Sunloungers!

Hi Guys,

I am in need of a quantity of sunloungers for our resort - the woven plastic rattan type. Have so far had a bad experience - the last lot had to be binned after 6 months as they rusted to oblivion.

I have found a good supplier in China but wondered if anyone had recommendations of a good supplier within Thailand?

Thanks for any feedback

Lob

Almost every plastic rattan chair I've seen has been in trouble. Mostly due to the plastic cracking. My neighbors table and chair set lasted 9 months before the plastic completely cracked off one side of the table. The side facing the sun. But they only got sun for a few hours a day. I think they paid 20,000B for the set. Ridiculous.

You've obviously experienced the bane of beach life......RUST.

I'm at the end stages....finishing up....building a boutique resort. and am thinking of all wood lounges with pads on top. Rust problem solved

attachicon.gifwood lounge.jpg

Yes...to a degree. The wooden ones do need regular maintenance. If you don't buy pre-treated (going to add a fair amount to your shopping bill) about every 6-12 months depending on their usage you will need to sand, stain and varnish. Also make sure that the "stand" structure is made of the same wood. I have had some "cheaper" versions of these for 4 years. All 4 have eventually had the wooden "stand" structure rebuilt as it was poorly put together, etc. It is actually worth reinforcing this on purchase with some extra screws. A quick coat of varnish on delivery will also buy you some time.

I was lucky enough to get hold of some European boat varnish and that lasted 2 years before we had to strip back, stain and varnish them again!

Edited by draftvader

I'm at the end stages....finishing up....building a boutique resort. and am thinking of all wood lounges with pads on top. Rust problem solved

Yes...to a degree. The wooden ones do need regular maintenance. If you don't buy pre-treated (going to add a fair amount to your shopping bill) about every 6-12 months depending on their usage you will need to sand, stain and varnish. Also make sure that the "stand" structure is made of the same wood. I have had some "cheaper" versions of these for 4 years. All 4 have eventually had the wooden "stand" structure rebuilt as it was poorly put together, etc. It is actually worth reinforcing this on purchase with some extra screws. A quick coat of varnish on delivery will also buy you some time.

I was lucky enough to get hold of some European boat varnish and that lasted 2 years before we had to strip back, stain and varnish them again!

I agree....maintenance is important, for EVERYTHING. But have to start with quality first! I am having all the furniture custom built by a friend ...his bid for the lounges (all No. 1 wood) is 3000/baht each,..... so not so that expensive.

• Like 1

I agree....maintenance is important, for EVERYTHING. But have to start with quality first! I am having all the furniture custom built by a friend ...his bid for the lounges (all No. 1 wood) is 3000/baht each,..... so not so that expensive.

Have you bought 1 or 2 extra? Will just mean that you can rotate and ensure they all get regular maintenance without depriving your guests of the facility.

• Like 1

Have you bought 1 or 2 extra? Will just mean that you can rotate and ensure they all get regular maintenance without depriving your guests of the facility.

Good point ....but its a boutique resort (small 5 units) so really don't have the room for extra's...maintenance will generally take place in the off season so should be no inconveince to guests!

• Like 1

Good point ....but its a boutique resort (small 5 units) so really don't have the room for extra's...maintenance will generally take place in the off season so should be no inconveince to guests!

That should do it. If you schedule yearly thorough maintenance for each unit then you will be blocking out a few days anyway. Sounds like you've got it covered. Being that it is a friend you should be good for getting rebuilds if you need them in the future too. Does the friend want a regular "maintenance" retainer? That would be cool...nice to not have to do the work!

That should do it. If you schedule yearly thorough maintenance for each unit then you will be blocking out a few days anyway. Sounds like you've got it covered. Being that it is a friend you should be good for getting rebuilds if you need them in the future too. Does the friend want a regular "maintenance" retainer? That would be cool...nice to not have to do the work!

I actually enjoy doing the maintenance, so no need for the extra expense (built and refinished furniture when I was young)

Was thinking of having lounge pads on top.... ....thats a different story. Any ideas as to the best fabrics for the pads?

I actually enjoy doing the maintenance, so no need for the extra expense (built and refinished furniture when I was young)

Was thinking of having lounge pads on top.... ....thats a different story. Any ideas as to the best fabrics for the pads?

Plastic is uncomfortable, perishes quickly and collects the water when it rains. If you are to use a cloth covered pad then make sure it is removable and use cheap foam to pad. Then you can wash the covers regularly and change the pads when you need to. My wife (set designer in a previous life) recommends canvas (makes sense).

• Like 1

The best fabric for out in the sun is Sunbrella, which is what all the boats (including my own) use for their awnings and seat covers. Awfully expensive but will last for years out in direct sun, nothing else will.

Funny you should mention "sunbrella"....I have a 4 meter by 5 meter piece that I brought from the states to use for an awning. But I like the idea of using it for the Pads.....THANKS!

Problem with the lounger in the Photo, is it's dated and old fashioned, if I was thinking of visiting a Boutique resort , and spotted the wooden lounger, I would be like oh yes, nice lounger NOT..

Surely there must be better options, I have seen some real trendy eye appealing ones in some nice resorts..

Just my two cents worth..

Problem with the lounger in the Photo, is it's dated and old fashioned, if I was thinking of visiting a Boutique resort , and spotted the wooden lounger, I would be like oh yes, nice lounger NOT..

Surely there must be better options, I have seen some real trendy eye appealing ones in some nice resorts..

Just my two cents worth..

Appreciate your input.....Since wood is the material of choice you indicated that you have "seen some real trendy eye appealing ones"....photos by chance?

The curved ones I've seen are eye appealing but extremely uncomfortable....

post-190189-0-14924500-1408947016_thumb.

Edited by beachproperty

The best fabric for out in the sun is Sunbrella, which is what all the boats (including my own) use for their awnings and seat covers. Awfully expensive but will last for years out in direct sun, nothing else will.

Wow, that looks perfect. Wonder if it will be expensive/a pain to get to Thailand though? I note they have representation in China...

My first post so I would like to make it a helpful one. Do not varnish because in the sun it will peal. Use Teak oil and you will only need to recoat without stripping the previous coat. I used to work for a company supplying varnishes and french polish so understand wood a little.

Thanks for that. Good to get some different thinking on it. That certainly would make the maintenance simpler. Any rough timescales?

WOW,,,,,did you see the prices of the items ....minimum 15000 baht....and that did not include the shipping and tea money to thailand customsw00t.gif

For ideas ...great ....thank-you...

For buying ....I'll beg off for now ...as I can get the same in Thailand much cheaper and more solid ....REALLY!thumbsup.gif

My first post so I would like to make it a helpful one. Do not varnish because in the sun it will peal. Use Teak oil and you will only need to recoat without stripping the previous coat. I used to work for a company supplying varnishes and french polish so understand wood a little.

Do you happen to know the THAI term for TEAK OIL?

Some people think different about that.

http://teakpatiofurnitureworld.com/should-you-treat-teak-patio-furniture-with-teak-oil/

Don’t Use Teak Oil On Outdoor Teak Furniture

Teak outdoor furniture does not need any special treatments or oils to last for decades. Treating your furniture with teak oil will not help extend the life of the furniture. All it will do is make the teak wood dependent on continuous reapplications of oil to prevent the wood from drying out. Teak furniture that gets oiled is more likely to have mildew growth and may have problems of uneven coloring when it ages. The natural oil that exists below the surface of the wood is already sufficient to protect it from the elements.

There are different grades of the woven plastic.

In Baan Tawai one shop whcih sells the good one leaves their displays out in the sun constantly.

I found it not possible to get soemthing looking good and (hopefully) durable on the cheap....they cost money.

Their fault is they used SS whcih allows slight surface rusting.

It only needs a wipe with wire wool occasionally, but would have preferred without the bother.

I would NEVER consider painted or varnished wood, only bare decent quality teak whcih needs rubbing down occasionally to maintain it's looks (it will mostly look various states of bleached). Trouble is then you need cushions.....and THEY will deteriorate.

Whcih is why I finally spent the money for better quality acrylic rattan.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app