Thai tour guides’ latest complaint over Russian workers falls on deaf ears

Rimmer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troll posts nit picking the language in a previous post removed please do not attempt to hijack this topic with further posts of this nature.

A public warning has already been made about this the next one will be personal. thank you.

post removed under forum rule 7)

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

A clear case of the market deciding. Why would a non English speaking Russian want to go on a tour with a Thai guide who speaks rudimentary English and no Russian?

I have to say I admire the Russian no nonsense approach. Give the people what they want and deal with the rules as they come up. Go to Harats, the Russian owned Irish bar in Jomtien. Not one thai working there. The barmen are Russian. How do they get away with it? I don't know but they do.

Pity the rest of the expat population don't have the cojones to do the same. It might make the Thais buck up their ideas of service. Buddha help them when Asean comes into force and the Phillipino's join the workforce.

Going to a bar where the music is played for the tastes of the customers not the staff would be a good start. I know some do and those are the ones where I spend my money but wouldn't it be nice if there was more bars doing this?

Yes the music is generally terrible. I have a list of bars I go to and avoid based on the music. I don't mind the repetitive pop dance stuff as much as the slowed down already-slow soft rock who knows where they found.

If work permits can only be given to people who can do a job that a thai cannot

Than every faring can get a Work Permit thumbsup.gif

Not for driving taxis and stuff like that

I know what u r saying

I just wonder if these your guides have the work permits or are doing on tourist visas

Most of them probably legit but some of them had better watch out

Make no mistake about it, the Russians have definitely got their acts (totally) together (across-the-board) in Thailand, FYI. Just in case, all you other western farangs haven't been paying attention, for the past 5-years. Russian men are even smart enough to bring their own (Russian) women with them. And, they keep to themselves, as well. Very smartcoffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

I don't believe it, this guy is saying openly that it is alright to break the law in employing Russian tour guides. I would be pretty sure that these Russians do not have work permits. TIT

deleted post

So you reckon that it is OK for a senior police officer to break the law when it suits him? You either have laws or you don't! And for you to come down on Mot Dang with your diatribe is totally out of order. Italian mafia capiche?

Then having a Russian tour guide for Russians does make sense unless the Thai can speak Russian

As long as the Conpany does employ 5 thai staff and pays it's taxes

4 Thai staff not 5 and no way in hell a Thai can speak good enough Russian to guide people.

Learn a few words in Russian and see if Russians understand it

And those 4 Thais required to be hired by Thai Law, will do the (half-arsed) janitorial work, including one Thai, who cooks the (Russian-styled) Thai food dishes. Re: learning to speak Russian, would be an effort in futility. Russians will absolutely not converse with anyone, who is not a citizen of a former Soviet satellite nation. In fact, they will probably make a point of remembering your face, for future reference. They are far from being stupid people. Respect that! The Russians (in Cambodia, Myanmar Thailand & Vietnam) have definitely earned it. coffee1.gif

I don't believe it, this guy is saying openly that it is alright to break the law in employing Russian tour guides. I would be pretty sure that these Russians do not have work permits. TIT

Refer back to the earlier thread that says "Thai nominee companies in Pattaya etc. etc"

I think this is exactly what the Thai authorities have in mind and will crack down hard on.

I reckon we will see a mass exodus of Russian "businessmen" and the hangers on soon.

People seem to forget about the initial focus on the back to back visa runs and what have you. Russians were one of the targets there.

The first high profile "tourist" story involved a Russian lady

We can jokingly say the Thai mafia don't like competition but I think we will see a major shift in the entertainment/tourist business industry in the very near future.

Than every faring can get a Work Permit thumbsup.gif

Actually, I think the law should read " A work permit will be given to any

nationality that can do a job properly that a Thai cannot" Work Permits for all :-)

A flame post, replies to that and an off topic post removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

About time a thai stood up for a foreigner trying to do a service for this country. Well done col. maybe you can lead by example, and others may follow.

clap2.gif

There is a small difference with doing the country a service and using it for profit

I know we pay tax which goes into the government but making a business that has great service for your customers to benefit your pockets does not have the same objective as doing the country of thailand a service

Personally I reckon these very rich foreigners should buy land between them to build free parks for the public

Yes charge for parking small fee to ell cover mantaince costs

But with all this building it is important to protect the surrounding place

For example lumpini park is a great place for joggers

For people to brig their kids and more

Also if built strategically then the locations can be able to push away compitition

<snip>

Go to Harats, the Russian owned Irish bar in Jomtien. Not one thai working there. The barmen are Russian. How do they get away with it? I don't know but they do.

<snip>

Perhaps the Thai staff are on permanent holiday?

You may actually be on to something. The thai paid Staff is simply paid told not to show up. 300 baht per day for not going to work. They are on books,Quotas are met. Taxes and social security paid. If this establishment can afford to do that, it might be a good business formula for others to consider.

I don't see why the tour companies could not do something similar, unless their profits margins are too thin.

Horrible, horrible, horrible idea.

I think you're opening up a whole can of worms you don't want if you do something like that. Once the Thai officials figure out what's going on the requirements for getting a work visa will double and triple and they'll be packing their friends and relatives into jobs that don't require them to show up (with the Thai official taking a cut of their wages).

<snip>

Go to Harats, the Russian owned Irish bar in Jomtien. Not one thai working there. The barmen are Russian. How do they get away with it? I don't know but they do.

<snip>

Perhaps the Thai staff are on permanent holiday?

You may actually be on to something. The thai paid Staff is simply paid told not to show up. 300 baht per day for not going to work. They are on books,Quotas are met. Taxes and social security paid. If this establishment can afford to do that, it might be a good business formula for others to consider.

I don't see why the tour companies could not do something similar, unless their profits margins are too thin.

Horrible, horrible, horrible idea.

I think you're opening up a whole can of worms you don't want if you do something like that. Once the Thai officials figure out what's going on the requirements for getting a work visa will double and triple and they'll be packing their friends and relatives into jobs that don't require them to show up (with the Thai official taking a cut of their wages).

Welcome to the real world, for heaven' sake. The corruption level in Thailand is "kindergarten", compared to the west. It doesn't get more laid back than Thailand. Those Russians know how to play the Asian game, according to the Asian rules. Again, I salute them for their brilliance, and their level of collective solidarity.coffee1.gif I suppose the forum moderator will arbitrarily choose to delete this adult oriented post, alswhistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

Best ever statement made by top brass chief police. Another chance missed by thai clowns to keep quiet and learn the russian language instead of barking.

I'm sure learning to speak Russian to a prolific level is a Walk in the Vladiischiparkskikus.

Edited by Deacon Bell
  • Like 1

Forget the General, I think Police Chief Col. Supathee Bungkhrong should become the new PM.

TBH I cannot see him lasting much longer, the total failure to address or complete the process of MB taxi reform - beach scams and cleanup etc etc

Pattaya has always been full of meetings and proposed actions but they are always left either unfinished or never get beyond the discussion table

There just seems to be a complete unwillingness for authorities in Pattaya to actually take action, what's needed here is the transfer of the hard hitters that are working their way through Phuket to take on Pattaya, I have no doubt that the first thing that would happen would be the rolling of a few senior heads in local administration

Surely the new PM can see what is going on here - absolutely nothing - only talking and inaction

It's time someone got drafted into Pattaya as it's pretty obvious the local administration are part of the problem if not the whole problem

You blokes keep moaning and complaining about ALL the things that are WRONG with Thailand, and Thai people, as if you were working-class, tax-paying citizens of this country. If your life is so complicated, and tiresome in Thailand, then why are you still here? You are welcome & free to return to that paradise of a country, were you come from. Or, you can just go to Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam, to get your Non-Immigrant "O" Retirement Visas, if you believe Thailand is so bad? The internal politics, and the system of things in this country, is absolutely none of your business. Your own Embassy will advise you well, regarding the virtues of being a wise "guest", in this Kingdom. It does't get better than Thailand, anywhere else in SE Asia. Grow-up, for heaven' sake! coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

deleted post

So you reckon that it is OK for a senior police officer to break the law when it suits him? You either have laws or you don't! And for you to come down on Mot Dang with your diatribe is totally out of order. Italian mafia capiche?

I reiterate. The Russians are collectively the smartest "farangs" in Thailand. They bring their own (Russian) women, when they come to reside in Thailand. Very wise indeedclap2.gif

Edited by NativeSon360
  • Like 1

Forget the General, I think Police Chief Col. Supathee Bungkhrong should become the new PM.

TBH I cannot see him lasting much longer, the total failure to address or complete the process of MB taxi reform - beach scams and cleanup etc etc

Pattaya has always been full of meetings and proposed actions but they are always left either unfinished or never get beyond the discussion table

There just seems to be a complete unwillingness for authorities in Pattaya to actually take action, what's needed here is the transfer of the hard hitters that are working their way through Phuket to take on Pattaya, I have no doubt that the first thing that would happen would be the rolling of a few senior heads in local administration

Surely the new PM can see what is going on here - absolutely nothing - only talking and inaction

It's time someone got drafted into Pattaya as it's pretty obvious the local administration are part of the problem if not the whole problem

its called lip service

A clear case of the market deciding. Why would a non English speaking Russian want to go on a tour with a Thai guide who speaks rudimentary English and no Russian?

I have to say I admire the Russian no nonsense approach. Give the people what they want and deal with the rules as they come up. Go to Harats, the Russian owned Irish bar in Jomtien. Not one thai working there. The barmen are Russian. How do they get away with it? I don't know but they do.

Pity the rest of the expat population don't have the cojones to do the same. It might make the Thais buck up their ideas of service. Buddha help them when Asean comes into force and the Phillipino's join the workforce.

Going to a bar where the music is played for the tastes of the customers not the staff would be a good start. I know some do and those are the ones where I spend my money but wouldn't it be nice if there was more bars doing this?

Tell me about it. Asking nicely (after purchasing a dozen or more drinks)if they can play my compilation CD of classic rock, Led Zep, Clash, REM, Beatles etc. only to have the volume turned down or stopped entirely and CD returned to yours truly. Chek-bin please (for the final time). Out I go and on goes the vile dance pop at top volume. I thought it only happened to me...555

I do not blame them!! Was in a bar once when the same thing happened. Farang produced a CD and asked for it to be played. The staff obliged and put it on. One minute later 6 people swarmed into the bar claiming their music being played without license. Poor bar owner was scammed 50,000 baht. She could not pay because it was only a small bar so they took her wedding ring!! She closed the bar the next day.

Finally people on this forum know that Russian and Chinese are the cause of all the visa crackdown ? Or is it still illegal to tell the truth ?

English teachers on tourist visa do not steal the job of anyone, as anyone else is too retarded to speak our language correctly !

FYI- English teachers, working in any country on this planet, while still on "Tourist Visa"status, are working illegally. The Thai government generally looks the other way, on that issue. Period! The topic issue (that you've apparently missed) was concerning Russian Tour Service Operators, competing against the (generally incompetent) Thai Tour Operators, who can neither speak Russian, nor English (to Chinese tourists). The Thai Operators filed a formal complaint to the Thai Immigration Police, who ready dismissed them as being "unprepared" to provide the services required by the ever increasing Russian & Chinese tourist markets. Apparently, the Thai Operators do not possess the cognitive processing skills to recognize that their country is in the process of changing (upgrading) itself, in preparation for the coming A,S.E.A.N. (AEP) event of 2015. Those Macho Thai "poor babies" had better wise-up, and get themselves some serious education. PRONTO! The Russians are really an "early-warning" wake-up call, for the ever sleeping Thais,coffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360