coming back into Thailand

i'm planning on coming back to Thailand very soon on the tourist visa, i've only just left after 5 months to get a new passport which i now have

with the recent immigration clampdown will i have problems getting the 2-3 months tourist visa or coming through immigration after already being in Thailand so recently?

Wish all the questions were as easily answered.

Well, one prior visa sure is not going to hurt you...apparently. Curious what made you wonder why. Perhaps your prior passport was full of in and outs?

There are a few people that claim a new passport erases all prior traces/history of border running/warning stamps, etc. Just wondering if that was true.

Well, one prior visa sure is not going to hurt you...apparently. Curious what made you wonder why. Perhaps your prior passport was full of in and outs?

There are a few people that claim a new passport erases all prior traces/history of border running/warning stamps, etc. Just wondering if that was true.

about 8 border stamps (mostly not all together) and 1 tourist visa over the last 2 years, i have a new passport but i did wonder if this history will come up and what would happen if my new pp is swiped going through immigration

the visa form states i have to list my last 3 visits so i'm guessing i'll be asked when i apply at the embassy in London

i'm sure i saw another post/thread on here RE. someone with lots of border-runs/over-stays getting a new passport and coming straight back in?

about 8 border stamps (mostly not all together) and 1 tourist visa over the last 2 years, i have a new passport but i did wonder if this history will come up and what would happen if my new pp is swiped going through immigration

the visa form states i have to list my last 3 visits so i'm guessing i'll be asked when i apply at the embassy in London

i'm sure i saw another post/thread on here RE. someone with lots of border-runs/over-stays getting a new passport and coming straight back in?

Let me know if it works. Sounds like a real simple way to fix a problem. To tell you the truth, I do see this suggestion made quite often (just get a new passport). When I ask if this can actually work, the answer never really comes back yes or no...so I am thinking why not give it a try. Perhaps the silence is an indication of a possible loophole? In which case I am rocking the boat by inquiring.

I 'm not sure that immigration uses the databases to cross reference very much at the moment. I've never seen any examples of any computer use when I go across borders. perhaps i have just not noticed it though.

I 'm not sure that immigration uses the databases to cross reference very much at the moment. I've never seen any examples of any computer use when I go across borders. perhaps i have just not noticed it though.

You have not noticed. Each entry/exit is entered in a database will all relevant details. Even if the database is offline or the computers are out of service, they will manually update it at a later time

• Like 1

Immigration has its database and they can and do pick it up, even if you have dual nationality and use the passport of country X instead of Y.

Incredible that anyone would think otherwise........

I'm a similar situation to you.

Spent 1 year in Thailand.

6 months on double entry tourist visa.

6 months doing border runs.

Wasn't doing anything wrong or illegal.

Not working in Thailand.

Left Thailand to sort out some things at home.

Plan to be out of Thailand for 4 months total.

Then come back, if possible, on a triple entry visa.

I haven't applied for a new passport and don't really want to as I think it's a waste of money and I'm sure Thai immigration can check anyway if they want to.

If immigration at BKK airport can't see that information then it's scary to think how easy it is for people to get into Thailand.

Giving all the scaremongering going on and the hype about border runners being the route of all Thailands problems I'm convinced I'll have trouble returning due to my history of border runs.

A language school I spoke to about the EDU visa told me I probably would if I applied for an education visa and I expected them to say "mai pen rai" as they wanted my money.

Been told by many just get a new passport and all problems are solved but that seems like a myth to me.

Someone, somewhere. must have a record and if not immigration then who? Especially at the international airport!

Edited by TheSpade

Someone, somewhere. must have a record and if not immigration then who? Especially at the international airport!

Yes they have a record and then? You can still come and go as you please.

Yes they have a record and then? You can still come and go as you please.

So if they have a record why is "just get a new passport" so commonly repeated as if having a new passport is the solution to everything?

Based on the current hysteria it makes it seem like you can NOT "come and go as you please" especially if you have history of border runs in your passport.

Which I do - 6 months worth!

It all seems very uncertain!

It did sound too easy to erase records by simply getting a new passport. Just wondered if anybody was successful or not. I think Immigration does check the data base. In fact, they have no choice in the matter. How else would they be alerted to any warrants/improprieties/legal holds. Also, a brand new passport might prod them on to check the database even closer.

Some guys like to appear like they are all neat and squared away. I am sure a crispy new passport and white shirt/tie ensemble will get you through.... No shady character would think of looking like a businessman. Wink...wink. Lots of gossip on that. I just think if you have the right answers, documents, proper entry history...they will not deny you. I never seen an immigration official eyeball anybody, they are too busy looking at just your mug shot in the cam. Never saw them eyeball shoes, trousers, cufflinks on anything like that. They do not even look up.

Looking like one of those young Mormon Missionaries, with dark trousers, short sleeve white shirt, tie and name tag.....well....I think you just go through the express line. laugh.png

Edited by slipperylobster