Thailand 'most Risky Place For Holidaymakers'

udon

but do take Cravit and Imodium at the first sign of diarrhea.

That's bad advice. You should only take imodium if you are travelling. If you just take it at the first sign of the dribbles you are blocking up the system and keeping the nasty little buggers inside you. Better let nature take it's course and shit it all out. JUst make sure you drink extra fluid to prevent dehydration.

Edited by Kananga

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Thailand wants to shake it's image as a third world country its going to have to improve it's food safety standards...or at least enforce them.

Tourist don't want to be told that they have to avoid drinking the water, avoid eating fresh uncooked vegetables, avoid street vendors, avoid anything raw etc. It sends the message that there is something "wrong" with the food in Thailand.

You would be surprised how many tourist avoid countries where they think they might get sick from eating local food. Smart traveller know that nothing ruins a holiday like having to spend a couple of painful days hunched over a toilet in the john of a 5 star hotel bathroom

Food hygene is not rocket science. It involves simple steps to ensure that the food is safe to eat and that restaurants and food servers are clean.

Until the government gets serious about enforcing already existing laws on food hygene, don't be surprised to find some tourist making a detour around Thailand.

On a plus note I have heard that the charcoal pills may prevent being drugged in a bar and Cravit certainly knocks out most minor social diseases.

Great man! I've got a terrible problem with kleptomania, halitosis and weed. If I try Cravit, do you think it'll cure me? :o

If Thailand wants to shake it's image as a third world country its going to have to improve it's food safety standards...or at least enforce them.

Tourist don't want to be told that they have to avoid drinking the water, avoid eating fresh uncooked vegetables, avoid street vendors, avoid anything raw etc. It sends the message that there is something "wrong" with the food in Thailand.

You would be surprised how many tourist avoid countries where they think they might get sick from eating local food. Smart traveller know that nothing ruins a holiday like having to spend a couple of painful days hunched over a toilet in the john of a 5 star hotel bathroom

Food hygene is not rocket science. It involves simple steps to ensure that the food is safe to eat and that restaurants and food servers are clean.

Until the government gets serious about enforcing already existing laws on food hygene, don't be surprised to find some tourist making a detour around Thailand.

About food handling being rocket science the problems I see would be very difficult to solve. The expenditure would be immense.

First you have to chlorinate the water supply effectively. Second you would have to add refrigeration to all of the markets and trucks and tuk tuks that brought supplies to the markets. Third you would have to add refrigeration to all the stands at the markets. Fourth you would have to add three compartment stainless steel sinks to all of the food vendors and restaurants. Fifth you would have to introduce bleach to Thailand. Sixth you would have to install inspectors at all of the food packing and processing facilities and in the growing areas. Seventh you would have to have an inspection arm with enough people to inspect all food handling facilities at least on a monthly basis. Eighth you would have to educate the food workers about bacteria and safe food handling procedures (I have been trying this at home for the past year with only one Thai person who thinks I am crazy). The cost of the project would be in the billions and the enforcement branch would have to be as large as the Thai Army. Also with all this new enforcement it might be wise to consider that not wearing a motorcycle helmet is against the law in Thailand as is prostitution and gambling.

Plus the overwhelming fact that Thais don’t think there is a problem.

On a plus note I have heard that the charcoal pills may prevent being drugged in a bar and Cravit certainly knocks out most minor social diseases.

Great man! I've got a terrible problem with kleptomania, halitosis and weed. If I try Cravit, do you think it'll cure me? :o

The charcoal pills might help the halitosis if you chewed them. Although this may turn your teeth black. If you live in a hill tribe village no one will notice. As far as the weed problem there must still be some stockpiles of agent orange here and that is very effective at controlling weeds.

About food handling being rocket science the problems I see would be very difficult to solve. The expenditure would be immense.

First you have to chlorinate the water supply effectively. Second you would have to add refrigeration to all of the markets and trucks and tuk tuks that brought supplies to the markets. Third you would have to add refrigeration to all the stands at the markets. Fourth you would have to add three compartment stainless steel sinks to all of the food vendors and restaurants. Fifth you would have to introduce bleach to Thailand. Sixth you would have to install inspectors at all of the food packing and processing facilities and in the growing areas. Seventh you would have to have an inspection arm with enough people to inspect all food handling facilities at least on a monthly basis. Eighth you would have to educate the food workers about bacteria and safe food handling procedures (I have been trying this at home for the past year with only one Thai person who thinks I am crazy). The cost of the project would be in the billions and the enforcement branch would have to be as large as the Thai Army. Also with all this new enforcement it might be wise to consider that not wearing a motorcycle helmet is against the law in Thailand as is prostitution and gambling.

Plus the overwhelming fact that Thais don’t think there is a problem.

All of your suggestions appear to be possible in Thailand. But it takes the will to solve the problem.

For example, refrigeration never seems to be a problem when vendors are selling something that customers expect to be chilled. I've never had a problem buying a chilled soda or had to drink "iced coffee" without ice..Even street vendors have access to ice. It's just that most market vendors restaurant owners in Thailand think a refrigerator is meant for sodas cans and beer bottles...not for fresh meats.

I think it has more to do with your last statement: Many Thais don't think there is a problem. They accept the occasional food poisoning and dysentary as "normal".

I wonder how broken sidewalks and walkways compare to food poisoning in the 'number of injuries' and 'numbers of deaths' categories?

If you're not looking down when you're walking, you must be walking somewhere else

I believe that part about food poisoning. My worst experience w/ food poisoning was in LOS. I was bedridden for a week w/ cramps and diarrhea. When I vacation in LOS, it's usually diarrhea on a daily basis. :D

Same for me, twice, last one was really serious.

Yep, I was laid up in Bangkok Hospital for a week and 120,00 Baht bill after eating some smoked salmon I bought from Villa on Sukhumvit....I NEVER buy supposedly "Fresh Food" there any more and have given up eating smoked salmon completely, just in case.

When we had a power cut at our restaurant we informed the ice cream suppliers that we were expecting one and they said they would arrive early the next morning to put covers on to maintain the temperature. Despite severalphone calls they never came and the Ice Cream turned to slush over the 8 hours the power was out. The next day the Manager came with completely new stock..yet hey removedall the boxes of Ice Cream which had since re-frozen.

Do you imagine they threw it away...or as it passed on to someone else? :o

Would they REALLY dispose of 8,000 Baht's worth of the stuff? :D

You don't have to be Albert E to work it out do you :D

Whether the Norwich Union survey is correct or just a load of rubbish is not actually important...(although it seems to be based on insurance claims, so there must be an element of truth in there)

What is important is that potential tourists/visitors to Thailand will read this survey and assume the worst. Couple this with the recent 'farang' murders in LoS that have been reported in the UK press and Thailand then starts to drop down the list of suitable places to visit.

'We had a choice between Thailand and The Maldives, so we chose The Maldives because it's much safer'

'I'd love to visit Thailand, but my stomach isn't very good with foreign food. I think I'll visit the USA instead'

and so on and so on

Not really good news for Thailand.

If you look at the activities listed, (food poisoning, traffic accidents, theft, loss of belongings), then the chances of these occuring can all be reduced if the tourist takes some positive action.

Don't eat in a restaurant if it looks dirty. Don't eat off the street if you are not used to it. Don't ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Don't ride a motorcycle if you are drunk. Don't ride a motorcycle if you have never ridden one before. Don't flash your money about. do use hotel room safes. Do look after your belongings. Don't be a wally and visit Nana Plaza if you are old, fat and are attracted to Thai women.

A lot of this is down to educating the touirist.

Simon

Where did you get my description from ? do I know you ? :o

I think most cases of food poisoning are down to faecal contamination of food. Many (most?) Thais do not wash their hands after doing a "number 2" but use the water sprays which are probably contaminated and spray minute quantities of "number 2" onto the hand. Then a final wipe with a tissue.

I'd like to think that in large hotels and pricier restaurants the staff are required to wash hands thoroughly.

I think most cases of food poisoning are down to faecal contamination of food. Many (most?) Thais do not wash their hands after doing a "number 2" but use the water sprays which are probably contaminated and spray minute quantities of "number 2" onto the hand. Then a final wipe with a tissue.

I'd like to think that in large hotels and pricier restaurants the staff are required to wash hands thoroughly.

Lets not forget the use of the little finger to scratch the bottom of the brain via the nasal cavity as well! Another good source of bacteria.

I agree with the earlier post that stated that it can be done, but is such an immense task and the local population don't particularly view it as a problem. Where to begin. There is no short term solution to this problem.

This is not at all surprising. Anyone who reads the paper, sees TV posts etc., should know it's a risky place. That doesn't mean it's not a lovely place or a place worth visiting, it just means that people need to be warned and be careful.

Lots of risky places are worth it.

Maybe the insurance claim statistics do not work in countries like Vietnam and Cambodia, so Thailand is at the bottom of the "covered" list - last one in the World Cup, but still ahead of countries that didn't even qualify.

Take India - how easy or difficult is to claim your insurance there? Say you have a food poisoning. Are there any decent hospitals outside of major cities? If not, and you are left with dodgy ayurveda practitioners, will your problem will be ever registered with Norwich Union?

Maybe the insurance claim statistics do not work in countries like Vietnam and Cambodia, so Thailand is at the bottom of the "covered" list - last one in the World Cup, but still ahead of countries that didn't even qualify.

Take India - how easy or difficult is to claim your insurance there? Say you have a food poisoning. Are there any decent hospitals outside of major cities? If not, and you are left with dodgy ayurveda practitioners, will your problem will be ever registered with Norwich Union?

And try getting a police report (usually necessary for theft claims) in China, Cambodia or Laos. Its not impossible, but can be so time consuming, confusing and costly (bribes) that many don't bother.

Once I needed to get a police report in North Korea. It took my translater a good half hour to stop laughing once he had figured out what I needed!

Thailand 'most risky place for holidaymakers'

Austria was named the most likely place to suffer a skiing or snowboarding accident.......

Quoting R4199246, (Posted on 2006-07-10, Post #37), ".....but I was told at University that statistics can be used to support any point of view". This is so true. Statistical evidence, particularly that which has been obtained from surveys, is susceptible to all sorts errors (sampling, population, corrupted data). Deliberate, or inadvertent, misinterpretation is also a possible.

The only thing that this particular survey proves, completely and without qualification, is that Thailand is an extremely safe place for skiing or snowboarding. Very few accidents from these activities. :o

What is important is that potential tourists/visitors to Thailand will read this survey and assume the worst

and what should they assume ?

disease ridden women and food ?

well i guess we have nothing to worry about

oh and don't forget to duck the odd bullet

Regarding the report. AOL have been running a survey as a result of the article, the question being: Where would you feel least safe? South Africa (54%), Britain (20%), Thailand (17%) and the Caribbean (9%).

Personally, I've been to all of them and haven't felt unsafe anywhere.

did you get off the plane ?

Just finished reading the news from my home country. Let's see, police looking for two serial killers shooting people at random in the Phoenix area (where my folks live), a mother and daughter were shot to death while hiking in the cascades near Seattle (where some cousins live), and the Mayor of Washington D.C. (where a sister lives) has declared an emergency after there were 14 murders there in 13 days, including a man whose throat was slit during a mugging in the Georgetown area. Of course while that last statistic is bad it was worse a few years back when there was a killing a day for about 8 years. Danger? I'll take Thailand any day thank you very much.

Guest endure
This story has just appeared as the headline on Yahoo UK home page.

Thailand 'the most hazardous place' for British tourists Monday July 10, 01:53 PM

LONDON (AFP) - Thailand is the most hazardous destination for British holidaymakers, according to a leading insurance provider's analysis of claims made by its globe-trotting clients.

The Southeast Asian nation -- famous for its food, beaches and Buddhist temples -- was the place where tourists were most likely to suffer food poisoning, theft, traffic accidents and lost belongings, Norwich Union said.

Travellers to South Africa were the most likely to suffer violent robberies or lose their belongings in transit, while Austria was the most likely place to suffer a skiing or snowboarding accident.

The Czech Republic had the highest number of claims from holidaymakers who had been pickpocketed, and the Caribbean was the worst place for insect bites and stings.

The safest place to holiday was Ireland, followed by Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and France -- all within the European Union, and just a few hours at the most from any British airport.

"The purpose of our research is not to worry tourists looking forward to their summer holidays, but just to make them aware of what can go wrong when they're away from home," said Norwich Union travel product manager Dawn McMullan.

The survey was based on more than 60,000 claims made to Norwich Union in 2005 -- the calendar year after the December 24, 2004 tsunami that killed 5,400 people in Thailand and ravaged many of the country's seaside resorts.

It's interesting as to what they mean by "lost belongings". Is this robbery, theft from the hotel room or absentmindedly leaving your genuine elephant carving in the back of a tuk tuk?

Or even all the belongings that were swept away in the tsunami. I would have thought that this sort of research carried out immediately after a major natural disater struck the area would be atypical to say the least.

Guest endure
"The purpose of our research is not to worry tourists looking forward to their summer holidays, but just to make them aware of what can go wrong when they're away from home," said Norwich Union travel product manager Dawn McMullan.

'The purpose of our "research" is to frighten people into buying more insurance, preferably from us.'

Guest endure
I ask myself the same. I have a long, long way to go. Being able to fully comprehend the newspaper would be nice.

How long have you been learning Thai meadish?