Have New US Passport? Read this before You Report to Imm.

Frank James

I would like to report another change regarding an Immigration form.

Yesterday I visited Chiang Mai Immigration for my 90 day report armed with my pre-printed TM 47 90 day report form, the type that was downloadable online from Immigration and Thai visa and could be completed on a computer and printed out.

When I handed in my TM 47 form, was told that one no good. The man gave me another TM 47 form to fill out and had to complete the whole form again. The reason is the TM 47 form has been amended with some words added to the Official Use Only section of the form, a sample shown below, the amendments highlighted.

The new amended form has not yet been made available on the Chiang Mai Immigration website or here on Thai visa. If you fill out or print out the old version you will be wasting your time, as they will give the amended version to complete when going for the 90 day report.

My advice is: if visiting Immigration, collect a few of the amended TM 47 forms, fill them out by pen for the next visit until someone decides to make the amended version available for download online.

post-110219-0-41248200-1408644091_thumb.

The new amended form has not yet been made available on the Chiang Mai Immigration website or here on Thai visa. If you fill out or print out the old version you will be wasting your time, as they will give the amended version to complete when going for the 90 day report.

My advice is: if visiting Immigration, collect a few of the amended TM 47 forms, fill them out by pen for the next visit until someone decides to make the amended version available for download online.

The last time a went a few weeks ago the receipt was not torn off as before but printed directly out after they entered my passport details in the computer.

Anyway, I will just add the amended text to the old TM47 .doc using same fonts they use and try and see if that flies. smile.png

The last time a went a few weeks ago the receipt was not torn off as before but printed directly out after they entered my passport details in the computer.

Anyway, I will just add the amended text to the old TM47 .doc using same fonts they use and try and see if that flies. smile.png

Thank you Tywais.

Each time I visit Immigration something changes. What is OK on one occasion can fail the next time.and every one can admit to having different experiences in there. The luck of the draw.

I certainly appreciate Frank James' equanimity and sense of humor. And Tywais #7 post nailed what needs to be done.

It is refreshing to see that not once --- so far!! --- have we seen a "TIT" post! That is astonishing!

Yes, there are rules. Yes, you have to read up on them. They are on the web. But, yes, sometimes it takes some research. This thread has been quite on point IMHO for useful information. The Immigration sites do give you the information, but it takes patience sometimes to suss it out. And the department has not, does not change the rules of the game day-to-day contrary to popular belief. Really !!! biggrin.png

There really is some solid pinned guidance, also on ThaiVisa threads devoted to bureaucratic visa topics.

That leaves the awesome mountain of paper to consider! Seriously, while certainly is slow IMHO, the Immigration Department seems to be making some progress making the system work better. Less paper? Well, not yet! In the meantime, we can all ponder where all that paper goes!

The Immigration site was of no use to me I asked what to do when you make an on line appointment and they do not send you a confirmation. I also asked at the immigration when I went in to do my 90 day they said one will be sent. It had already been a month. I will just go in at the time 9:30 and see if it is there if not maybe get lucky like the guy who went in there in the afternoon with out an appointment and was out of there in about an hour and a half. Seems like no one had an answer.

Afterword:

I am happy to report that today I got the necessary stamps entered in the new passport, and also renewed my one year visa. These are two independent processes requiring stops at two different desks using two different numbers, issued from the counter. Getting the stamps transferred is about the only service that Immigration doesn't charge for, but it seems to take longer to accomplish than any of the paid services. And it does require that you get copies made of EVERY PAGE in your old passport! Why, I don't know, but there it is. I was the first client at the stamps transfer desk, (Desk No. 7) using ticket number 301.As of the noon lunch break, only 5 people had made it through that process.

Getting the one year extension was easy and routine, even without the presence of my wife. It was no different this time than the other four times, and the officer was very cordial and friendly. They love it when you have all of the necessary documents and photo, ready at hand, and it speeds the process for those waiting behind you, shifting from cheek to cheek in those wobbly fiberglass chairs in the waiting room.

Same as it was two days ago, that place is operating at maximum capacity now. They were already telling people to come back next time, by about 10:30, even though they had been given numbers at the door earlier. Getting that first number does not ensure that you will be served today. I must commend the staff there for their professional handling of this crushing overflow crowd. I don't know if it's due to the latest rumblings and rumors of "crackdown", or just because of the large number of foreigners now living in CM, but I have never seen it as crowded as it is, at least this week. Maybe after the famous date of August 29, things will thin out, but I doubt it.

Thanks to all who responded to my posts, even Mr. Owww, who "avoids old American dudes in CM." What can one say to that?

• Like 2

I read the posts quickly and may have missed it, but what did the consulate charge for providing this letter?

I would be surprised beyond belief if you say they did it for free.

No charge. Was included in the $110 USD fee for getting the new passport. wink.png

• Like 1

I read the posts quickly and may have missed it, but what did the consulate charge for providing this letter?

I would be surprised beyond belief if you say they did it for free.

No charge. Was included in the $110 USD fee for getting the new passport. wink.png

Sorry for my late reply. I was rendered unconscious and fell out of my chair after reading your post. biggrin.png