90 day non-O cannot be extended ?

I just got back from Hat Yai immigration.

At the moment, I'm waiting on arrival of my new UK passport which i applied for 2 months ago.

I had enough room in my passport (5cm) for a 60 day extension, which would tide me over until my new passport arrived.

I had previously applied for one extension before Songkran, and thats the only 60 day, extension applied for since my marriage 4 years ago.

I was told ( quite rudely ) that 60 day extensions were only issued once.

When I asked for some help concerning my passport situation he told me i could get a 7 day extension for 1,900B - I'm hoping, actually go to the border and get an in/out for free for 30 days,

When I pushed the guy for a solution, he told me to "go back to your country, get out" or pay the 500B a day overstay until the passport arrives. Obviously not understanding, i don't have a passport to travel on.

I was given a letter in Thai regarding the 400,000B which i will scan and post, when we left an assistant who we spoke and assured me there were no problems came running out and suggested I go to Sadao ( is she for real ? I will go to Padang Bezar where the boss can communicate in a polite manner ) Stay out of the country one night and return to get a 30 day in/out.

Anyone else heard of this further problem ?

On a further note, I was told that one of my marriage certificates is out of date and Im required to go to the 'amour' ??

You can only get one 60 day extension per entry. It does not even matter if you have been extending that same entry for years.

I would get the 7 day extension and hope to get the new passport before that runs out.

Not sure about doing a border crossing with your passport possibly cancelled. In theory it would not be expected that there would not be a record of it that immigration could access but their was a report of a person having a problem leaving the country while waiting for their new passport.

I don't understand what the 400,000 baht was about other than a requirement to get an extension based upon marriage.

I think they were talking about your Kor Ror 2 marriage registry being out of date some offices want a recent one to do an extension. A marriage certificate cannot be out of date.

60 days extensions are only given once per entry into Thailand so can't use it again without leaving and getting a getting a new visa. Some immigration offices limit it to only once a year., which appears to be the case here.

Another immigration office will not do it without proof that you and your wife actually live in their area, rental contract or household registration book of your wife.

Marriage certificate out of date is probably the Khor rhor 2 form, the registry entry of your marriage. You can get a new one from any amphur (district office) for about 20 baht. it needs to be updated as it shows you are still married.

Yeah I understand .. Sorry, I was in a hurry and stressed.

I extended one in march for 60 days, I went to khota Baru on the 8th may and this visa expires on 30th August .. Immigration said I can only extend one 90 day EVER

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

They are incorrect is saying you can only do one ever. It is clearly once per entry in the rules and many people have gotten several.

The date you got the visa and the date your entry ends do no add up correctly. If it was a 90 day entry it should of run out already.

It expires on 30th August .. I am at pedang besar immigration office now .. They are saying that its only possible one time explained by a very polite immigration officer.

Apparently there is something written in my passport.

I will scan some documents later but it seems the best they can do is send me to the border post, I need to explain about waiting for a new passport to arrive and they will let me do a in/out turn around other than that I will have to leave one day stay one night and then return the next.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Just to make myself clear, I had one previous extension maybe 3 years back.

1. 90 Day visa stamp from KB consulate on 5th Jan.

w80sCdM.jpg

2. I arrived on the 6th January.

MCwDvPY.jpg

3. This expired a week before Songkran, my parents were due to visit, so we were busy decorating and I didn't want to rush away to renew the visa, so i extended it at HY immigration.

pWK48Ao.jpg

Please note there is an additional stamp which translates that i am here 'visiting my wife', this has been pointed at several times today.

4. And a final non-O issued at KB, which used on 2nd June > valid until the 30th August 2014.

obfQ6So.jpg

So .. Does anyone have any opinions ..

All through the process I have been polite, and taken the approach that i need the extension to wait for my new passport and would they be willing to help ?

From what i have read on TV, i shouldn't have been refused.

I even went to the border to ask about an in/out who pointed me to Padang Bezar immigration for a second opinion. Who sat me down, only looked at the pages you can see here and politely and simply informed me it was only possible for a 7 day extension after I had one other extension in my passport, however if i was a tourist i would get 30 days

If this is BS, then I have no recourse - if its a new rule then be warned .. also is it another new rule only applicable to southerners.

Also worth a note - I thought all immigration offices opened at 8.30 after standing to the flag ( especially those in a police station ) - Not in Hat Yai.

We arrived earlier than planned, at 8.35 AM, and watched the officials meander in after their breakfast, watch the sport news on TV, and refuse to deal with anyone until 9.30 AM.

The first guy, not Thai, maybe Burmese or Cambodian, had his passport thrown on the counter, followed by a shout and the slam of the sliding glass hatch, next two Chinese ladies were told the same as myself, they were wishing to extend a non-O visa and were given a no, goodbye, go to a consulate.

I was no.3 and accused of not having the 400,000B to show to get a 12 month visa, 'go back to my own country, go home' and then told to suck up the 500B a day overstay until my passport arrives. Nice.

Maybe immigration does need to be looked at by the General, not the westerners who are supposably misusing it but the Thai's who operate it.

There is no new rule. It is once per entry.

It could just be another one of those things that immigration in the south has started on their own.

Sorry to repeat myself.

Some time ago I mentioned that there was a thread where a poster had a similar problem.

He was told that the 2 months can only be given once on the basis of a non im o visa, NOT once on every entry or extention connected to that visa.

Obviously different immigration offices apply different rules.

edited: bold typing: or extension

Edited by nidieunimaitre

What is the expiration date on your old passport? Even if they don't have access to the data base that shows that it has been cancelled, you need at least 6 month validity to enter Malaysia. If not you really are between a rock and a hard place.

Another option would be to travel somewhere serviced by a different immigration office, get a hotel room so that you have a local address, and try your luck with the 60 day extension there.

Thanks people ( and sorry for the sizing, i presumed the site would resize )

1. I have a full passport, which i have enough space for one extension stamp or an in/out to Malaysia .. I began the application process for a new UK passport, 3 months ago, one month to wait for an appointment, and two months waiting for any notice other than we have taken your money.

2. I asked at Hat Yai immigration office, they said 7 days as 60 days was not possible anymore. Wether or not, its was possible for others is a mystery.

3. I visited the Padang Bezar border to see if i could at least get a 30 day in/out without any problems. They said, yes, no problems but i would need to stay out of Thailand and come back the next day, they were helpful but wouldn't confirm if the IO would demand to see 20,000B.

They advised me to go to the immigration office to see if what i was doing was the best thing, who immediately after looking at my passport told me i would only get a 7 day extension, and that a 60 day wouldn't be possible because i had an extension in the past ..

i told him the border office had sent me down, before I had let on that I had already been to Hat Yai immigration in the morning. The guy was really helpful, his idea was to get a 30 day exemption on an in/out and he advised me to take all my papers and receipt from my passport application, explain and ask was it really necessary for me to stay out the country for a night, they might let it swerve.

I can understand IO having bad days at immigration, but it seems everyone was dancing to the beat of the same drum.

There is to be added, unfortunately that doesn't help the OP, that once the UK passport is cancelled, its data certainly goes to Interpol lost and stolen database. There is no positive evidence that Thailand checks this database as part of their standard procedures (MH370 case. Perhaps the OP will confirm is that is the case once he goes ahead and cross country, but to be on the safe side he should obtain an emergency travel document.

There is to be added, unfortunately that doesn't help the OP, that once the UK passport is cancelled, its data certainly goes to Interpol lost and stolen database. There is no positive evidence that Thailand checks this database as part of their standard procedures (MH370 case. Perhaps the OP will confirm is that is the case once he goes ahead and cross country, but to be on the safe side he should obtain an emergency travel document.

Desperate times, desperate measures, mate ! Im following the theory that my passport is sitting in a plastic box under a table in conference room in Liverpool and nothing has happened since I paid. There have been reports here of people successfully using passports to depart and arrive on cancelled passports, so I'm in the opinion that everything is worth a crack.

At the end of the day, i was told to do this by Thai immigration in two offices and at one border post, I will confirm with the border post again when i am about to leave. They could hold me at the IDT, notify the embassy, might speed up my case ?

I live in Hat Yai, to get an ETD, I will need to fly to BKK, then fly out of the country then turn around ( ETD's are only valid for air travel right ? ) which will give me an extra 30 days on arrival, with the combined cost at such a short notice, would come close to the maximum overstay.

Reports are that the old passport is cancelled at the time fee is charged to card. ETDs have some limitations, but are valid for land travel too.

You get 30 days visa exempt, air or land. Good luck!

Just to put this to bed.

Monday

HY immigration office : Refused 60 day extension with the wife present, between us we explained the situation politely. In return, coated off, abused, told to get a new Kor Ror Song and that they could only issue 7 days because of 1x prior extension to visit my wife.

Padang Bezar Immigration : Politely refused the 60 day extension, offered 7 days - and advised to speak to the border post, do an in-out to get 30 days.

Padang border post: Wouldn't confirm that i didn't have to stay out a night, didn't confirm 100% i would be asked to show 20,000B. Were totally confused when I suggested I would depart at 11.00 PM and return to Thailand at 1.00 AM.

Tuesday

Got confirmation that my UK passport was printed on 21st August - Reports suggest that i should get a phone call from Trendy to pick up the passport around 14 days after printing, give or take.

I then came to the decision, that if my passport hadn't been printed I would risk a in-out border hop, but considering i was 90% of the way to owning a new passport I woulnt risk it, go to immigration on Friday, 29th ( visa expires on Sat. 30th ) and cough up the 1900B for the week.

Wednesday

Visited the ampur with wife to get a new Kor Ror Song - The woman didn't even look at me, i was a ghost, my wife produced her ID, asked for the paper, 5 mins later we had a new print out of a worthless piece of paper, that we didn't even sign in front of her.

Friday

Let the wife do her job and went down to Hat Yai immigration alone, paperwork in hand, changed date on application form, threw it in the hole without a word.

Walked away, 10 mins later, a worker asked for a photo which was pinned to the passport page and told me i would get 2 months ( result! ) another 10 mins a student asks for a copy of the entry stamp.

10 minutes later another assistant walks out, literally throws my passport at me and says 'no room mister' and walks off .. i run after her trying to explain the situation, and the same guy who was rude on Monday asks whats up ? She shows the passport he shows her there is enough space to stamp, takes the passport and does it for her. (wt..?)

All this time, I didn't say a word to anyone, no one said anything remotely resembling a sentence to me.

5 minutes after, miss po face is back at the counter banging my passport on the counter .. cough up 1900B .. get outside .. check the passport .. 30 days extension.

OK, its not the 60 that I should have got but its enough for the passport to arrive, long enough to get a cheap flight to Bangkok, pick up the passport, and get to Sav for a 12 month, multi-entry O.

Why couldn't this been done on Monday, saving me a few sleepless nights.

These people have got a problem with people abusing the system .. hmm i wonder why ?

• Like 1

How is the situation in osmach immigration at Cambodia boarder ?

Can I extend 60 days non immigrant I one day before non o running out for how much?

Extension can only be applied for at an immigration office. It cannot be done at a border crossing.

Any entry can be extended for 60 days to visit a Thai wife or child.

Padang border post: Wouldn't confirm that i didn't have to stay out a night, didn't confirm 100% i would be asked to show 20,000B. Were totally confused when I suggested I would depart at 11.00 PM and return to Thailand at 1.00 AM.

So did you cross after all? And then got a 30 days extension making 60 total ?

So did you cross after all? And then got a 30 days extension making 60 total ?

No man, on Monday my back was against the wall, no news of where my passport was at, HY immigration playing hard ball.

I was prepared to run the risk, tonight .. a mission into Malaysia.

But, I had a thought that I wouldn't be able to return tonight (or at all) and stay out a dirty hotel in a dive town on the other side of the border, or even an IDC, with my shiny bike sitting in the border car park. Im just sick 'n tired (literally, i hadn't slept all week) of pleading for the help of some immigration officer.

When I heard my passport had already been printed and on its way .. I had a rethink. A 7 day 'refusal' extension gave me 7 days leeway, then I could suffer the overstay until a call from trendy.

With a 30 day, it should be plain sailing, I'm hoping to get a call at the end of next week.

I just hope it gave every immigration official one big hard-on to put me through the mill, throwing 'crown' property around, insulting my wife in her own language .. just because i applied for a passport 3 months ago.

• Like 1

So if you're still on the non-imm 'O' entry, but you got a 30 days extension for visiting wife instead of 60, the regulation is written in a way that implies extensions can be given even for less time that the maximum.

You proved the point of law and come out winning in a compromise. In the process have been shown the true face of a system where there is small people.. big people.. and many in between.

Don't worry, when you will have the new passport and paperwork you will get the 12 months extension, by now you know all the little things you need to do to avoid giving them a reason to disrespect you again. Try to not take it personal really.