Local hospital reviews here

jackvale

Don't forget that if you have time, you can plan and go to somewhere like the Bumrungrad in Bangkok. I went there for an operation and was very pleased with the result and the bill. They have an 'International Department' who are very good at sorting everything out and you can book a visit from abroad as I did once.

Yes agree if you have time and can plan,you can also book from abroad (Thailand) and have anything and everything done at a fraction of Thailand's pricing. Mine was less than 1/20th and fantastic service.

Airfare $230 Oh! forgot India

Edited by loppylugs1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Bkk Pattaya,been there once and very happy with the experience.My 8 days there was covered through insurance and my insurance company said I should use only Bkk Pattaya

(years ago I`ve been twice to Bkk Phuket.....same terms and same positive experience) thumbsup.gif

What insurance u got?

An insurance company in my home country(Norway). Covered for 10 million in medical expenses and also medical flight back home in severe cases . A good deal for 3.500 Baht yearly premium.

1.Bkk Pattaya,been there once and very happy with the experience.My 8 days there was covered through insurance and my insurance company said I should use only Bkk Pattaya

(years ago I`ve been twice to Bkk Phuket.....same terms and same positive experience) thumbsup.gif

What insurance u got?
An insurance company in my home country(Norway). Covered for 10 million in medical expenses and also medical flight back home in severe cases . A good deal for 3.500 Baht yearly premium.
But thats short time travel insurance nit good for long stays

What insurance u got?

I`ve previously had longer stays on the same insurance.It then gets more expensive (3.000 baht) pr.month and the same coverage still applies,which is a small price to pay.What shocks me most is the big amount of longstayers down here who has a cheap insurance who in most cases implies that you fork out the money to the hospital and later gets reinbursed.The good hospitals here aren`t cheap and most people here doesn`t have hundreds of thousands of baht in tthe bank.

What insurance u got?

I`ve previously had longer stays on the same insurance.It then gets more expensive (3.000 baht) pr.month and the same coverage still applies,which is a small price to pay.What shocks me most is the big amount of longstayers down here who has a cheap insurance who in most cases implies that you fork out the money to the hospital and later gets reinbursed.The good hospitals here aren`t cheap and most people here doesn`t have hundreds of thousands of baht in tthe bank.

Yeh thats me.

I stay over year here and no insurance.

Well i got one from bank card it comes with bupa...

One guy before mentioned direct club

Looks good

Backpacker insurance for year £369

Guys I just back from BPH, my gf is 12 weeks pregnet, It was as 2nd visit, USG + they took her blood for check for down syndrom + tab of vitamins and tab of folicid acid = 8760 THB

Can someone who went through pregnancy tell me how is done, whats tests etc? what should i know?

Its like u have to go for usg every month right, so is it that expensive every time or then cost going down?

first time usg and blood sample we paid around 4200

today over 8k, that down syndrome test was almost 5000 and usg on bill 2700

there was also sums 190 for nurse and 400 for doctor

baby is 6cm and it was moving a lot on screen smile.png

Edited by mataleo

My GF is 12 weeks pregnant and we're using Pattaya Memorial. As she's only 24 I'm not sure if a test for Down's is necessary. Will we be offered one or is it assumed? She has an appointment on 25 Sept.

my gf is 28

u can ask them for it

we never asked

doc said today we usg and check down syndrome, gf said they took huge blood sample

chromosomes divide incorrectly by accident, not because of anything the parents have done. Some people think that only older women can have a baby with Down’s syndrome, but this isn't true. Anyone can have a baby with Down’s syndrome, but the risk increases with age. The older a woman is, the more likely she is to have a baby with the condition.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/screening-amniocentesis-downs-syndrome.aspx#close

The first trimester combined test, which is done in two steps, includes:

• Blood test. This blood test measures the levels of pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) and the pregnancy hormone known as human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG). Abnormal levels of PAPP-A and HCG may indicate a problem with the baby.
  • Ultrasound. Ultrasound is used to measure a specific area on the back of your baby's neck. This is known as a nuchal translucency screening test. When abnormalities are present, more fluid than usual tends to collect in this neck tissue.

Using your age and the results of the blood test and the ultrasound, your health care provider can estimate your risk of having a baby with Down syndrome.

Edited by petercool
use of red colour type

• 3 weeks later...

got overcharged at BPH - 2.700 for international calls (not used the phone at all), double pricing in medicamentation, nurses, doctors and room were great though, food awful

the problem is there is no other propper option in Pattaya, Sri Racha ok but not convenient, Samitivej and Phyathai get better reviews, highso Thais go there instead of BPH, even they belong to the same group/owner they seem to be better managed

got another story from BPH - got to take medicine on a daily basis for a couple of months, last month the bill was THB 8.000 - this month for exactly identical medicine THB 18.000 !!! My question why - was answered that I have changed my insurance company (from LMG International/Thai to CIGNA/CH since 09/2014) and that intern. insurances got a higher price!!! 10.000 Baht difference per month only for me - I dont want to know how many millions they are cheating out of all the int. insurances

Even after my complaint to the supervisor of the Administartion they continued that way "differrent contract" - unbelievable, as Cigna confirmed/coffered the receipt directly I just signed and left. Later I send an email to Cigna concerning this issue and waiting for their feedback....

Just imagine somthing like that would hapen in the developed world.....

Keep you updated

Edited by MrJ
  • Like 1

got another story from BPH - got to take medicine on a daily basis for a couple of months, last month the bill was THB 8.000 - this month for exactly identical medicine THB 18.000 !!! My question why -

All hospitals here seem to overcharge for medicines. Solution? Buy elsewhere.

Only if your medicine is something that is only sold in hospital pharmacies (unlikely) will it not be possible to buy it elsewhere, and I found that the hospitals regularly charge up to 8 times more than pharmacies for the same items.

Different pharmacies also often have very different prices for the same things.

• Like 1

Different pharmacies also often have very different prices for the same things.

but it was the same pharmacy counter in the very same hospital..........

I'm sure it was, and I'm equally sure that it was for the reason you suggested: the insurance is paying so why not charge more? Hospitals seem to do this all the time here which is one reason why I think that insurance can be poor value; the premiums may be based on higher costs than you would incur if you were paying for yourself.

I was just pointing out that on top of that rip-off the cost of medicine here also varies enormously depending on where you buy it.

I lived for 30+ years in a country where the prices of all medicines are fixed by law regardless of the supplier, and where a hospital or clinic would never charge two different prices for the same medical treatment, regardless of who is paying. In fact it would be a crime to do so. It's very different here.