Digital nomads! Here's the report from the woman who you claimed got your permission.

Now read the real report, from the reporter who actually asked the question about digital nomads:

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd1

As you can see, the meeting covered a lot of ground and the topic of digital nomads came up as a topic during the Q & A -- it was not a major policy announcement.

I think Shana Kongmun is to be congratulated for summarizing a complex bi-lingual meeting and doing great analysis of what it means to her readers -- the expats in Chiang Mai.

Incidentally, I'm the glum looking one in the colorful dress in the second photograph. I didn't want to look like I was happy to be invited to such a meeting.

Edited by NancyL

This I'll presume is the pertinent paragraph:

He noted that online work for overseas companies that pay overseas is not prohibited but that the person will need to get a visa to stay longer, currently there is no new visa for these kinds of people.

"He noted that online work for overseas companies that pay overseas is not prohibited but that the person will need to get a visa to stay longer, currently there is no new visa for these kinds of people."

So there is no visa category for online workers but it is not exactly prohibited under other visas. In other words, it is not very important issue for them. No law book covers every possible case and they have made a judgement call.

Edited by Timwin

Timmy boy, stamp your feet a little kore. There is no permission, it is still at present illegal, and I expect that it will remain that way for so time.

You want to live here, set up a company, pay income tax, so it as others do.

You are probably one of the first to moan about illegal immigrants in your own country working.

• Like 2