Quick summary of experience getting first time license

heybruce

I finally got my motorbike license this past week; it was time-consuming and tedious, but doable. With the exception of the driving test the requirements and process are identical for the motorbike and automobile license. Below is a quick summary of requirements and what to expect:

I went to the Chiang Mai license place (don't recall it's formal name) at 8 a.m with many documents; they only wanted my passport, signed copy of passport picture page, signed copy of visa page (non-immigrant one year), health certificate, proof of residence and two passport size pictures less than six months old. I suspect they reached their training capacity for the day sometime between 8:30 and 9 a.m., with late arrivals turned away.

The "training" started with a one hour video with English subtitles (only readable to people sitting on the front row) at 9 a.m., followed by video's and lectures in Thai from 10 a.m. to noon then 1 to 3 p.m. The English subtitle video was useless, and I couldn't follow enough to the Thai to get anything useful from it. I spent the time reviewing an English language training manual available for trainees. We were allowed to briefly leave the room to go for a toilet break or to get coffee, but we couldn't slip out early and return just before the end.

The computer test started at 3 p.m., they only had enough computers for about one third of the people so most of us sat and waited for a computer to become available. When I took the test my and all other computers froze several times, after I answered all questions I clicked on the 'finish' button without checking my answers. The results were 39 out of 50 correct, I needed 45 or better. I looked at the first three questions I missed and two of them were questions that had not been on my test (perhaps something to do with the computer freezes). I tried to discuss this with one of the test monitors, but she quickly closed the test program and sent me away so she could use the computer for someone else.

I don't know if anyone passed the test, the two people I talked to, one Thai and one Australian, didn't. In spite of this we were allowed to take the 'skills' test where we drove our motorbikes through a short course, demonstrating we knew how to stop at the appropriate places, signal, climb a hill, maneuver, and drive in a straight line. It took a little skill but not a lot. I think everyone passed.

That evening I studied the sample tests here: http://phuket.dlt.go.th/index/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=65. There are a total of 90 questions in these three tests, and most of the questions on the two official tests I took are in these 90 questions. Some of the questions are poorly translated and some of the answer choices are debatable, but the answers shown at this link are the answers you should use to pass the computer test.

The next morning I returned to the license place at 10 a.m. and retook the test. There were no computer freezes this time, I reviewed all the questions and answers before clicking on 'finish', and I passed with a score of 47 out of 50.

The computer link with Bangkok was down so I was told to return the next day to finish the process, but at 13:30 p.m. I received a call from a friend who told me the link with Bangkok had been restored. I returned at 2:30 and had my license a little before 4:30 p.m.

Recommendations, starting with the most important:

1. Study the tests at the link above. You get no points for being informed, logical or experienced, you have to provide the answers the computer expects.

2. When taking the computer test, before you click on the 'finish' button, review all the questions to make sure the questions or your answers haven't changed (especially if there was a computer problem while you took the test).

3. The driving test is easy but it is possible to fail it, drive slow and carefully, don't get careless or cocky.

4. Bring something to read, a gadget to play with, or some other means to kill time at the end when you're waiting for your turn to have your license made. I waited for over 90 minutes.

I can't guarantee that your experience will be the same, but it will probably be similar. Good luck.

You only need to take a test if the licence from your home country doesn't include motorbikes.

True, this is my first motorbike license. I don't own a car in Thailand and don't want to deal with the hassle. I do have an auto license from home and an IDL if I ever need to drive a car here, now I also have a Thia motorbike license and an acceptable Thai ID if ever subjected to one of those police checks.

You only need to take a test if the licence from your home country doesn't include motorbikes.

True, this is my first motorbike license. I don't own a car in Thailand and don't want to deal with the hassle. I do have an auto license from home and an IDL if I ever need to drive a car here, now I also have a Thia motorbike license and an acceptable Thai ID if ever subjected to one of those police checks.

Valid full car driving home licences and IDP's (IDL) only valid for 90 days in Thailand, if your on non-imm visa you need to get a Thai licence using you home licence.