thailand had last year.

So, you're saying he should be afraid to speak his mind about the government. That it is beyond criticism (because it has said so), and therefore should never be questioned or watched for wrongdoing?

I seem to remember people being free to criticise the previous government, and the one before? (and many did)

Your memory is a little distorted, the people criticized the PTP government as it was not governing as sworn in to do so.

Wasn't their name, it was based on the actual NON performance. The difference here is the actual name ARMY.is being criticized for being the army NOT on their performance.

No, the difference is that it was legal to criticize the government before the coup, and it's illegal to criticize it now.

Why put a twist on it ??? speaking about constructive criticism, Not slagging off for the sake of it--give them some space before slagging of their actions, but not to name call and slag off because it is the army. The PTP got it in the neck not so much who they were (like some now endless anti army propaganda) but for their anti democratic governance.

example--Thaksin it was his shin style of dictatorial family run regime. PTP their name -no--it was how they governed. Army with you guys the name...... as they have not had any decent time to show any results, for you to make any assessments yet.

The General is under orders from the coup sponsors.

Who are they?
Research the socio political history of Thailand. It is always the same interest group behind a coup. There is a clue if you look back through some of the General's recent advice, he has already warned not to talk about the group that enjoys privilege and status through their extreme wealth.

So then, who, specifically, are they?

So, you're saying he should be afraid to speak his mind about the government. That it is beyond criticism (because it has said so), and therefore should never be questioned or watched for wrongdoing?

I seem to remember people being free to criticise the previous government, and the one before? (and many did)

Your memory is a little distorted, the people criticized the PTP government as it was not governing as sworn in to do so.

Wasn't their name, it was based on the actual NON performance. The difference here is the actual name ARMY.is being criticized for being the army NOT on their performance.

No, the difference is that it was legal to criticize the government before the coup, and it's illegal to criticize it now.

Why put a twist on it ??? speaking about constructive criticism, Not slagging off for the sake of it--give them some space before slagging of their actions, but not to name call and slag off because it is the army. The PTP got it in the neck not so much who they were (like some now endless anti army propaganda) but for their anti democratic governance.

example--Thaksin it was his shin style of dictatorial family run regime. PTP their name -no--it was how they governed. Army with you guys the name...... as they have not had any decent time to show any results, for you to make any assessments yet.

do their actions include the interim constitution? I would - how do you say it - slag off on them for that.

do their actions include suppression of free speech in Thailand? I would slag off on them for that.

do their actions include hundreds of 'invitations' to attitude readjustment in undisclosed locations with no contact to family and legal council.? I would slag off on them for that.

do their actions include censoring hundreds of web sites and threatening journalists for posing 'aggressive' questions? I would slag off on them for that.

do their actions include an avalanche of LM cases from long before the coup? I would slag off on them for that.

do their actions include supporting the protests against the policies of the last government and then shamelessly plagiarizing those same policies? I would slag off on them for that.

The list is longer, ...

I think they have had 3 months as of tomorrow and have shown plenty of results.

got it yet?

• Like 2

gingag you really need to start replying to posts in coherent sentences that address the post you're replying to. Let's keep this simple, I stated:

"No, the difference is that it was legal to criticize the government before the coup, and it's illegal to criticize it now."

Which part of my statement do you disagree with? The part where I wrote it was legal to criticize the government before the coup? The part where I pointed out that it is now illegal to criticize the government? Or both?

can not reply as my sentences are not coherent so you will not understand them therefore it is useless to reply as my teacher at school was no good. Ha Ha.

Let me be more simple. PTP name was not the reason for their criticism it was the non democratic bad governance that was criticized. ( was that sentence OK ??)

At this time before any evaluation is put on the early performance, the army is criticized because of it's tag=army. ( is that sentence OK)

Where was it written in the law that it was legal re PTP. and where is it written in the law that it's illegal now.??

We are and should be using the word Constructive criticism. the army is talking about disruptive/organized/threatening agenda groups. The way some of you people are talking is we all have a gun at our heads and are not allowed to talk. This is the anti army propaganda that is not wanted in these early days.

Thaksin has just told his followers to go with and support Prayuth. now it's shut a few up hasn't it. (another thread).

do their actions include the interim constitution? I would - how do you say it - slag off on them for that.

do their actions include suppression of free speech in Thailand? I would slag off on them for that.

do their actions include hundreds of 'invitations' to attitude readjustment in undisclosed locations with no contact to family and legal council.? I would slag off on them for that.

do their actions include censoring hundreds of web sites and threatening journalists for posing 'aggressive' questions? I would slag off on them for that.

do their actions include an avalanche of LM cases from long before the coup? I would slag off on them for that.

do their actions include supporting the protests against the policies of the last government and then shamelessly plagiarizing those same policies? I would slag off on them for that.

The list is longer, ...

got it yet?

Now you get this, all your above is against TVF rules as it is classed as bla bla bla. The next thing is read Thaksins post to all his supporters that you seem to be part of as you compare PTP with Prayuth. he says go with the general to help make Thailand better.

What are you lot going to do now, wrap up and go with the flow or be MORE isolated.??

The list is longer, ...

got it yet?

Now you get this, all your above is against TVF rules as it is classed as bla bla bla. The next thing is read Thaksins post to all his supporters that you seem to be part of as you compare PTP with Prayuth. he says go with the general to help make Thailand better.

What are you lot going to do now, wrap up and go with the flow or be MORE isolated.??

re: bla bla bla, I guess you and ruble are birds of a feather

re: thaksin, I don't care what he says or does. IMO he is not important to Thailand becoming a true democracy.

gingag you really need to start replying to posts in coherent sentences that address the post you're replying to. Let's keep this simple, I stated:

"No, the difference is that it was legal to criticize the government before the coup, and it's illegal to criticize it now."

Which part of my statement do you disagree with? The part where I wrote it was legal to criticize the government before the coup? The part where I pointed out that it is now illegal to criticize the government? Or both?

can not reply as my sentences are not coherent so you will not understand them therefore it is useless to reply as my teacher at school was no good. Ha Ha.

Let me be more simple. PTP name was not the reason for their criticism it was the non democratic bad governance that was criticized. ( was that sentence OK ??)

At this time before any evaluation is put on the early performance, the army is criticized because of it's tag=army. ( is that sentence OK)

Where was it written in the law that it was legal re PTP. and where is it written in the law that it's illegal now.??

We are and should be using the word Constructive criticism. the army is talking about disruptive/organized/threatening agenda groups. The way some of you people are talking is we all have a gun at our heads and are not allowed to talk. This is the anti army propaganda that is not wanted in these early days.

Thaksin has just told his followers to go with and support Prayuth. now it's shut a few up hasn't it. (another thread).

"Where was it written in the law that it was legal re PTP. and where is it written in the law that it's illegal now.??"

By your own admission the PTP was criticized and nobody went to jail for that. The junta rules by decree, and one of their earliest decrees was against criticizing their rule.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/22/us-thailand-politics-fear-insight-idUSKBN0GM08L20140822

• Like 1

The list is longer, ...

got it yet?

re: bla bla bla, I guess you and ruble are birds of a feather

re: thaksin, I don't care what he says or does. IMO he is not important to Thailand becoming a true democracy.

Me and Rube ?? not really, but he comes over as stable, and a decent kind of guy. maybe what we have in common is we are trying to be forward thinking rather than rocking the boat so much, sometimes easier to go with the flow even if it is not your cup of tea.

"Where was it written in the law that it was legal re PTP. and where is it written in the law that it's illegal now.??"

By your own admission the PTP was criticized and nobody went to jail for that. The junta rules by decree, and one of their earliest decrees was against criticizing their rule.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/22/us-thailand-politics-fear-insight-idUSKBN0GM08L20140822

You have just cracked the nut, ( criticizing their rule ) as you said, now the difference is constructive criticism of what decisions they are making, is what Prayuth asked for in his televised talk. vast difference especially if it is personal or from known trouble makers etc.

Reading these posts day after day have made me come to realize that there are so many foreigners here in Thailand that really have no place else to call their home. They just continue to complain. They don't even have the sense enough to leave. We too are tired of your complains. We too would like you to be happy with yourself, your life. So please, take the next few days to figure out where would you best fit in this world. You could pack your things or sell them and then just quietly leave. Believe me you will not be missed. Look at it this way, the new PM is cleaning-up all the problem areas, and you are included as part of the clean-up.

• Like 1

Reading these posts day after day have made me come to realize that there are so many foreigners here in Thailand that really have no place else to call their home. They just continue to complain. They don't even have the sense enough to leave. We too are tired of your complains. We too would like you to be happy with yourself, your life. So please, take the next few days to figure out where would you best fit in this world. You could pack your things or sell them and then just quietly leave. Believe me you will not be missed. Look at it this way, the new PM is cleaning-up all the problem areas, and you are included as part of the clean-up.

Wclap2.gifW

Wclap2.gifW

Greetings, ChiangraiTony, there isn't a foreigner in all of Thailand (on this forum), who could have written that piece more eloquently than you have. I completely agree, with your considered opinion, regarding foreigners Regrettably, I've have chosen to finally leave Thailand, mostly because I haven't enjoyed the opportunity to meet Thais like you. I really do love the life that I have made (for myself) in Thailand. Unfortunately, I haven't be able to build a 50/50 "true & open" friendship, with even one Thai adult person person, in my 5-years residency here. Believe me, I have put my best, most positive effort into that endeavor, only to find my only real friends, in a couple of my tutored English students, and one of the neighborhood street dogs. That...is a social tragedy. Thai society has left me drained and "lonely", especially due to being constantly reminded of my designated social position of just the ATM "farang". I am returning to the Americas. Granted, we certainly do have our own domestic problems there, but we a young country (infants), compared to Thailand; a culture that pre-dates both The Greek & Roman Empires. I came to Thailand, as a 66 year-old studentwai.gif ; not as a teacher. Again, that's an excellent piece you wrote. Sorry that we never met in person, during My Thai Sojourn. No doubt, we would have had some interesting debates. Cheers, and best wishes in your future. Sincerely, [email protected]/ coffee1.gif

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Poor ginjag. Here he is trying to argue criticism of the junta is accepted and not illegal, then as if to prove a point the mods write -

Some more posts with comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup have been removed

Some people are just beyond hope. Blindly cheer leading a side is about as scholarly as they can get. More to be pitied than anything but I`ve a feeling many of such people are actually just trolling due to boredom.

I have already moved out of Thailand. However I still continue to visit often because there are people that I care about that really do have no other place to call home (they are Thai).

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Rubbish - farangs are not even on the radar.

"Sometimes non-democratic governments are better than "democratic" ones."

Examples?

Thailand !!

That's all you can come up with, a three month old military junta that is just beginning to show its true colors? That doesn't really support the claim, does it?

Well, it's clearly better than the previous government.

Military (or military backed) governments typically justify their existence using one or more of the following:

1. Someone strong is needed to protect the country from threatening forces (communism, Islamic radicalism, etc.)
  2. Someone strong is needed to prevent the country from descending into civil war
  3. Someone strong is needed end corruption, decadence, and social chaos (a favourite among fascists)

Basically, the 'unique selling proposition' of these governments is that they they bring order and discipline, which can be very seductive to those who have grown tired of disorder and corruption and who are thinking in the short term. But the cost is high because of the repressive measures these governments use to achieve their goals. And almost invariably these governments sink into a decadence and corruption of their own making. I'm not commenting on any government in particular, of course, just highlighting some general trends in history that might be of value to the ra-ra crowd.

Recommended reading: the early years of the Gaddafi regime (reader's digest version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi#Coup_d.27etat_.281969.29)

Addressing the populace by radio, he [Gaddafi] proclaimed an end to the "reactionary and corrupt" regime, "the stench of which has sickened and horrified us all."....

Gaddafi insisted that the Free Officers' coup represented a revolution, marking the start of widespread change in the socio-economic and political nature of Libya.[51] He proclaimed that the revolution meant "freedom, socialism, and unity", and over the coming years implemented measures to achieve this.

The early careers and speeches of certain famous strongmen of the 20th century are also instructive....

• Like 2

A few posts have been removed from view. Please abide by our new forum rule which is in place while we are under martial law:

http://www.thaivisa....ng-martial-law/

Extraordinary events are taking place once again, and it is important that this venue remains a source of reliable and accurate information so that those needing information to keep their families safe and informed are able to do so without finding a forum cluttered up with senseless fighting, rumours and speculation.

For the time being we will have a zero tolerance policy towards:

- Abusive behaviour towards others.

- Rumour mongering, speculation, or other inflammatory posts.

- Political lobbying or propaganda of any kind.

- Abusing the report system.

Posts in violation will be deleted without comment and posting rights removed.

It is time to set aside your bickering and arguments and help keep others informed. We thank you in advance for your co-operation.

wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

The list is longer, ...

got it yet?

You are an old foreigner living in the bush. How much more isolated can you get than that?

You have just cracked the nut, ( criticizing their rule ) as you said, now the difference is constructive criticism of what decisions they are making, is what Prayuth asked for in his televised talk. vast difference especially if it is personal or from known trouble makers etc.

'constuctive criticism'? When was the ban on any criticism lifted?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728255-thai-army-takes-aim-at-media-to-muzzle-dissent/?hl=media

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728815-media-organisations-urge-junta-to-lift-coup-orders-that-restrict-press-freedom/?hl=media

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727561-thai-army-censors-media-as-martial-law-declared/?hl=media

As far as 'cracked the nut' I just referenced an uncensored news source.

If you want constructive criticism, then I must criticize restrictions on freedom of speech, press and association; they are critical for 'real democracy', and also critical to educate and prepare people for democracy.