Have New US Passport? Read this before You Report to Imm.

Frank James

On August 20 I arrived at Chiang Mai Immigration via tuk tuk at 6:18 AM. There was already a long line. Took my place in this human chain, almost all the way back to the copy shack. They opened the doors to pass out numbers at 7:00 AM. This is the number to get your real number, as any veteran of the system knows. I was number 83. At about 8:40 I was called to the counter. I was there to get my annual renewal of one year extension based on retirement. I was confident that my papers were all in order.

They were not...

I was told that since I have a new US passport, I would need what they called a “certificate” from the US Consulate. I thought they were referring to the income affidavit, but no, this is simply a form letter, asking the Imm. Dept. to please transfer any necessary stamps from the old passport to the new one. The officer tried to show me a picture of the document on his “smart phone”, but of course it was too small to make out. They said, no problem, here's your number, for a 4:00 PM appointment today. Just go down to ACS and pick up the document, and come back here this afternoon.

Apparently, they are unaware of the online appointment system at ACS. We can't just walk in there any time we want service. They were adamant about the need for this document, so I kept my composure and left the building. Like Rosanne Rosannadanna (Gilda Radner R.I.P.) used to say, “It's always Something.”

I went home and was fortunate to find one appointment still available for the next day at ACS. I went there this morning and got the required document, which I will try to attach to this post. I've had trouble with that function lately, so in case it doesn't work, all it is, is a letter, asking Immigration to please transfer stamps from the old book into the new one.

I'm sure a lot of you “old hands” already know about this letter, and the need to include it with your application, but I'll bet there are a lot more, who, like me, knew nothing about it. It is for all of you that I write this. I will be back in the 6:00 AM lineup tomorrow, slapping away mosquitoes with the rest of the refugees. Maybe I'll see you there.

post-177823-0-54425900-1408600971_thumb.

• Like 1

In my experience in Bangkok, the U.S. Consulate automatically provides the request letter when you pick up or are mailed the new passport book.

When I most recently picked up my new passport in person, the Consulate staff advised me I'd need to bring that document, with my new passport, in order to have my Immigration stamps transferred from my old passport into the new one.

As mentioned, longstanding, established procedure.

Just did my new passport and transfer of information 2 weeks ago and the US consulate supplied me with the letter as matter of course. It was in an envelope along with a caution letter about transferring Visas so perhaps you didn't realize what it was? 3rd passport here now and letter always supplied without asking. When at immigration, I handed my packet of things needed and she asked where was the certificate from the consulate but then she saw I already gave the envelope to her.

Supplied to immigration for the passport information transfer, wasn't sure what was needed as the information was not available on imm website so supplied all of the below:

Immigration form for the transfer, filled already and signed - Transfer stamp to new passport form

Copy of old passport and departure card, all signed

Copy of new passport and departure card (just in case), all signed

Letter of transfer request from the consulate.

She was happy that I had everything in order.

• Like 1

What a complete useless utter waste of time. There is not even a name on the letter. Beaurocracy in its very worst guise

So, "Ref.: Transfer of Visa or Immigration Stamp to new United States Passport" is not clear enough for you as to its purpose? It's called a letter not a form. And which bureaucracy, the Consulate or immigration as immigration is the one requesting it.

FWIW, Frank, my recent passport renewal was my first done in Thailand.

And when I went to pick up my new passport in BKK, the Consulate staff person handing it to me specifically mentioned the Immigration letter and told me what I'd need it for.

Dunno if the Consulate staff in CM have the same practice/custom. But yes, I got that letter along with a bunch of other brochure type stuff from the State Department.

Don't be so hard on yourself! smile.png

Reading what the consulate provides certainly is important. It is too bad that the consulate didn't specifically draw your attention to it. Sometimes everyone is in too much of a hurry!

Otherwise, you seem to have been able to solve the problem, and Thai Immigration didn't make you wait in line again! So, all done (I hope)! The transfer process does take some time. Can't remember if the same officer can also concurrently do the extension. Hang in there!

Edited by Mapguy

Another tip for those getting new passports:

Your retirement visa expires on the same day as your passport - no matter what the expiry date on the visa is.

I went through the stamp transfer bit thinking I still had months to go on the visa because that's what the visa showed.

Immigration lady said oops WE made a mistake. Now YOU have three days to renew your retirement visa (because my old passport didn't expire for three more days). I explained about the appointment requirement at the consulate - no sympathy.

I got it done, but it was a hella scramble.

Now it's all coming back to me...when I went to ACS to pick up my new passport, my mind was in a swirl, because 1.) I was bowled over that the new passport was ready in SIX DAYS; 2.) I was deeply concerned that Rachel and Mike were having relationship difficulties on Suits, Season 4; and 3.) Ray Donovan might get found out for killing that pedophile priest.

That's a lot of deep turmoil to handle, don't you think?? The earnest young man at the Consulate, no doubt a recent graduate from a fine US East Coast Elite University and on the fast track to a long career in the State Dept., did say some things in a sincere, congratulatory tone as he handed me the new passport and that envelope, but I guess I wasn't completely...there.

Lack of "Mindfulness", as the Dalai Lambo might say.

• Like 2

Did Obama's donors extort you for 1500 for the document, Frank?

While I was waiting at immigration I heard an American man say to a European man:

"He still hasn't released his birth certificate".

No joke, he really said that - here in 2014.

Thailander, are you fat, bald, with a bulbous nose and thick glasses? If not, you are not alone.

Oh, the letter is included in the passport fee.

Just did my new passport and transfer of information 2 weeks ago and the US consulate supplied me with the letter as matter of course. It was in an envelope along with a caution letter about transferring Visas so perhaps you didn't realize what it was? 3rd passport here now and letter always supplied without asking. When at immigration, I handed my packet of things needed and she asked where was the certificate from the consulate but then she saw I already gave the envelope to her.

Supplied to immigration for the passport information transfer, wasn't sure what was needed as the information was not available on imm website so supplied all of the below:

Immigration form for the transfer, filled already and signed - Transfer stamp to new passport form

Tywais, you may have just removed another possible fly in the ointment for us, by mentioning another deeply obscure, little-known form---the "Transfer Stamp to New Passport Form." They didn't mention this one at the Immigration Desk yesterday, but I have no doubt if I show up without it they will ask for it. I used your link to print out that form, filled it out, and have added it to my pile of papers. Thank You! The only thing that "threw me" somewhat was the line where it asks WHY one is requesting that the Dept. transfer the stamps from old passport to the new one. (?) All I could come up with was..."To conform with Thailand Immigration requirement." Wrong Answer?????????

Your list does not include the Residence Certificate, the document that verifies where the foreigner is living. I'm sure you had one of those in your package. Also, I see you took the extra step of supplying a NEW Departure Card. Where would you get one of those? And is it necessary?

I went to the little photocopy stand behind Immigration and asked for copies of my old and new passport. The girl proceeded to copy every page of my old passport before I stopped her, saying, "Mai pen rai, krap. Same-same 90 Day Report!" I got a new picture of my hansum self while I was there.

A final thought. Consider that several hundred desperate foreigners come through that building every day. Let's say every one of them generates at least 4 pieces of paper. At the end of a week, with the current volume, you would have easily enough paper to fill a deep six drawer file cabinet. Where does all of that paper go? How long do they keep it? Wherever it is, I'll bet the silverfish/paper beetles are very happy there.

Ah, some clarification needed regarding my post.

1. The actual statement is Because (reason for transfer) Answer, passport expires

2. No residence certificate needed. My list is everything that they required.

3. Departure card. I put on one page a copy of my new passport and the copy of the same departure card I supplied with my old passport. Bit of belts and suspenders but seemed appropriate as the new passport copy needed company. biggrin.png Nice to only have one sheet of paper now for all your passport information.

4. Where does all the paper go? From what I've seen they recycle it through the copy machine as I often get a form and on the back is someone's passport copy or similar. tongue.png

Bottom line, everything I listed is all that was required.

What a complete useless utter waste of time. There is not even a name on the letter. Beaurocracy in its very worst guise

Have to agree with you. I just automatically took my old passport which they had punched three holes in along with my new passport and a bunch of photocopies just to make sure I had every thing covered. I don't know any thing about the letter. Extended it a month later no problem.

Your retirement visa expires on the same day as your passport - no matter what the expiry date on the visa is.

I went through the stamp transfer bit thinking I still had months to go on the visa because that's what the visa showed.

Immigration lady said oops WE made a mistake. Now YOU have three days to renew your retirement visa (because my old passport didn't expire for three more days). I explained about the appointment requirement at the consulate - no sympathy.

I had my Passport renewed last August transferred all the necessary stamps on to the new one and when I went in on the first of October not a problem.

Tywais, you may have just removed another possible fly in the ointment for us, by mentioning another deeply obscure, little-known form---the "Transfer Stamp to New Passport Form." They didn't mention this one at the Immigration Desk yesterday, but I have no doubt if I show up without it they will ask for it. I used your link to print out that form, filled it out, and have added it to my pile of papers. Thank You! The only thing that "threw me" somewhat was the line where it asks WHY one is requesting that the Dept. transfer the stamps from old passport to the new one. (?) All I could come up with was..."To conform with Thailand Immigration requirement." Wrong Answer?????????

Your list does not include the Residence Certificate, the document that verifies where the foreigner is living. I'm sure you had one of those in your package. Also, I see you took the extra step of supplying a NEW Departure Card. Where would you get one of those? And is it necessary?

I went to the little photocopy stand behind Immigration and asked for copies of my old and new passport. The girl proceeded to copy every page of my old passport before I stopped her, saying, "Mai pen rai, krap. Same-same 90 Day Report!" I got a new picture of my hansum self while I was there.

A final thought. Consider that several hundred desperate foreigners come through that building every day. Let's say every one of them generates at least 4 pieces of paper. At the end of a week, with the current volume, you would have easily enough paper to fill a deep six drawer file cabinet. Where does all of that paper go? How long do they keep it? Wherever it is, I'll bet the silverfish/paper beetles are very happy there.

A little bit off topic.

One year I went in for my extension with all the proper paperwork done. After the short interview the fellow turned around opened the top drawer in a filing cabinet and just threw the papers on top of a pile that was already just about to high to close the drawer.tongue.png

I had my Passport renewed last August transferred all the necessary stamps on to the new one and when I went in on the first of October not a problem.

If you kept your retirement O-A visa for two months after the associated passport (#) expired, well you got by with one. I didn't.

I suppose in most cases, they have the passport and visa synced to expire at the same time. If yours isn't, be prepared or be lucky.

If you kept your retirement O-A visa for two months after the associated passport (#) expired, well you got by with one. I didn't.

I suppose in most cases, they have the passport and visa synced to expire at the same time. If yours isn't, be prepared or be lucky.

Just when i thought everything was gonna be all right, now you guys have got me heeby jeeby'in again. My old passport was due to expire at the end of April, 2015. I decided to renew early, because my retirement extension expires next week, Aug 30. Wanted to have the new stamp in the new book, and not be hanging onto a book that has only six months left. It is sometimes difficult to travel on passports with less than six months left, or so I have been told. I wanted a fresh deal with a fresh deck, is what I'm trying to say.

Is this boring enough for you yet? I usually don't even read these long "visa problems" threads because who cares, if it's not your particular problem? I certainly don't, usually. Nevertheless...

So, from what you seem to be saying, on July 31, when my new passport took effect, my 2014 retirement extension became void at that point. Therefore, it seems I am now in an "overstay" situation? Guess I'll find out tomorrow, when I'm sitting at that desk, facing the officer. That's why, as always, I am taking my Good Luck Charm with me, my Beloved Wife, the 150cm stick of dynamite from Phyakhapum Pisai, Maha Sarakham. Deep Isaan! With her devastating smile, quick wit, and winning personality, she has rescued me many times from dangerous situations.

No... your current retirement extension remains valid in your old passport until either a) the expiry date of the passport book it's in, or b] the expiry date of the extension itself, whichever comes first.

So since your current retirement extension will end first on Aug. 30, it will continue to be valid until then, even though it remains in your old passport, since your old passport has yet to expire.

So at this point, it sounds like you probably need to do prior to Aug. 30, both the transfer of your existing stamps in your old passport to your new passport, and probably at the same time, apply for and receive a new retirement extension into your new passport to cover you beyond Aug. 30.

Time is getting short.....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Oh, all of you bright young things are making me feel like the class dumbshite. As a matter of fact, I was given an envelope filled with papers that had writing on it, and it is entirely possible that the document we have been discussing was one of the enclosures. I took a glance at those papers, and then apparently the importance of that document didn't register. I tossed it all out. What an embarrassing thing to have to admit! I HATE MYSELF!

Maybe I can salvage some "face" after all. I can't be the only retiree around here whose mind is addled by too many years of drugs, unwholesome sexual practices, alcohol, Movies and TV, the Southern Baptist Church, and years in American Public Schools. Maybe guys like us should start a support group. My OP was for you, Fellow Sufferer. As Jesus once said, It's not the Healthy Guy that needs a Doctor, but the Sick One does!

If THATS salvaging face...Man, exactly why I avoid old American dudes in CM.

I certainly appreciate Frank James' equanimity and sense of humor. And Tywais #7 post nailed what needs to be done.

It is refreshing to see that not once --- so far!! --- have we seen a "TIT" post! That is astonishing!

Yes, there are rules. Yes, you have to read up on them. They are on the web. But, yes, sometimes it takes some research. This thread has been quite on point IMHO for useful information. The Immigration sites do give you the information, but it takes patience sometimes to suss it out. And the department has not, does not change the rules of the game day-to-day contrary to popular belief. Really !!! biggrin.png

There really is some solid pinned guidance, also on ThaiVisa threads devoted to bureaucratic visa topics.

That leaves the awesome mountain of paper to consider! Seriously, while certainly is slow IMHO, the Immigration Department seems to be making some progress making the system work better. Less paper? Well, not yet! In the meantime, we can all ponder where all that paper goes!

Hello Frank James, once again. Relax! Local TV CM denizens are getting you unnecessarily upset!

You wrote:

Just when i thought everything was gonna be all right, now you guys have got me heeby jeeby'in again. My old passport was due to expire at the end of April, 2015. I decided to renew early, because my retirement extension expires next week, Aug 30. Wanted to have the new stamp in the new book, and not be hanging onto a book that has only six months left. It is sometimes difficult to travel on passports with less than six months left, or so I have been told. I wanted a fresh deal with a fresh deck, is what I'm trying to say.

You were bang on doing it that way! Yes, basically universally , six months remaining on a passport creats a problem for matters like long-stay annual visas. That makes sense, doesn't it ? Otherwise, how could anyone possibly asume that you could do anything in Immigration without some kind of application form! And that's universal! biggrin.png

Frank James: I was in the same situation as you. I didn't have a 90-day report due before my extension renewal date so I just waited until the time to do my extension and they automatically stamped a reference to the original visa, the one-year extension and the multiple re-entry permit in my new passport. It was done at Major Hollywood in Bangkok.