How do I tell a waiter I want to take home the food on my plate that's left over?

RichardThailand

I tried "take out" and I heard the waiter walk around repeating the words trying to find someone who knew what they meant. Unfortunately nobody understood and my tasty leftovers didn't come back to me.

What can I say and would it be different if a girl or a guy asked ?

Thanks in advance for help.

Ow bi sai tung (the 'u' is pronounced as in the 'u' in "khun"...I literally can't think where to find that sound in English!) Khrap

Its crass but it works. Want go plastic bag.... I must sound like a toddler when I speak Thai!

Looking forward to a better answer....if nobody comes along with one then join me in toddler Thai!

Edited by draftvader

If the food is on the plate, just point at it and say "a ni sai toong glab baan kap" This one put in a bag and I'll take it home - it's our equivalent of "put it in a doggy bag".

If you want it in a box, substitute toong for glaawng.

That's what the Thais say.

Different at McD's or similar. Just say "glab baan" which by inference means you'll take it home/take out.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Easy to Spot Freakin Teachers Here. Total Overkill as usual. Just Point. Ne.. Pi Barn.. Job Done, half the severs are Lao Thai or Burmese anyway..

Easy to spot the guys who can't be bothered learning the language of the country they live in. Let me guess, you let your gf or wife do all the talking?

And what on earrth is "ne pi barn". Do you mean "nee bpai baan"? Do you want to sound like a 3 year old?

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

And what on earrth is "ne pi barn". Do you mean "nee bpai baan"? Do you want to sound like a 3 year old?

It's perfectly intelligible slapdash. And I note you didn't commit yourself on the tones - [F]nii [M]pai [F]baan.

As for the level of diction, I suppose it's KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), which makes a lot of sense if one's Thai is poor.

'ao gap baan' เอากลับบ้าน

I think ไส่กล่อง (sai(l) klong(l)) is just as popular as ไส่ถู่ง , but the usual result is that they put it in one of those horrible foam containers.

^ or this, are the 2 most common ways Thais say it, while pointing.

"aow klab ban" isn't exactly high level Thai and not showing off at all, unlike farangs who claims they can speak "Hi Thai/Kings style" (whatever that is), certainly made me cringe.

If your Thai Lao involves lots of grunting, I wonder how your standard Thai is? Involves a lot of squealing perhaps?

The Thai/Lao (Isan) that I know certainly doesn't contain any grunting. But a farang saying "ni, pai ban" would certainly sound like some retard, so might as well try to say it more correctly. After all it still involves 3 syllable.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

Especially if a person's Thai is not good it may be best to just say "sai toong" not much room for error and whether you are taking it home or to the office is not any interest to them. This will result in it getting put into a bag so they will do that and give it to you.

• Like 1

Dont know about anything , but the locals take the piss out of "Ferangs Preppy" Sound. 25 years here and ive dropped that beginners over emphasis.I use it to communicate not a technical exercise.I had Teachers here ask me why Thai smirk when they speak.Well its just like when we get a Brit on Holiday back Home...Listen to Holiday Portuguese or Spanish.It Grates on the Ears.Just copy the Locals intonation and dont be pedantic. As for BKK Thai for example they say Durm Nam whilst most say Kin Nam. How one Eats water has always made me titter..

Especially if a person's Thai is not good it may be best to just say "sai toong" not much room for error and whether you are taking it home or to the office is not any interest to them. This will result in it getting put into a bag so they will do that and give it to you.

At least Harry isnt a pontificator. Good Reply..thumbsup.gif

"sai tung" will of course also be understood that you want to take it with you. Except of course that they often will put it in a foam box for you instead. This is the norm for rice dishes. Only noodles will be put in plastic bags.

Alternative is of course to tell them to put it in a box, "sai klong" ใส่กล่อง.

Remember you say "Sai toong" to get them to put the food in a bag to take home.

You point the waitress to say "Ma Bahn" and if you are lucky she goes with you and the food.

At home when she says "Sai toong" you do not put the waitress in a bag.

Ok I think this topic has done it's dash, as the question was answered on the previous page and is now getting silly, so I'm going to lock the topic.

Also as a quick point of reference, Mole is Thai, as are some of the other contributors here, so questions about Thai aren't necessarily "Lessons from Farang". Although of course many of us who reply are Farang, as we all try to help each other :)